Pages

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Let's get LOST! (Episode 6 - The Other Woman)


If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!


Is your mind still reeling from last week's Desmond-centric episode? Do you feel like Sayid? (i.e. "Someone needs to explain to me precisely what is going on!") The Desmond episodes are so good, it's hard to follow them up.

Tonight's episode was good, but not nearly as earth-shattering as the last couple of weeks. However, we did get some more answers. We got confirmation that Charles Widmore is the man behind the freighter, and that he is intent on finding the island. I'm not sure that I buy the reason Ben gave though, for why he wants to find it (to exploit it). Another hatch was revealed (the Tempest) and we got to find out more about why Juliette and Ben's relationship is so tense. The jury is still out on the freighter four - are they good guys or bad guys? One thing is for sure - Locke has definitely lost his marbles. Here are my favorite moments of the night...


I thought this was the most shocking line/revelation of the night:


There really wasn't a jaw-dropping, shocking revelatory moment tonight. Although I was quite shocked that Ben was cruel enough to take Juliette to see Goodwin's rotting corpse. That was a bit shocking...which leads into my next highlight...


I thought this was the most heartbreaking line/moment of the night:


Ben: "Because you're MINE!"

Ben is such a spoiled brat, control freak, cruel megalomaniac. I hate him and his controlling ways, but at the same time, I feel so sorry for him. Michael Emerson is such a good actor, and combine that with the good writing and storyline, and my heart was touched - especially in the scene when he was cooking dinner for Juliette. I could see that, at the heart of things, Ben is still that verbally abused and beaten down child who just wants desperately to be loved. Of course, he's going about it the wrong way...you can't force people to love you.

As an aside, his own adopted daughter doesn't love him now either. He really is a tragic figure in some ways.

Another thought...the psychiatrist said to Juliette, "Of course Ben likes you. You look just like her." Like who? Does she remind Ben of Annie, his childhood sweetheart? Is that why he recruited her instead of some other fertility doctor? Was this Ben's version of an eHarmony match?


And finally, here's my favorite line/moment of the night:


Ben (to Hurley and Sawyer as they look on in shock and disbelief): "I'll see you guys at dinner."

I'm VERY nervous that Ben is on the loose again. He's sneaky, manipulative and cunning. He can't be trusted. What was Locke thinking?!?!


Even though this was technically a Juliette-centric episode, it was almost, in a way, an episode about Ben. I didn't realize that until I picked my favorite moments. What did you think of the show? I invite you to share your thoughts in the comments section.

15 comments:

Matt said...

I have a theory about which of Ben's team is on the boat. My theory is that it is Michael. He left in a boat and Walt seemed much older when John Locke saw him, which fits with the whole time dilation issue surrounding the island.

D.L. White said...

That was our first thought - that Ben's man on the boat is Michael. Especially when he told Locke "You'd better sit down for this." right before he revealed it to him. Looks like we'll find out next week if we're right. ;)

Laura said...

I was so mad that Charles Widmore is the behind the freighter four and I think that Michael is the captain of the boat. Neither of those "plot twists" are very shocking, maybe there's more to Widmore than we think.

I don't think Locke should have let Ben out of the brig. That will be a mistake he hopefully will live to regret.

D.L. White said...

Ah...not only is Michael Ben's inside man, but he's also the captain of the boat. Interesing...

There's so many evil groups on this show (Dharma, the Others, Widmore) that I don't know who is worse! It'll be interesting to see how they are all connected - or not connected.

Laura said...

I don't currently have access to the end of season 2 when Michael left in the Other's small boat with Walt or when they were building the raft...

Does anyone remember Michael saying he could pilot a boat or could sail or anything like that? Is that why he went on the raft in the first place or was it just to get Walt off the island?

Laura said...

WAAALLLT!

D.L. White said...

When Michael said he wanted to build the raft, he never mentioned any sailing ability. There was never any talk of him "needing" Jin to help him sail it either. And in all the scenes of Michael demanding the boat from the Others and Ben giving it to him, nothing is ever mentioned about his ability to drive it. All we are told about Michael's past work experience is that he was a construction worker and a starving artist.

Laura said...

I guess he could just be Ben's "man" on the boat. However, I think it's rather strange that we haven't seen this person or the captain of the freighter yet and that's why I think maybe they are the same person.

Also, I think it's pretty well known that Harold Perrineau is due back on the show this season so I'm just waiting for Michael's big appearance. It would be a nice surprise if he's not the freighter captain and the writers pulled some other great plot twist. I like to be shocked with a great revelation each episode!

D.L. White said...

To add more fuel to the fire...

Did you see, in the preview for next week's episode, someone is holding a note and it says "DON'T TRUST THE CAPTAIN."

Hmmm...

raven said...

My theory has always benn: Locke always makes the wrong decision. It is his personal flaw. So of corse that means it is a mistake to let Ben loose. Whatever Lock decides to do is the wrong decision. Poor guy.

I love the title for next weeks episode. It sounds just about perfect to me.

On my blog there is a great post about rice pudding, which would make an excellent snack to eat while watching Lost on Thursday. ahhhh, Lost and pudding... sounds just perfect.

D.L. White said...

Mmmm....pudding. :-P

D.L. White said...

An interesting tidbit I found on Lostpedia... some of these I recognized...others I hadn't thought of.

The title of this episode "The Other Woman" references the fact that Juliet is:
1. "The other woman", aside from Harper Stanhope, whom Goodwin is seeing;
2. "The other woman", aside from Kate, whom Jack has feelings for;
3. "The other woman" to Ben, aside from the woman whom Juliet "looks just like"; and
4. A woman who was (or is) one of the "Others" - thus the "other" woman.

After reading this, now I think Juliet's line to Jack towards the end of the show "It's tough being an Other." has multiple layers of meaning.

Also - that is the first time that one of the Others refers to themselves as an "other".

Laura said...

Oh man... I found out some stuff I didn't want to know while reading Wikipedia. I didn't even get a spoiler warning!

raven said...

Oh my gosh, you just blew my mind about Juliette being an "Other" in more ways then one. I was starting to think she was unique, not an Other and not a Survivor, but now, I am seeing this in an entirely new light.

Laura said...

Where's the post for last night? I'm ready to talk about that one!