Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Exit Music (For A Film)

As you can see from my list on the right of this page, I've been listening to all my movie soundtracks lately. I thought it might be fun to see what soundtracks everyone else has in their music collection.

For symphonic or scored soundtracks I like composers: John Williams (of course - the themes from Star Wars, Jaws, Superman and Indiana Jones are classics), Danny Elfman (Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow), Philip Glass (The Illusionist, Dracula) and many more.

There's so many to chose from, but for soundtracks of pop/rock music compiled from various artists for a film, I love the Good Will Hunting soundtrack, The Crow and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.

Also, have you ever noticed that sometimes the soundtrack is far superior than the movie? One example would be the Underworld soundtrack (featuring David Bowie, Trust Company, A Perfect Circle). Awesome soundtrack, disappointing flick.

So what about you? Have you ever been sitting in a theater, watching a movie for the first time, noticed the soundtrack and thought to yourself, "I must go buy this soundtrack as soon as the movie is over!" (Happened to me with Sleepy Hollow, the Illusionist and the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean movie.) What's your favorite movie soundtrack? Do you have a favorite composer? What instance do you know of where the soundtrack was better than the movie? Leave me a comment and let me know.

By the way, for those of you who assumed from the title of this post that it was going to be about Radiohead...sorry. To get your Radiohead fix, I invite you to go here and listen to the song "Exit Music (For A Film)". The song was on the Romeo + Juliet (1996) soundtrack and was the only good thing about that film (it played over the end credits). In fact, the song captures the emotion of the whole Romeo and Juliet story in a pretty powerful way. I'm mezmorized every time I hear the song. What's interesting is that the user who made this video for YouTube used footage from the famous 1968 version of Romeo & Juliet. They must have not liked Baz Luhrman's movie either.

3 comments:

Jesica said...

Great post!

I miss you, by the way! :)

My favorite composer is Vivaldi. I could get lost in his music.

Interestingly, the chidren and I have been studying Grieg and Rossini. We're going to the Symphony on Wednesday. They have LOVED studying the composers so far. Tomorrow we'll be studying Beethoven, Sibelius, Dukas, and Khachaturian...ooh, also Tchaikovsky.

It will be a busy music day. :)

My favorite CD of all time, from a movie or play, is The Phantom of the Opera. I must have listened to it 100 times before I ever even saw the movie!

I have yet to see it on stage..but I just love the music...the imagery in the words and music is just amazing.

Oops...it's tomorrow already!

Time for sleep!

See you next week!

Hugs!

Kathleen said...

I try not to get into soundtracks when I am viewing a film because it distracts me from the entire flim experience when I start analyzing the music. I own very few, but here are the ones I have, Waterworld, and Stargate. I like just about everything ever done by John Willaims, but I don't own those cd's.

Phantom of the Opera is good, but that is a musical.

D.L. White said...

Jes - I love Phantom of the Opera. I listened to the original cast recording a bunch of times too before ever seeing it. I saw the stage production when it came to Phoenix, but it wasn't the original cast. I also saw the Joel Schumacher film version when it came out a couple years ago. I liked it, except for the casting of the Phantom.

Btw - the film "Taking Sides" is next in our Netflix queue. I'm looking forward to watching it. Thanks for the recommend.

Kat - You're right, I don't "try" to listen to the music because as you said - it's distracting. But there are some soundtracks that are so powerful, and so perfectly complimentary to the moving images, they make you sit up and take notice. You can't not notice them.

Here's one I forgot to mention in my post, that I know is a favorite of yours too - the Bladerunner soundtrack by Vangelis.