Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let's get LOST! (Episode 10 - Something Nice Back Home)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

Tonight's episode wasn't as shocking as some or was edge-of-your-seat viewing, but it was still really solid. Again, I am at a loss as to what to talk about first. Faraday has a crush on Charlotte. Claire has gone missing. Jack is having a beachside appendectomy. The ghosts of dead people are haunting the Oceanic 6. The militia men from the freighter survived the smokey attack. The pilot is a good guy (so far). Juliet tells Kate that Jack is in love with her. Kate ran a mysterious errand for Sawyer in the flashforward. So much to talk about! Let's get started.

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

Jin (speaking to Charlotte in Korean): I know you can understand us.

Tied with...

Jack (speaking to Kate): Will you marry me?

So, Jin totally called Charlotte out about knowing Korean, which was a mild shocker. What I want to know is why does an anthropologist know Korean? We haven't seen her in any flashbacks doing work in Korea (only Tunisia). Seems awfully coincidental, don't you think? Jack proposing to Kate was also a mild shocker. However, do any of you really think that the two of them could ever be happy together and make it work? Both Jack and Kate have way too much baggage when it comes to relationships.

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Hurley: "Because none of this is real Jack. I think we're in heaven... I see Charlie every day. He sits on that bench with me outside. It's kinda nice...."

Tied with

Jack: "Where were you tonight, Kate?"

Poor Hurley. My heart just broke for him. He's so messed up, and it's all the island's fault. Somehow it is continuing to haunt them or mess with their minds. It's all so confusing and upsetting and weird and doesn't yet make sense. So in a lot of ways, I feel like I (as a viewer) can really relate to Hurley's position. He's always been somewhat representative of the audience's stance in the show. Also, it was so sad to see Jack's past come back to haunt him. His bad relationship with his first wife, and her cheating on him, combined with all the distrust he experienced on the island, is ruining his future relationship with Kate in the flashforward. As if that wasn't bad enough, he's turning into his father with the substance abuse.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Miles: What are you, her big brother?

Sawyer: No, I'm the guy who's going to put a boot to your face. I'm giving you a restraining order, you know what that is?

It's been interesting to see how protective Sawyer has been of Claire and Aaron for the last few episodes. His back and forth with Miles is always amusing, since they are so much alike.

Two more big thoughts, and then I'm shutting my brain down for the night. Last week I had mentioned how I felt like the show had gotten very dark and hopeless. I had thought about equating it to The Empire Strikes Back section of the LOST saga, but I didn't know if that would make sense. Then tonight, there were more dark, tragic turns and then...we see a toy Millennium Falcon. Interesting. Last week, I was also begging for a ray of light, a little bit of hope, and we were given some, with Jack and Kate's happy little family, but it didn't last for long. Thanks, LOST writers, I need to go take some Prozac now.

The other thing I wanted to mention was all the Alice in Wonderland references, since I'm an Alice nut (thus, the name of this website, the headlining quote, my profile image, etc.). In Season 1, the episode where Jack is seeing visions of his dead dad on the beach and finds his empty coffin was called "White Rabbit." In the beginning of this episode, Jack is reading Alice in Wonderland to Aaron. (Check out the comments section for the actual quote from the book.) Visions of his dead dad are also in this episode. Even Kate, holding up the mirror, could be a bit of a reference to Alice Through the Looking Glass.

While reviewing all these Alice references during the commercial break, I had a brief and scary thought - what if all of the flashforward scenes were just Jack's dream while he was under anesthesia? I say this because in both of the Alice books, her entire adventures in wonderland were both dreams, and the story ends with her waking up. Even Bernard asking Jack if he would like to be put under and dreaming of "something nice back home" made me think the flashforward was a dream. The LOST writers have sworn in several interviews that 1. the survivors are not in purgatory and that 2. it is not all just a dream. They said they wouldn't cop out like that and shortchange the fans with a cheesy resolution like that. So that discounts Hurley's "we're in heaven" theory and discounts all the Alice implications. However, they sure did play around with those themes tonight, and for a brief moment I was really nervous. Then I decided they were just messing with us.

What did you think? I invite you to share your thoughts and theories in the comments section.

5 comments:

D.L. White said...

Here is the quote from Alice in Wonderland that Jack was reading to Aaron. Right before this quote, Alice is trying to figure out why everything is going so strangely for her this day. She wonders if today she is a different person. She asks,:

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think: was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!"

Aren't the LOST writers both brilliant and well-read. And don't they just LOVE to mess with their audience! They're messing with our heads the same way the island is messing with the minds of the Oceanic 6!!!

raven said...

I think they must be messing with us. I picked up the Alice theme from Jack's dad being in the episode. Whenever he is there they have "White Rabbit" themes. I guess Clair has followed the White Rabbit, I am just shocked that she didn't take Aaron with her. With the addition of reading from "Alice in Wonderland", they are really playing up the theme tonight. They have to be messing with our minds on this one.

I was so happy to see Jack wake up happy and be with Kate and Aaron, but things didn't stay that way long. It was sad, and I agree, the episodes are really getting dark.

Your Star Wars observation and then seeing the Melenium Falcon in several shots was just too coinsidental for me. D, you have freaked me out now!

Laura said...

I thought the exact same thing about the Empire Strikes Back connection when I read it in your blog last time. Back to the Future is the same way. The second movie in a trilogy is very rarely anyone's favorite. It's usually used to further the plot to the big finale as far as I'm concerned!

So, I don't know what any of this means, but there are apparently a lot of Star Wars references in LOST... check this Lostpedia link out!

D.L. White said...

I knew the LOST writers were big Star Wars fans, and I've caught some of the references, but...WOW...I had no idea there were so many!

D.L. White said...

According to Amazon.com, LOST Season 4 will be released on Blu-ray on December 9th. Ah...just in time for Christmas! I'm updating my letter to Santa right now! hee hee