Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

Record Store Day Is Tomorrow!


When was the last time you visited a record store? (And I don't mean Best Buy or FYE or Sam Goody). If it's been a while, then why not stop by a record store this weekend? On Saturday, April 19th, independent record stores across the nation will be celebrating Record Store Day with in-store performances, goodie bags and special programming.

With big chain stores, like Best Buy, taking up a large part of the market, combined with the rising popularity of music downloads, independently owned music stores are having to close their doors. You may think, why does it matter where I buy my music from? The money is going back to the artist one way or the other. Which is true; it doesn't matter, but music stores offer a unique experience. There's the human connection, for one, as well as the ability to discover local or less-mainstream music. Besides, there's just something about strolling through the racks and discovering a hidden gem. I think this quote says it best:

"The idea of - 'The journey is the destination.' - is put into action by browsing in an indie record store. Besides, a human being is a much better guide than a 'More Like This' link on the internet." - Patton Oswalt

When I lived in Flagstaff, the store I most frequented was Gopher Sounds. Here in the Valley of the Sun, we go to Tracks in Wax and Zia Record Exchange. However, I will admit (guiltily) that, more often than not, I find myself going online and clicking "Purchase" at Amazon for the latest release. It's easier to shop online, but truly, I love spending an hour or two browsing around in a record store. Anytime my husband and I travel, we always end up in a record store too. Even when we were in London and Copenhagen, we made sure to stop into a couple of record shops.

So get out this weekend and get to a music store! Here is an excellent article which discusses the situation in greater detail. You can also visit the Record Store Day website to see other quotes from musicians and entertainers about this topic. For fun, why not leave me a comment and let me know what was the last CD you purchased and how did you buy it? (Best Buy, I-Tunes, Amazon.com, etc.)

5 comments:

D.L. White said...

The last album I purchased was "Badmotorfinger" by Soundgarden on CD from Amazon. :( Yeah, I'm not very good about going to record stores either. :(

After the blog discussion I started last week with my "Dudes Who Rock" post, I had a craving to listen to all our Chris Cornell stuff, when I discovered we only had "Badmotorfinger" on cassette. (Yeah, that's how old we are.)

The Trousered Ape said...

There is still no better sound than a vinyl record.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post, although I can't say the prospects are good for record stores. But the human connection will be missing, which is a sad thing, as people buy more and more online. I think the same thing about people always wearing ipods at the gym or in the airport. "don't talk to me, I'm listening to my music." kind of sad. Course, at the airport, I'm always cracking open a book to shut out the world. - Chad

raven said...

Good post. I used to go to a place called Zipps here in town, but they closed all their stores except one. It is family owned. It's too far away from me to drive to now.

Lately, you are my source for great CD's D.L. I absolutely am loving "Maroon 5" right now. Since I hardly listen to the radio or video channels on TV, I loose touch with the current music world, but thanks to D.L. she keep me connected and has the BEST recommendations and reviews for music. I highly respect her taste in music.

D.L. White said...

Aww...(blushing) Thanks for the compliment! :) I'm glad you're liking the Maroon 5 stuff. You'll have to let me know what your favorite songs are.