Pages

Friday, November 03, 2006

To Blog or Not to Blog


To blog or not to blog, that is the question... So yeah, I finally decided to relent and give in to the peer pressure and start a blog. My dear husband has been after me for ages to get my own blog. I'm not sure if it's so I'll stop pestering him with my ideas about what he should post on his blog, or if he thinks I really having something interesting to say! (ha ha - just kidding - I know it's the latter.) So here I am.

I haven't really decided yet what the purpose of this blog is going to be. I have a website with a friend of mine (which is currently under massive renovation - otherwise I would post a link here, so that you could visit it). I'm toying with the idea of making this blog an extension of that overall idea/purpose. That website works off an Alice in Wonderland and Mad Tea Party theme, which would give you some hints as to why I chose to use this blog title and quote, and it consists of articles analyzing and discussing the arts (movies, music, art, literature, etc.)

Or should I use this blog, to talk about my daily life and random musings, and keep all my far-away friends updated with my goings-on? Should I write in my real voice (like I am now) or should I write in the voice/character I use for my website? Should this be a place where I can test drive some of my fiction writing? I just can't decide. I think it might be a mix of all of those things.

All I know is, I have professed to be a "writer" from a very young age. It has always been a passion of mine, but I am sorrowed to admit that I have done very little writing lately. (I can hear my husband reading this and saying for the billionth time, "How close are you to finishing your book?") Perhaps this blog will help me dust off some rusty writing gears and get the creative juices flowing again.

Either way, I'm happy to be here! Please post a comment and let me know what aspect of blogs interests you most, or more specifically, let me know which direction I should take mine...

13 comments:

Storm in a Teacup said...

STAG said...
I think you should post your book, a chapter at a time. Or even better, one scene at a time. Then visitors could critique it. Your hubby perhaps, he seems like a supportive kind of guy. Me, I hate critisism, but I know that what sounds nice to me may be jarring on another's ear.

You don't have to put them in any order either. In fact, it is even better when a scene is "sufficient unto itself", either stand alone or with minimal "stage directions".

A really fun blog with a writer who does this is...ah...you'll just think I am promoting another's blog. I'll send you the url if you ask though.

Regards.
Bill
stag@cyberus.ca

Storm in a Teacup said...

Ragamuffin said...
welcome to the blog-o-sphere sweetie! glad to see you finally jumped on board. :)

now...when will that book be done? :p

shawn

Storm in a Teacup said...

Elizabeth C. said...
Yea! I'm so excited that you'll be blogging now! You've asked all the same questions that I asked myself when I started my blog (except I never professed to be a writer!). In fact, our first entrys are quite similar.

I think all of all the things you mentioned will be great to blog about. It will keep us all guessing what mood you might be in on a certain day. ; )

Welcome! I look forward to reading the things you share.

Storm in a Teacup said...

Neena said...
I am so glad you started a blog. That is exciting. Like Elizabeth said whatever you want to write about will be great. It's all yours.

Storm in a Teacup said...

astraughnomer said...
hey there! yep, we'll be happy to read whatever you write. :) i would certainly be interested to see some of your fiction...very cool!!

hope you guys had a fantastically spooky halloween. :)

Storm in a Teacup said...

Laura said...
Hey Davina, glad you are jumping in! I hope you have more time to write on your own blog than I... it seems time (or interest) is available to comment on the blogs of others to the demise of my own!

I suppose Dan is the only "non-blog" owner left to convert!

Welcome aboard!

Storm in a Teacup said...

Dan S said...
Hey, welcome a board... a, well, hmm, ... I guess I'd better get on board.... soon.

D

Storm in a Teacup said...

D. L. White said...
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm definitely going to have to get into a consistent routine of posting and checking comments...

BILL (i.e. "Stag")
Thanks for the input. Posting a chapter of my book at a time, although tempting, would violate the agreement I have with my co-author. But it would be cool to maybe post some vignettes or maybe some of the experimental writing we did when developing our characters. I’ll have to think about it. Please feel free to post the URL of the writer’s blog you mentioned. I have really only visited my friend’s blogs and have not taken the time to explore the whole blogosphere, so I’d love to know of some good blogs to visit.

RAGAMUFFIN
Thanks for the welcome. I’m glad to no longer be lurking in the shadows, posting anonymously. You’ll need to give me a technical crash course later. I already have a few questions about the format of my page. As far as your question about the book… I wish I could answer “Today!”

ELIZABETH
Thanks for the welcome! How funny we both had a similar first-post! I’m all for technology and the internet and all that, but when it came to blogs, myspace and that type of thing, I’ve kept very very far away from it because I’m really a shy private person. (I know some of you are shaking your heads right now – but seriously – it’s true.) I didn’t like the idea just sticking myself out there in the (virtual) public eye, especially with all the crazy people lurking on the net. Then I realized the only people that will be visiting my blog will be people who know me in the real world. :P (Although Bill, the first poster on my site, has somewhat disproved that theory.)

NEENA
Thanks for the welcome!

ASTRAUGHNOMER
We had a great Halloween! We watched “28 Days Later” – a great scary modern zombie movie! I recommend it! :)

LAURA
I hear you! I’m hoping that having a blog will actually force me to schedule time in for writing!

DAN
Jump on in! The water’s fine!

D.L. White said...

STAG said...
Nice pic. So whats the weather like in Peoria?

D.L. White said...

Laura said...
I'll be stopping by regularly... please have a post available at least once a week as I like to read and comment.

Thanks!

D.L. White said...

D. L. White said...
We're finally into our "fall" weather here in Arizona - 80s during the day, 60s at night. It's beautiful! (and there's no snow to shovel!)

Hey Laura - thanks for the suggestion! I think I'm going to definitely shoot for at least once a week - hopefully it will be more.

hyacinthinemoon said...

Alright! It is about time. I have been waiting for you to start a blog someday. I am so glad you finally decided to. I really like your concept idea for this new blog and your icon is really cool. I think I will like hanging out here and I will stop by to visit often.

D.L. White said...

Thanks for the compliments Hyacinthine! I'm looking forward to getting our website renovated so I can link this blog to it, as an extension of our original "mission statement". ;)