Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

A Booklover's Questionaire

Here's a little survey that I thought would be fun to post here. I tag ALL my blogging friends, to either post their own answers in the comments section or on their own blogs. Enjoy!

1. Name one book that changed your life:

Other than the Bible? Probably Cries of the Heart by Ravi Zacharias. I definitely had a life-altering, light-bulb moment when reading that book.

2. Name one book that you’ve read more than once:

Other than the Bible? I've read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens too many times to count. It's one of my all time favorite books. I've also read Dracula by Bram Stoker countless times. I also have The Dark Angel by Meredith Ann Pierce virtually memorized.

3. Name one book you’d want on a desert island:

Other than the Bible? (I see a trend developing here.) Maybe a big collection of short stories, or my complete collection of Edgar Allen Poe, or my complete works of Shakespeare.

4. Name one book that made you laugh:

I've never laughed so hard while reading a book than when I was reading If Chins Could Kill, Confessions of a B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. Not only was it hilarious, but it was a great, touching story about friendship and the ups and downs that come with being dedicated to your art.

5. Name one book that made you cry:

Hmm. This is a tough one. As a kid, I know I cried when reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis and when I read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. Several Stephen King books have made me cry: Lisey's Story, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile, The Stand, and The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass - all of them beautiful stories.

6. Name one book that you wish you had written:

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

7. Name one book that you wish had never been written:

I know it's considered a classic, but reading The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was pure torture. Another classic that I also passionately disliked was Lord of the Flies by William Golding. However, wishing they'd never been written is a pretty strong statement. If there is one book that fits that description, it would probably be either Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler or the Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor Lavey.

8. Name one book you’re currently reading:

I'm currently reading Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (a fairy tale) and 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill.

9. Name one book you’ve been meaning to read:

Oh, there are so many books and so little time! I've been meaning to read all the books that have been loaned to me by friends. (Chad and Raven - let me know if you have any suggestions of what I should read next.) I want to read more works by C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton and Ravi Zacharias. And I can't believe I still haven't finished the rest of the Dark Tower series.

Okay - now it's your turn to answer the questions! ;-)

14 comments:

astraughnomer said...

ok, it's late and i'll have to do the whole survey later...but i have to say: gasp! you haven't finished the Dark Tower series?! oh boy, you really have to. it's just so wonderful. :)

and, i believe, the best opening line of all time...

D.L. White said...

I agree totally! It is hands-down, the best opening line I've EVER read.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Raven said...

http://blog.madteapartyafternoon.com/?p=46

I posted my response at my blog: Raven's Writing Desk

D.L. White said...

Thanks for the heads-up Raven! I'll be sure to go over to your blog and check it out.

Also, I think I might have transcribed question #6 incorrectly. (I got this survey from another site.) I think the original question was "What book do you wish had been written?" which is also an interesting question.

I wish my dad and written down his life story. He told so many interesting stories about his life, and now he's not here to tell them. It'd be nice to at least be able to read them...

raven said...

D.L. I totally agree with you on the fact that “Grapes of Wrath” was a terrible book. I used to say that we should burn all Steinbeck’s books because they are such rubbish. I detest everything I ever had to read that he wrote.

However, I really enjoyed, “Lord of the Flies” it scared the pants off me, but reminded me of “Heart of Darkness” which I also really enjoyed. I don’t know why I like all that savagery in books, but I guess I do somewhat.

Another thing I noticed, were all those books that made you cry, because none of those made me cry at all. Isn’t that strange, because we usually have very similar taste in books? However, this might be why there is a difference; I hardly ever cry while reading a book.

***WARNING-HARRY POTTER SPOILERS***
For example, the last time I “cried” while reading was when Dumbeldor fell off the tower in “Harry Potter”, but I only got teary eyed. I never shed a tear when Serious Black went into the vail in “Harry Potter” even though I thought that was tragic and so sad.

I do cry when watching movies a lot though.

D.L. White said...

Thanks for playing along with the questionaire Raven! That’s an awesome story about The Dragonriders’ book. (That’s Chad’s all-time favorite series too.) And I had totally forgotten about “Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” - that book had me laughing as well.

I can’t believe you liked “Lord of the Flies” - I could hardly stand to finish it. You can ask Chad, he was in the same class as me and had to listen to me whine non-stop about my hatred for it.

About the whole crying thing… yes, I cried at all of those books. I think alot of it depended on my age, and what I was going thru in my own life at the time - combined with the skill of the author of course. Some of them just made me get all watery-eyed, while others made me sob so hard I had to put the book down.

