Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Here We Come A-Caroling

With all the struggles and drama that has been going on in our lives recently, I’ve had a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit; so much so that I’ve re-named myself “Lady Scrooge.” Several times, I had logged in to write a new post for this blog, but everything that came out of the keyboard was bitter or negative or angry or depressing. And I just couldn’t subject my loyal readers (all two of you) to that kind of reading material. However, things have gotten a “little” bit better and I’ve finally mustered up the courage (and restraint) to write a nice little Christmas post.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always enjoyed going Christmas caroling. Sometimes we would go more than once within the season – through a couple neighborhoods, the nursing home, and the hospital. I have always loved music and always loved the beauty and celebratory nature of Christmas hymns. Plus, caroling always seemed like a way to be transported back into time, when streets and town squares were filled with music and when there was more of a sense of community and goodwill. Not to mention it was the one time of the year where you could share the good news of Jesus without someone accusing you of not being politically correct or saying that you were offending them. There’s just something about a Christmas carol that makes people smile, regardless of their background or beliefs.

When I got older, our church stopped caroling (a long story) and I really missed it. But then came high school and I made a friend whose family had a big caroling party. Every year, all his friends, and all his siblings and their friends, would carol around the neighborhood, then we’d all pack into their big warm house for tasty homemade baked goods: gingersnaps, pumpkin bread, banana bread, sugar cookies, fudge and hot chocolate – as well as more singing to the accompaniment of their piano. When they moved away, and Christmas rolled around, I really missed those parties. I hadn’t gone caroling since then.

So, suffice it to say, last year when our new church announced there would be a caroling party, I was ecstatic. We went again this year and it was truly the only time this holiday season, where my heart felt light and I truly felt in the spirit of the season. It’s one thing to just wish someone a merry Christmas. It’s an even stronger sentiment when you sing it to them.

The ironic part of this whole story is – I can’t sing well at all. I couldn’t carry a note in a bucket if my life depended on it. So I make sure to stand in the back and not sing too loud. But I enjoy it all the same, talent or not.

What’s your favorite caroling song? Let me know in the Comments section. (I like O Come All Ye Faithful, Carol of the Bells and We Wish You a Merry Christmas.)

3 comments:

The Trousered Ape said...

prolly:

O Come All Ye Faithful - what a great song!

Laura said...

It's hard for me to pick a favorite Christmas carol, I love Christmas music, but only the ones that actually talk about the birth of Jesus, I'm not a big fan of Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, etc.

If pressed for just one, I would say my favorite Christmas carol is Silent Night, but my favorite Christmas song is Ave Maria sung by Placido Domingo (that one's hard for a bunch of people to sing together in a front yard).

p.s. So, am I one of the two readers you have?

D.L. White said...

You're right - that would be a hard one to pull off! :P

And yes, you are one of my loyal readers. :D I'm glad to count you as one! :)