Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's All About the Writers

This is a random post about writers and writing, since November seems to be the "all about the writers" month. Why do I say that? Well, for starters, there’s the writers' guild strike in Hollywood. I can't say that I blame them for striking; it sounds like their concerns and requests are legitimate and reasonable. That doesn't change the fact that in my selfish little way, I'm very concerned about some of my favorite TV shows being delayed even longer than they already have been. (I've already been in serious LOST withdrawals for a while now.) If you’re interested, here are some good articles and a video about the strike.

Additionally, this month is NaNoWriMo, otherwise known as National Novel Writing Month (but NaNoWriMo is more fun to say, isn’t it?). It’s an annual novel writing project where both professional and amateur writers from all over the world are challenged to write a 175-page (50,000 word) novel, starting November 1st and ending on midnight, November 30th. I have not accepted this challenge, but their gung-ho enthusiasm has been inspiring.

Last but not least, this month is also the one year anniversary of this humble little blog. As I looked back over my year’s worth of posts, I have decided my writing goals for the new year will be as follows:

1. Write more articles and less lists, even though I love making lists (case in point). In fact, did you know there is a blog dedicated solely to lists? The blogger even has a book out now, based on the lists.

2. Stick more to my purpose for this blog and write about the things I love (music, art, film, literature, etc.) instead of my everyday life. I don’t want this to turn into an autobiographical navel-gazing type thing. I get bored when I read about myself and the last thing I want to do is bore people.

3. Post more regularly and consistently. I was thinking about committing to deadlines, such as posting on every Tuesday and Thursday. That way, Loyal Readers, you will know what days to come check out the blog.

All this talk of writing has inspired me and I’m off to go work on a short story. In the meantime, leave me a comment and let me know what show you will miss the most during the strike OR let me know if you’ve taken up the NaNoWriMo challenge OR let me know any suggestions you may have for this blog. There’s your assignment – so get writing!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Congrats on having a blog for a year. :D I like your blog a lot. I do enjoy the lists because they are easy to read and well written. When you do use lists they do not bother me and I don't think they take anything away from your articles when you use them. I enjoy hearing personal posts too, and you are never boring. Also, I think your idea of having a dead line is a great idea. If my schedule was more normal week to week I was thinking of making a rule for my own blog, but my schedule is just too crazy for that sort of organiztion. Anway, I adore your blog so keep writing and when you get done with your short story you gotta send it my way. I am dying to find out what happens next.

D.L. White said...

Thanks. :) I really like lists too. My concern about setting a deadline is of immediately breaking it and not being able to follow it. We'll see how disciplined I can be...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kathleen - your personal life might be boring to you - but think of the little people! They aren't bored. Don't deprive them! I like your lists too. They've caused good discussion. In short - don't change too much. But I will say, more posts are welcome!!! - Chad

D.L. White said...

More posts it is! :) And if I feel compelled to make another list...I will! :D