Pages

Sunday, July 08, 2007

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things....

So...my last post on honesty and truth in the arts caused such a blazing fury of comments from my faithful readers that it made my head spin...(sarcasm) It must be the summer heat. It's getting to our brains. I sympathize. It's hard to think when the temperature outside is 110 degrees. (But it's a dry heat!) So, to give everyone a break from the heavy mental lifting, I thought I'd give you a nice little post, listing some of my favorite things this week. They are things that made me smile. I highly recommend them.

Peanut M&Ms are awesome in their yummy simplicity. However, they are even more tasty when consumed in a dark movie theater, as you watch a totally mindless, CGI-heavy, summer action movie. (See my movie listings to the right, to guess which film I'm referring to.)

My husband imitating the lead singer of Maroon 5, as we sang along with their new hit single in the car. This one didn't just make me smile, it made me laugh myself silly. I think you could file this one under the "you just had to be there" category. For your viewing pleasure, here's a link to the music video for "Makes Me Wonder", although I must say, my husband's rendition was more amusing.

Getting e-mail from my friends is always the highlight of my day. Some days my inbox is so lonely, and I pine for an e-mail, like a man in the desert, dying of thirst. (Okay, that was a bit dramatic.) Other days, it seems like everyone is online and the e-mails come flooding in. What would we do without e-mail?

Jack White's blistering guitar riff on the White Stripes' new single, "Icky Thump" is just too cool. When I put the CD in, I have to hit repeat on it a dozen or so times, because I just can't get enough of that guitar. Haven't heard the song yet? Then click here for the music video, which is a little weird - but most of their videos are. Just enjoy the music.

A whole hour of uninterrupted reading time is a beautiful thing. I'm lucky to have an hour long break for lunch at work, and my building has a nice atrium area in the lobby with comfy seating. It's a perfect reading environment. I am always so reluctant and sad, when I have to snap back to reality and go back to work.

Flight of the Conchords follows the trials and tribulations of a two man, digi-folk band from New Zealand as they try to make a name for themselves in their adopted home of New York City. This show always makes me laugh. Imagine if Weird Al and Saturday Night Live joined together to create a skit comedy show with parody songs that fit into the plot. Hard to explain. Hilarious to watch. Check it out.

Pandora Radio is addictive. It's a free Internet radio station, that plays music that is customized to your tastes. You can make different personalized radio stations for yourself and, using the Music Genome Project, the system suggests other bands/artists that you may not have heard of, that fit your musical tastes. I love my Sirius radio. I might love Pandora Radio more.

I feel so blessed and humbled to be a part of my church family. The people there don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. Steeped in prayer, thirsty for God's Word, always striving for unity, yet celebrating our diversity, with love always threaded through everything they do - I have never seen a love like this in action before. It makes me think of the worship song that goes, "They will know we our Christians by our love..." Simple, but powerful.

Leave me a comment and let me know what some of your favorite things are this week!

3 comments:

Elizabeth C. said...

Thanks for sharing some of your favorite things! I really enjoyed this post. You've introduced me to some new things that I'll have to check out (which I always enjoy!).

I've got to agree with you on the Peanut M&M's, email from friends, uniterrupted reading time and Canyon C of C!

Let's see...my guess on the movie your talking about is, ummmm, "Transformers"? ; ) I haven't seen that one yet.

Coincidentally, I shared about one of my favorite things on my blog today!

Mike Olbinski said...

You got two of mine in there :)

Pandora and Flight of the Conchords.

How great is that show anyways? It kills me everytime.

D.L. White said...

Elizabeth - yep, you guessed right. "Transformers"

Mike - You're right, "Conchords" kills us everytime!