Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Book Bite

The Town That Forgot How to Breathe
by Kenneth J. Harvey

4 Stars

I just finished reading this book over the long weekend and thought I'd give you a quick review. A "book bite," if you will...

The book starts out with a man and his daughter arriving at a Newfoundland fishing wharf to spend their summer vacation. And like any good thriller, things don't stay "normal" for long. The little girl finds a creepy playmate, villagers start seeing strange things in the ocean, then... people start forgetting how to breathe...

Harvey creates a strange combination of fairy tales, tall tales or "seafarer" tales, a Lovecraft-esqe thriller/horror story, with people going insane (or forgetting how to breathe) and a commentary on how some small town cultures or lifestyles are dying because of technology. It sounds like a weird combination, but it works, and all the strands are tied together in the end, in a fairly satisfying way.

My favorite part of this book, is the idea that the act of storytelling is what keeps generations connected to each other and keeps the wonder in nature and life alive. I also loved the romantic twist to everything, once he tied all the plot strands together and resolved the mystery. In the end, it all comes down to love...

I've been meaning to write a post on the importance of fairy tales, the art of storytelling and the power of the story, and reading this book only inspired me even more to write those posts. So watch for those in the future...

I think I will do these short, "Book Bites" here on my blog and I hope to write longer, more in-depth reviews and post those on my website (whenever I get it revamped and up and running to my satisfaction). Until then...

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

This book sounds like a must read for me! :D Thanks for the book bite.

Elizabeth C. said...

Yea...something to read while I wait for the final Harry Potter book! Thanks for the recommendaton. This one sounds great!

D.L. White said...

Ah yes...Kathleen and I are counting down the days to the final Harry Potter book. I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time it's a little bittersweet, because it is (supposedly) the last one. :(

Kathleen said...

I am a little scared to read the last HP book, because I don't want the great adventure to end. There is nothing out there to replace it or take it's place in literature right now. I hope it is a great book.