Pages

Monday, November 26, 2007

Little Masterpieces


Ever since I was little, I wanted to write and illustrate children's books. My goal to be a writer and illustrator is still alive...albeit barely. If only there were more hours in the day, and more discipline in my nature...

I may be "all grown up" but to this day, I still love fairy tales and collect children's books and fairy tale books, especially if they are old or exhibit amazing artwork. Some of my favorite illustrators are Michael Hague (my favorite collection is pictured to the the right), Maurice Sendak, Arthur Rackham and Maxfield Parish.

The reason I bring this all up is because I wanted to share this cool article I stumbled across today, that discusses the history of children's book illustrations. Check it out!

And if you have time, leave me a comment and let me know what your favorite storybook was when you were growing up as a child. My favorites were "The Little Mermaid" (NOT the Disney version) and "Snow White and Rose Red" (bet you didn't know Snow White had a sister). I've linked to the versions of these books/stories that I own. The illustrations for the Little Mermaid book are absolutely gorgeous!

2 comments:

Elizabeth C. said...

I'm so glad you are keeping the dream alive and look forward to the day when I can read your book and enjoy your illustrations. Just think...I can tell people, "I knew her when..." : ) I'll be sending my copy to you for an autograph!

I had two big books of fairy tales when I was a child (Hans Christian Andersen versions and the Brothers Grimm versions) and remember spending hours huddled up reading them. The two you mentioned were two of my favorites as well. I also remember liking "Rumpelstiltskin" and "Rapunzel".

We still need to make a date to see "Enchanted". We saw it with our girls and really liked it. I'd love to see it again with you!

Kathleen said...

I think that one day your dream will come true. I know I would love to read any children's book written and illistrated by you.

My favorite illistrated books as a child were many. I am not even sure I can remember them all. The Hobbit, Hans Christian Anderson, Mother Goose, Brothers Grimm, East of the Sun and West of the Moon by Mercer Meyer, Anything by Maurice Sendak: Outside Overthere, Where the Wild Things Are. I really could go on and on. I love Children's illistrated books because I didn't learn how to read until I was 10, so they were my only experience.