Pages

Saturday, September 01, 2007

When Stardust Gets In Your Eye

Once upon a time, I went to see a magical movie called "Stardust", based on a book by one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman. I love, love, LOVE this movie and just had to write a quick post to recommend it to all my Faithful Readers. What a beautiful fairy tale full of fun and adventure! It has a fallen star, magic spells, sky pirates who capture lightening, conniving princes, evil vain witches, a unicorn, a common but courageous peasant boy, a captured princess, True Love, sword fights, humor and romance. It is a perfect fairy tale. My heart was singing as we left the theater - and then went outside to discover it was raining! (Those of you who know me, understand how happy that made me.) It was a perfect, magical evening.

6 comments:

Mike Olbinski said...

I'm glad you liked it...I still want to see this. I hear it's kind of like Princess Bride in a way?

astraughnomer said...

oooh yeah, i want to see this one too. :) it looks very magical, and from the preview the costumes look like they'll be gorgeous.

glad you enjoyed it!

The Trousered Ape said...

Awesome movie!!! What a great, great adult-fairy tale - probably one of my all-time favorites. It does have elements of Princess Bride, but it is also different and has it's own unique story/style that makes it extremely charming. Man - I can't wait to get back to the theater to watch this again. This was one of those movies that I was willing to get right back in line and buy another ticket for as soon as it was over.

Elizabeth C. said...

I've wanted to see this since first seeing the previews, but now I CAN'T WAIT to see it after hearing your glowing review! We'll be contacting you soon to set a date for a dinner/movie night. : )

Kathleen said...

I just knew you would love the story. I felt the same way the day I read the book. It was raining that day too. I can't wait to see what they did with the film.

Laura said...

I'm so glad to hear a favorable review of this movie... it looked interesting but I wanted to hear more before I went to see it.

As many others have mentioned, one of my favorite movies is the Princess Bride and I've recently showed it to our kids. They loved it and watched it for about a week.

Another wonderful adult fairy tale is The Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Terry Gilliam. Very "Gilliam" to say the least and not quite as appropriate for kids under about 8, so we'll put that one off for awhile!