***WARNING-HARRY POTTER SPOILERS***
I didn’t cry at any of the Harry Potter moments you mentioned. I was more ANGRY when Sirious went thru the veil than I was sad. I was thinking JK Rowling had pretty much made a big writer’s mistake with that one. I still feel that way. However, I did cry at the end of the 7th book...when Snape’s story is finally told. It was so sad and twisted and sweet.

I never realized this before, but now that I’m looking over my last few blog posts, I guess I’m a sucker for stories about unrequited love.

raven said...

D.L. You said, " was more ANGRY when Serious Black went thru the veil than I was sad. I was thinking JK Rowling had pretty much made a big writer’s mistake with that one. I still feel that way."

***Spoilers for Harry Potter***

Yeah, I still feel that JK mess up with the Serius story line as well. I think she should have brought him back from the vail in the 7th book. She totally could have done it if she had wanted to. I still don't get why she didn't do that because it would have made the story more complete in my opinion. Snapes story at the end was really sad. I agree with you that it was just so sad. I got a bit teary eyed with that one.

I read "Heart of Darkness" twice. What did Chad think of that book? Just curious. Also, I had no idea Chad loved the Dragon Rider books too. Did you ever read them?

I would have loved to read a book about your dad's life filled with all those cool stories. I wish more people wrote, so that we wouldn't loose their stories after they are gone you know?

D.L. White said...

I read "Heart of Darkness" - I liked it as a work of literature, but don't remember really enjoying it.

I've never read any of the Dragonriders of Pern books, but I did read the Harper Hall trilogy - about the dragonsingers - and really enjoyed it. I should add the Pern books to my reading list. :P

raven said...

I hope Chad will fill out this Questionair. I want to see what his answers would be.

D.L. White said...

Chadly...oh Chadly...where are you? You've been called out to reply!

Anonymous said...

1. The blank slate by steven pinker. 2. As I Lay Dying (I understood it the second time). 3. I think I steal from Davina-the complete works of shakespeare 4. Honestly-Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (pretentious much?) 5. The Corrections by Jonathon Franzen 6. Dracula 7. I don't believe in censorship, but The Rainmaker by John Grisham is a big waste of ink. 8. Just finished Secret Prey by John Sanford. A passable thriller. 9. Ulysees - I'm not smart enough to read this book yet. Hope that lived up to the billing!

Shona said...

1. Book that changed my life: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Everything is nothing and nothing is everything. Not that I'm into that, but it helped free my mind to start making my own decisions.

2. Read more than once: Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. Charles Dickens is a colorful and entertaining author.

3. Desert Island book: David Copperfield by Dickens. It is the most enchanting, lovely, and endearing story that I have ever read. It is the only book that I intentionally read slow because I didn't want it to end. And I found out that it was Dickens' own favorite book. But, Les Miserables would probably be a better choice because it would last longer.

4. Laugh: Blue Like Jazz. I felt like the author was a personal friend.

5. Cry: Most recently, The Shack. Interesting book on God, emotional pain, and his love for us. And, of course, all books on the Rwandan genocide--especially, Left to Tell.

6. Wish I had written: Tale of Two Cities. Isn't that the best opening line ever? Harlot's Ghost and Oswald by Norman Mailer.

7. Wish had never been written: Of Mice and Men. What a wierd book. How did that become a classic?

8. Reading now: I'm actually looking for a good book to read, but am reading David by Charles Swindoll.

9. Meaning to read: I want to read everything written by Dickens, especially Our Mutual Friend, Hard Times, and Christmas Carol.

D.L. White said...

Chad - thanks for playing along with the questionaire. I thought it was ironic that the book you listed as changing your life "A Blank Slate" is the one that I unintentionally did but didn't get you that one year for Christmas. I still laugh about that faux pas. Although now I am curious as to what it was about that book that changed your life, or was it your view of life?

Also - no Dragonriders of Pern? Quel suprise!

Yea!! Shona - thanks for posting! :) I definitely want to read more Dickens too.

Have you seen the "Great Expectations" movie that was made a few years ago? I've wondered if it was any good, but was annoyed at the casting and the few plot changes I knew they'd made to "update" it for modern times.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." Hmmm...you're right, that also is one of the most classic opening lines ever. That's an interesting idea for a future post... best opening lines.

If anything, this questionaire and everyone's responses to it, has made me realized that I need to sprinkle in some classics back into my reading schedule. Mix it up a bit. I also need to keep dabbling into genres other than horror. I actually think I've been better about that recently.

D.L. White said...

Oh yeah - and I forgot to say - Shona - we own the book "Blue Like Jazz" but neither Shawn or I have read it yet. Maybe I'll have to move it up higher on the reading list...