Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Blue Moon

Have you ever heard the expression "once in a blue moon"? Well, tonight is the real thing - a blue moon! A blue moon happens once every 33 months. The last one was on July 31, 2004.

The phrase "blue moon," does not refer to the color of the moon, but instead is the name given to the second full moon in the same month. Since the occurrence is rare, it makes sense that it is where we got our phrase "once in a blue moon" from (which is slang for "very rarely.")

In honor of tonight's blue moon, I just have to post a link for my favorite oldies song, "Blue Moon" by the Marcels. Check out the song here, but don't bother watching the video; it's incorrect, distracting and cheesy. And if you have time tonight, go out and take a gander at that beautiful blue moon!

3 comments:

Elizabeth C. said...

Great song and great info about the "Blue Moon"! I just went out and took a look. Absolutely beautiful!

Kathleen said...

I was eating in a 5 and Diner after reading your post and they were playing "Blue Moon", so I thought of you. :D

D.L. White said...

Yeah - 5 and Diner - I love that restaurant! :)