Pages

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Let's get LOST! (Episode 11 - Cabin Fever)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

Tonight's episode was chock full of mysterious goodness. Starting out with... "John Locke, this is your life!" We got a Locke flashback (instead of flashforward for a change.) Looks like he's been avoiding his "destiny" his whole life. Is he the rightful "ruler" of the island or is Ben? Again, there is so much to talk about! The freighter militia men are ready to get their Rambo on. Sayid is piloting a rescue boat built for six (as in Oceanic Six). Locke sees dead people. (If Horus is dead, and Christian Shephard is dead...does that mean Claire is dead too? Or is she just hanging out in the netherworld for a while, visiting with her dear ol' dad?) I'd better cut to the chase and get to my favorite moments, since I've got a plane to catch... (thankfully I'm not flying on Oceanic!)

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

Richard Alpert stands silently outside the hospital room door, looking in on preemie Locke.
tied with
Locke: "We need to move the island."

It had been so long since we'd seen Richard, that he was the last person I was expecting to pop up in that flashback scene. Why, oh why, does Richard look exactly the same in the 50s, the 70s and today? I really really want to know! Is he time jumping or is he an immortal or what? But, even more shocking was the last line of the show- that in order to save the island, they must move it. So, my question is this - does the island even exist in our reality? Is it on a different time plane? A parallel dimension? What? How are they going to move it? I need answers!

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Ben and Hurley silently share an Apollo candy bar.

Okay, so there really wasn't a "heartbreaking" moment in this episode. I thought the scene with Hurley reluctantly deciding to share his candy bar with Ben was kind of funny and sweet. Hurley is such a sweet soul, willing to just go with it, and forgive even the most awful of people. I think he also recognized the utter defeat Ben was experiencing. He's a broken man.

And finally, here's the funny line of the night:

Ben to Locke: "Fate is a fickle b***h."

Again, a really funny line didn't stand out for me in this episode, but I thought this line from Ben was a real zinger. It was nice to see the discussion of fate and destiny come back up again. It used to be such a prevalent theme of the show, especially in the first season. It seems the island keeps some type of balance. Is it fate or karma? Do any of the losties have any control over their destinies?

I can't believe the season is almost over. There's so much left to find out! I can hardly stand the wait until next week! What did you think? I invite you to share your thoughts and theories in the comments section. There's so much more to talk about than the things I listed here!

8 comments:

Laura said...

I LOVED this episode! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I loved Hurley sharing the Apollo bar with Ben. I thought the funniest line was when Hurley said, "Guys... cabin." Hurley is such a great guy and I'm glad to know he gets off the island. I'd be pretty bummed if he didn't.

The heartbreak moment for me was Ben saying he thought he was special but he ended up with a tumor on his spine and his daughters blood on his hands. I really felt he was coming to grips with his loss of status with the island and it was sad. Was it just me or did Ben not look like a bad guy at all this week. Did I just say that?!

I got actual goose bumps when Matthew Abaddon was talking to Locke about the walkabout and said, "When you and me run into each other again, you'll owe me one." That was the big shocker for me. I wonder if Abaddon will show up in everyone's flashback at some point to get them to the island.

Dan knew the dude in the cabin was Christian before he even said anything. And what's up with Claire? She looked like she was high or something. Maybe she is just dead and happy. That was really weird.

Oooooo........ I loved this episode!

Laurie B said...

I loved this episode too! Ben is completely broken. Now he will be out for revenge. Going back to a past episode, the one where Ben tells Sayid that the guy killed his wife so he would kill him. I'm not so sure about that one. Ben could just as easily have done it himself to pull Sayid into his plan.

One theory I've heard is that Ben and Widmore are each other's constant. That would explain why they don't just kill each other.

"We have to move the island." Didn't see that one coming.

I'm with you Laura, I was on the edge of my seat too. Lost is back!

Ron said...

And - not to mention that they received the morse code about the ship's doctor washing up on the beach - while the doctor was still on the boat! Too many time variances in this season. It took two days to get to the boat, but the guys on the helicoptor were gone for a few hours... I'm intrigued. Can't wait for tomorrow.

D.L. White said...

Laura - thanks for bringing up the stuff with Matthew Abaddon. I totally forgot to mention him. I definitely want to know more about him. I think his comments to Locke about the walkabout were very telling.

Laurie and Ron - thanks for your comments! I too, would like a few more hints about the nature of time displacement and the island.

Here's a thought... John Locke's mother was named Emily. Ben's mother was named Emily. Are John and Ben brothers? Did Richard "choose" the wrong brother to be the next "chosen one" or "savior" of the island? Reminds me of the Biblical account of Jacob and Esau and the birthright. Are John and Ben twins seperated by a wrinkle in time or time warp?

Can't wait for tonight's show!

D.L. White said...

Here's a link to fun little recap of 17 enduring LOST mysteries.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20200122,00.html

raven said...

I was blown away with this episode. I am sticking to my thoery that the island is related to the "Lost City of Atlantis" and the Others are their decendents, which is why Richard doesn't age. The decendents don't age perhaps, but can't reproduce? If they can move the island, then perhaps that is how the legends of "The Lost City of Atlantis" came to be lost in our legends. Also, I think perhaps this is why the title of the show is in fact LOST...interesting.

D.L. White said...

I know you've always stood by your Atlantis theory from the beginning, and I used to think that theory was a little "out there". But now I think it's becoming even more and more plausible. I guess we'll have to wait and see! :)

raven said...

Yes, you never know with a show this complicated. I am just going to look forward to discoving more Lost secrets and what the writers will do next. :D