Pages

Friday, December 01, 2006

A Little Perspective...

"Pleasures are but for a moment.
Suffering is but for a moment.
All that matters is that which is eternal."

So, we were victims of a home burglary over the holiday weekend. For a more detailed description of what happened, jump on over to Shawn's website.

I opened my blog earlier this week, thinking I would write a new post, to take my mind off things. When I saw my previous, thanksgiving post, it certainly was prophetic. None of the items that were stolen, were on my list of things I was thankful for. Interesting...and true, I can live without the things that were taken. They were just things. (That doesn't mean I don't feel violated, angry and scared, by the way.)

Everything we have is on loan from God, even the air we breathe. Does he want us to enjoy the things He's blessed us with? Yes, definitely. Does he want us to set our hearts on those things? No. This whole experience has been an interesting journey for me and has just reinforced the things that I already knew. When I feel up to it, I may write more about it. But for now, I'm just trying to focus on the fact that I'm safe, Shawn's safe and God's in control. That's all that matters.

3 comments:

Elizabeth C. said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to suffer this bad experience. But I must say, your perspective is right on! Your example of faith is the face of hardship is an inspiration!

You remain in our prayers and if there is anything you need or anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to let us know.

We're thankful that your grandmother is doing better.

D.L. White said...

Thanks Elizabeth! The kind supportive words of friends like you has been a big help and has kept us smiling! :)

Kathleen said...

What a terrible thing to have happen, but I am very thankful that you are safe and well.