Pages

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Five Things You Don't Know About Me

Well, I was just "tagged" by my fellow blogger Elizabeth, to list out five things that people may not know about me. This is a hard task, since some of you who read this blog have known me practically forever, but I'll give it a shot.

1. One of my favorite songs is "Blue Moon" by the Marcels. I once called the local oldies radio station to request it, and the DJ said "Are you even old enough to know that song?" (I was about 10 years old) and I was so offended. When most kids my age were listening to Bon Jovi, Debbie Gibson, Wham! etc. I was listening to the Del Vikings, Buddy Holly and the Everly Brothers. Quiz me on an old fifties song in the comments; I bet you I know it. ;-)

2. I missed my 8th grade graduation, by choice. When I was in 8th grade, my team won a state scholastic competition and we went to the nationals in Washington D.C. (Yeah, I was a total nerd.) I had to miss 8th grade graduation to go, and my friends gave me much grief over it, but I didn't even care. I got to see an original Renoir painting at the National Museum of Art (among other things). That whole trip is one big happy memory for me.

3. I didn't go to my Senior Prom. In fact, I never went to any dance or prom. I went to a rock concert the night of my Junior Prom and had a blast. I never understood why people wanted to pay to get dressed up and stand around and whisper about each other the whole night (who was there with who, who was dressed in what, etc.) If they'd been 50's dancing or swing dancing (ah -back in the day when dancing used to actually be fun) I would have been there with bobby socks on!

4. I was an EXTREMELY shy kid. I was one of those kids who, if you just said "hello" to me, I'd hide behind my mother's legs. Didn't get much better as I got older. I preferred to just sit in a corner and listen, taking it all in. Besides, I was teased and picked on already by kids because of the way I looked, so I felt like opening my mouth, and risk saying something stupid, would just give them more ammunition. I almost failed a history class (regardless of perfect "A's" on all tests and homework) because I wouldn't participate in class discussion. I still feel that shy now, especially when I'm in new situations or around new people - I clam up.

5. I illustrated a children's book when I was 16 years old. It never got published, but I did the artwork for every single page. It was a story about a boy who couldn't get rid of his hiccups. A guy who was trying to break into children's books wrote the story, and he was referred to me by an art teacher. At one point, that was my goal in life, to write and illustrate children's books. It's still something I think about doing.

Well, that ended up being a trip down memory lane! Most of you already know the more current "interesting things" about me, so we had to take a trip to the past. Hope you enjoyed reading them!

Now...I'm going to tag...
KATHLEEN!

10 comments:

Laura said...

I love these lists too, you always learn something new about your friends that you might not find out in casual conversation.

I'm not a 50's music fan per se, so I don't think I'd be very good at quizzing you. I am a Beach Boys, Bee Gees's and Abba fan. I wish I had as many Scriptures committed to memory as song lyrics!

p.s. Welcome Back!

D.L. White said...

My favorite Beach Boys song is "Wouldn't It Be Nice."

Can't say I'm very familiar with anything beyond 1965... so I'm not really educated on the Bee Gees and Abba.

I think Shawn likes the Bee Gees though.

The Trousered Ape said...

Yes - I like all three actually. Not a huge Abba fan, but I do like them.

Beach Boys were very cool (still are). How could you not just love those harmonies? Same with the Bee Gees - good, tight harmonies.

That is one of the many things that I absolutely love about the Beatles, man those boys can sing, sing, sing!

Shawn

Elizabeth C. said...

What a fascinating list!! Thanks for sharing. Now I have so many questions for you. We've got to chat... : )

"Blue Moon" is a great song! I grew up on 50's music and am a big fan. My dad used to pull out all his old 45's, sit on the floor with me and play "DJ". (You know, dedicating songs and all that...) What a wonderful childhood memory that is! He still has all those old records and I've made him promise to will them to me. ; )

I did go to my senior prom, but would have much preferred a "sock hop"! Alas, I was cursed to grow up in the Disco era. I have to admit I liked a lot of the music (I like just about all music!), but the dancing....PLEASE!!!!

Sounds to me like you made the right choice on that 8th grade graduation thing and I'd love to see the book you illustrated.

You may be shy, but you're amazing!

Laura said...

I love Abba because I can sing all their songs, they're perfect for my vocal range. In fact, I once had a DJ tell me I should compete in Karaoke contests with their songs!

I guess that's another thing to add to my list of things you don't know about me. Maybe someday...

D.L. White said...

Elizabeth - that's something else we have in common - my dad had a love for all kinds of music and that's where I learned it from. He would play classical, oldies, etc. records for me from the time I was very little. I have his records now and cherish them. :)

Laura - Now I'm gonna have to have you sing an Abba song the next time I see you. I'm curious! :P

RAE said...

WE SHOULD SHARE 5 UNKNOWN THINGS ABOUT OURSELVES AT "BUNCO"! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR ILLUSTRATIONS TOO!! I'M WITH YOU IN THE MUSIC DEPT--OLDIES ARE THE BEST!!! MY GRAND'S ARE ALSO SHY BUT SWEET AND LOVABLE. THE MORE I VISIT WITH YOU THE MORE I SEE WHAT A SWEET SPIRIT YOU HAVE. GLAD YOU AND SHAWN ARE CANYONITES!!

The Trousered Ape said...

Rae - Canyonites sounds a wee bit too close to Canaanites...lol

Shawn

D.L. White said...

Thanks for the post Rae! Looking forward to Bunco!

astraughnomer said...

yay-fun! that's so cool that you illustrated a book. i used to love to write when i was a kid...now all i only write technical papers. i still enjoy it, but it seems to take out some of the creativity. anyway, thanks for sharing! :)