Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Very Punny!


I feel very fortunate that I grew up in a home filled with laughter. We were always trying to find ways to make each other laugh. My dad had a great sense of humor (as evidenced by the self-deprecating picture you see here). He enjoyed it all - from funny stories, to goofy sight gags and well-constructed jokes - especially if it included a pun. In fact, he absolutely loved puns.

May 25th was my father's birthday. I feel like there's less laughter in my life, ever since he's been gone. To honor him today, I'm going to try and find the humor in things, and make my heart light. And I'm going to try to remember that's how he'd want me to go through life, laughing at the daily ironies and all, instead of seeing the melancholy side of things.

I thought I'd include a link, to some "punny" jokes for you as well. What is your favorite joke or pun? I invite you to post it in the comments and give us all a good laugh. Or, if you like, you can talk about what you think were some of the best qualities you got from your dad.

8 comments:

D.L. White said...

"I went to a general store, but they wouldn't let me buy anything specific." - Comedian, Stephen Wright

The Trousered Ape said...

Stephen Wright is one of my favorites. :)

You're dad was a hilarious guy. Very funny and always laughing - at least that is how I remember him. I know we all miss him.

Shawn

astraughnomer said...

i love cheesy jokes. here's a favorite:

where do the nazis keep their armies??

(in their sleevies)

i warned you...it was cheesy. :)

D.L. White said...

Amber - I totally didn't even see that one coming! Too funny! Thanks for sharing! :)

Elizabeth C. said...

What a lovely tribute to your Dad! Laughter truly is good medicine to the bones!

I'll keep thinking of a "punny joke" worthy of posting (of course, my mind is blank at the moment...).

Anonymous said...

Apparently, there is research out now that indicates that cheetahs don't stay with the same mates all of their lives. In fact, the females often have many mates in the same season. But I mean, what are the males expecting - fidelity? Come on, don't they know they're dating cheetahs? And as they used to say on Ricki Lake, once a cheetah, always a cheetah! Kick her to the curb!

PS: I miss your dad too.

Kathleen said...

I remember your dad had the best smile. When he was joking around, his smile was a little mischievious under that awsome mustache....did I mention he had the best mustache I have ever seen. :D Great memories.

D.L. White said...

Chad - thanks for the cheetah joke. Didn't see that one coming either. My dad would have appreciated that one too.

Kathleen - thanks for the comments - you're right - my dad knew how to rock a cool mustache. I can't imagine him without it.