Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

13 Days of Halloween - Music to Die For

Each year around Halloween, you can find Halloween-themed CDs on every check-out aisle, and, in my humble opinion, everyone should have at least one spooky sound effects CD and one Halloween Party CD (complete with the requisite theme songs from Psycho, Halloween, and Ghostbusters and the classic Monster Mash). However, if you're looking for something a little more... shall we say... listenable... then I highly recommend anything by the Midnight Syndicate.

Midnight Syndicate is actually two composers, Edward Douglas and Gavin Goszka (pictured above), who have been producing classic gothic nightmare soundtracks for eleven years. Their music is ambient, spooky and beautiful all at the same time. Any sound effects they may use, such as whistling wind or sighing ghosts are used tastefully and minimally, without distracting from the music but almost adding to it. Their soundtracks are symphonic and always tell a hauntingly beautiful story. I like to listen to them even when it's not Halloween (yeah... you don't have to leave me a comment... I already know I'm weird.)

If Midnight Syndicate isn't your thing, then maybe you'd like to make your own mix CD... If so, may I offer up some suggestions... per a Halloween mix CD I made a few years back for Raven (which was organized into monster categories)... I invite you to leave me a comment and let me know what songs I missed, or what Halloween CD you really enjoy.

MURDEROUS PSYCHO KILLERS
#1 Crush by Garbage
Gonna Get Close to You by Queensryche
Maxwell's Silver Hammer by the Beatles
Jenny Was a Friend of Mine by the Killers
Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) by Nancy Sinatra
Sing for Absolution by Muse

GHOSTS
Little Ghost by the White Stripes
Ghost of You by My Chemical Romance
Long Black Veil by The Kingston Trio
Ghost of a Texas Ladies Man by Concrete Blonde
With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm by The Kingston Trio
Happy Phantom by Tori Amos

VAMPIRES
Bloodletting (The Vampire Song) by Concrete Blonde
London by Queensryche
Vampires Will Never Hurt You by My Chemical Romance
Cry Little Sister (Lost Boys Theme) by Gerald McMann
Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All) by Type O Negative

MONSTERS
Monster Mash by Bobby "Boris" Pickett
Zombie Jamboree by The Kingston Trio
Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley
Devil Inside by INXS
Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Weber

And last but not least, my newly discovered and current favorite Halloween song is "The Horror of Our Love" by Ludo.

9 comments:

D.L. White said...

I forgot to mention, I also like to listen to Danny Elfman's soundtracks to "Sleepy Hollow", "Beetlejuice" and, of course, "The Nightmare Before Christmas." They provide perfect Halloween-esque type music as well.

Laura said...

So funny, I was reading your list and thought how can she not have any Elfman or Oingo Boingo on this list?! I love the album Music for a Darkened Theater Volumes 1 & 2. Great songs from Edward Scissorhands, Dolores Claiborne, Tales From the Crypt, Beetlejuice, Darkman, even Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

I think all the Oingo Boingo albums are Halloween appropriate. I mean, it's not a Halloween party until you hear...

It's a dead mans party.
Who could ask for more?
Everybody's coming leave your body at the door...
Leave your body and soul at the door.

Dan and I went to Oingo Boingo's farewell concert in 1996 at Universal Amphitheater in L.A. Here's a link to a review of the concert on DVD (I have to get this on Netflix!):

Oingo Boingo Farewell

Ah, the memories!

raven said...

I have got to get the soundtrack to Beatle juice, Sleepy Hallow and the NBC!!!! That would be so cool to have at Halloween. We always watch the NBC, so I do get to listen to the music when I watch the movie, but it would be nice to have the soundtrack too. I think I'll check out Itunes and see if I can get them there! Also, I still listen to my Halloween CD you made me (even when it isn't Halloween)! It's really the best collection! Curently we have been listening to a Halloween CD which has these songs:

1. Monster Mash - Pickett, Bobby "Bor
2. Ghostbusters - Parker, Ray [1] Jr.
3. Purple People Eater - Wooley, Sheb
4. Werewolves of London - Marinell, LeRoy
5. Rock Lobster - Schneider, Fred
6. I'm Your Boogie Man - Casey, Harry Wayne
7. Disco Inferno - Green, Leroy
8. The Time Warp - OBrien, Richard
9. Love Potion No. 9 - Leiber, Jerry
10. Spooky - Buie, Buddy

Also, I love these classical pieces! I could listen to them all year long.

1. Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565 - Bach, Johann Sebast
2. Danse Macabre - Saint-Saens, Camill(my favorite).
3. Funeral March of a Marionette - Gounod, Charles
4. Night on Bald Mountain - Mussorgsky, Modest
5. March to the Scaffold
6. In the Hall of the Mountain King
7. Mephisto Waltz: Mephisto Waltz - Liszt, Franz
8. The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Dukas, Paul [compos
9. Dream of a Witches' Sabbath

D.L. White said...

I knew I was forgetting some stuff!! Thanks Laura and Raven, for filling in the blanks! :)

I love, love, love Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor.

raven said...

Also, I love Thriller by M.J.

Anonymous said...

An American Werewolf in London has a very cheeky soundtrack full of full moon and werewolf related music. Very fun. I always watch that movie around halloween. Chad

chandy said...

Kind of off topic, but have you been to Disneyland during Halloween, when they decorate the Haunted Mansion ala Nightmare Before Christmas? Pretty cool!

D.L. White said...

@ Chad - BLUE MOON!!! :) Love that soundtrack!

@ Chandy - I'm a big Disney fan, a Halloween fanatic, and the Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride...but believe it or not, I have yet to go to Disneyland during Halloween!!! I'm dying to go!!! Ironically, I'd planned on doing a post about the Haunted Mansion on Friday. :P

Speaking of which, the classic soundtrack/album of the Haunted Mansion ride was just re-released by Disney on I-tunes. I must have it!!! I love the song "Grim Grinning Ghosts."

D.L. White said...

A couple days ago I discovered that Sirius Satellite radio has a Halloween channel (Channel Scream 113). The XM radio channel is Channel Gore 104. They play a mix of spoken word poems and ghost stories, comedians telling jokes about trick or treating, spooky sound effect tracks, gothic classical pieces, soundtracks from scary movies, and Halloween novelty songs (like the monster mash).