Pages

Monday, November 20, 2006

An Attitude of Gratitude

“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” - William Arthur Ward

With thanksgiving just around the corner, I thought I would put down in words just a few of the many things I’m grateful for. Be they big or little, funny or serious, I thank you Lord for every one.

First, the serious ones, in no particular order…

I’m thankful for my dear, supportive, funny, talented, smart, loving husband and best friend. I don’t know what I did to deserve someone as amazing as you.

I’m thankful that we have a roof over our head (a nice blue one – newly installed this week), clothes on our backs and food on our table to eat. I just went to a conference where they showed a video for the World Vision charity. We have no idea just how much a “land of plenty” America really is.

I’m thankful I have a job (even though I have to drive practically across the state to get there) and I’m thankful my husband found a new job this week.

I’m thankful for a loving God and the gift of His Son.

I’m thankful for my friends and the laughter, support and encouragement they give me. Be it long-distance thru e-mails and chat windows, or right here in my church or in my neighborhood, I can always count on you to lift me up when I’m sad, pray for me all the time, call me out on my faults when they get out of hand, endure my times of worrisome fretfulness and I can always always count on you to make me laugh. I hope I give back just as much as you give to me.

I’m thankful that I had a wonderful dad, who taught me how to find beauty in everything and everyone.

I’m thankful for music and the ability to hear it.

I’m thankful for Dr. McGee, who managed to keep me out of the hospital when I was 12 years old, by trying out that last-resort drug on me.

I’m thankful for answered prayers.

I’m thankful for unanswered prayers too.

I’m thankful for all the wonderful, talented teachers I had throughout my education.

I’m thankful I have a car that runs.

I’m thankful for the bad times (as well as the good) because they’ve made me who I am.

And now for the not-so-serious ones…

I’m thankful for chocolate. (No explanation needed, right?)

I’m thankful that new episodes of Season 3 of LOST start in February.

I’m thankful for online banking.

I’m thankful for the snooze button.

I’m thankful for Tivo. (I notice a technology pattern developing here…)

I’m thankful no one can hear me when I sing along with the radio in the car.

Did that sound like a really bad awards acceptance speech? (I’d like to thank my tour manager…) I hope not. I invite you to post a comment and let me know some of the things you’re thankful for…

7 comments:

Laura said...

I'm grateful for a wonderful Church home where I can be myself with my friends. We are on the same page and I love that, and you!

D.L. White said...

Ditto! Right back at ya, Laura! Have a great Thanksgiving! :)

Jesica said...

I'm thankful that last night, when I went to dinner with friends I hadn't seen in a while, they said they didn't recognize me and called me "the incredible shrinking woman"! Yeah!
Vain, yes. Honest...yes, I'm honest...it was awesome!
So, to celebrate, we're having pizza tonight! :)

Now, on a more serious note...I was sitting in the Women of Faith conference this weekend, listening to one speaker talk about her friends that are "Jesus with skin on" and just COULD not contain my tears!

It's been a really REALLY long time since we were in a church with people that we love so much! I am amazed by the wonderful women in our church, and am so thankful for all of you!

D.L., you hold an especially precious place in my heart! You, too Laura. :)

D.L. White said...

Thanks Jesica! I'm grateful to be able to call you friend! :) And I feel the same way too - so blessed to be in such an awesome church with awesome people! I loved that speaker at the conference too, and her description of her friends as "Jesus with skin on"! What a powerful message! I hope and strive to be that for my friends. :)

Laura said...

Davina,
I know this has been a difficult week, please continue to be encouraged by your faith in God. He is so faithful and He knows what is in store for our lives. You and Shawn are a blessing to us, you will come through this with stronger faith and deeper love for His commitment to you.

Hang in there, we're still praying for you!

astraughnomer said...

hi davina, thanks for posting this. we had a tradition back when i was a student at arkansas of emailing random "thank you God" lists; it was fantastic! from things like toasted blueberry bagels to healing of sick loved ones, it was always so encouraging.

you guys are still in my prayers during this tough week. i hope you are doing okay. we love you guys!! you are such a blessing.

D.L. White said...

Hey Laura - thanks for your kind words. It's the support of good friends like you that is helping us get thru all this!

Hey Amber - thanks also for your kind words. Also, that is an awesome idea - a random "thank you God" list. Maybe that's something we should all do every now and then on our blogs. Like you say - it is so encouraging! We're so quick to ask for prayers when life is rough, but we always forget to report the praises when things are going well. :)