Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Let's get LOST! (Episode 13 - There's No Place Like Home)


If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

Two words... Jeremy Bentham.

Ah, three hours of LOST - at least we got one big dose before we go into withdrawals - and it was chock full of everything we love, tons of answers, as well as a new host of questions. There was a final showdown between the man of science (Jack) and the man of faith (Locke), Sayid had one last awesome hand-to-hand combat scene, Sawyer did something honorable for Freckles, Michael finally redeemed himself, ghosts were everywhere (Mr. Eko, Claire, Christian) there were explosions, a helicopter crash, and a disappearing island. Wow. I mean... I'm speechless. I'll try to pick out my favorite moments...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

Desmond looks up from the life raft to see Penny standing at the bow of the rescue ship.
tied with

The camera pulls back to reveal that John Locke is in the coffin.

I had absolutely no idea that Desmond and Penny would be reunited so soon. What a surprise! I will admit my eyes teared up at that scene. What a wonderful, happy moment. Especially after the scene where I was concerned they had killed off Desmond's character. It makes sense that Penny's boat would be near by (remember, she talked to Charlie in the Looking Glass, so she had to be nearby, tracking the anomalies that led her to the island). It also makes sense that she would help the survivors stage their elaborate lie. Does she know her dad (Widmore) is behind all this? Or is she just now uncovering the truth about her dad along with the losties?

I was almost positive that Michael was going to be the one in the coffin. We waited all season to find out who it was and it turned out to be... Jeremy Bentham, i.e. John Locke. I'm just relieved they didn't leave us hanging until next season before they revealed it.

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Sun's heart-wrenching screams as she watches Jin on the boat disappear into an explosion.
tied with
Ben (to Locke): They'll follow you anywhere...

I can't believe they killed Jin. I feel like his plotline with Sun is somewhat unresolved, so I'm not sure how I feel yet about his death. What amazing acting on the part of the actress who plays Sun! I felt her horror and pain at seeing her husband die right before her eyes, just yards away from making it onto the helicopter. I'll admit, I cried at that scene too. That incident certainly makes Sun into a cold woman, bent on revenge... What's worse is that she is teaming up with Widmore - the bad guy!

Speaking of bad guys, even though I still think Ben is an evil, evil man (case in point, he killed a freighter full of innocent people, just to satisfy his need for revenge for his dead daughter), and I find it hard to be sympathetic to him, I did feel sorry for him tonight, as he told Locke he was the head of the island now, and that the Others would follow him anywhere. I was sad too, as he turned the wheel to "move" the island. I give credit to Michael Emerson, the actor who plays Ben, because you could see the sadness and regret in his face, as he knew he would "jump" from the island and never be able to get back. The island is all he ever knew...

Here's the funny moment of the night:

Ben: If you mean time-jumping bunnies, then, yes.

There weren't too many funny moments tonight, but this line made me giggle. The Orchid orientation video Locke was watching (with the bunnies) finally confirmed for us, that space and time travel happens on the island.

Since this was the season finale, I figured I'd add one more section to this post. Here are my top 5 unanswered questions or expectations for the next season

1. What are the "bad things" that happen on the island after the Oceanic 6 have left?

2. Why and how did Locke end up in the coffin?

3. Is Claire dead? What's up with her and all the dead people visions the losties are having?

4. Is the island the lost city of Atlantis? (Thus the title "LOST", the
four-toed statue and other ruins, the magical properties, and the strange hieroglyphs that were in the room with the wheel that "moved" the island.)

5. Will next season start out in the present (i.e. have we caught up to "modern day" or the time of the fast-forwards)?

Of course, I have a TON more questions than that, but those are the first five that are on my mind after watching this season finale. I knew tonight's show would be awesome, but I had no idea it would be this amazing. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It totally blew me away! How about you? Leave me a comment and let's discuss... but let's take our time - we've got six months to wait until the next season...

5 comments:

Laura said...

I know, there's so much that I want to know about but I don't want to spoil the anticipation for season 5!

I have one comment I'll leave now... I think the two people Sun blames for Jin's death are her father (confirmed in finale part 1) and Ben because he killed Keamy and that blew up the freighter.

That would certainly be motivation for her to go see Charles Widmore and set up an alliance of sorts to get Ben. Ooo... that will be good!

D.L. White said...

It seems like maybe Sun is made at all of the Oceanic 6, except for Hurley. Remember when she said she was glad no one else came to see the baby, except Hurley? And last night Jack said, "She blames me..." I wonder if she's taking out her hurt and grief on the other Oceanic 6? Except Hurley, of course - everyone loves Hurley.

Anyway - I do think there's definitely going to be a Widmore/Ben showdown eventually - and it will be interesting to see who is on each side...

monkeyboticus said...

My question is, did Ben move the island or did he send it somewhere else in time?

This had better not turn into "Lost Weekend at Bernie's" with them dragging Locke's body all over. It could be quite humorous if it were Hurley, Ben and if Sawyer had gotten off the island.

Nobody mentioned Charlotte having already been to the island. What's up with that? Who is she? Does she have four toes or five? Does she like Porcupine Tree?

D.L. White said...

lol @ "does Charlotte have 4 toes or 5?" Sounds like maybe Charlotte was born there - maybe her parents were Dharma workers? I guess that's why she got so excited when she discovered the polar bear's collar with the Dharma logo on it. Maybe she's been trying her whole life to get back to the island too.

You're also right - the question may not be where did they move the island (as in location) but where in TIME did they move it to?

Here's another "shocking moment" that I failed to mention - I was totally taken off guard when they started the episode with the scene that ended Season 3 - bearded Jack and crying Kate meeting outside the airport at night. Didn't see that one coming. I thought that scene was over when we'd watched it the first time... ah those crafty tricksy little writers!!!

raven said...

I miss Lost!