Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2008

13 Days of Halloween - Terrifying Television

Oh well. So much for my plan to do a post-a-day, counting down to Halloween... I had no idea how over-committed I was to activities related to this holiday. I guess when it comes to Halloween, I have a problem with saying "no." So forgive me my lapses... I hope to make it up to you by posting several articles today, that I had originally planned to post over the last few days.

This post might actually be a little too late, but in case you're looking for something to watch on TV this Halloween, several cable channels will be running scary movie marathons.

The Chiller channel (DirecTv) is always running scary movies, so I'm sure they will have a good lineup. This past weekend I caught a documentary on the Chiller channel called Universal's Monsters which was really good. They interviewed people who were involved with the first Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy movies, and talked about why the cultural climate at the time helped make those films such a success, what went into the process of creating the films and the special effects, and more behind the scenes type tidbits. If you can catch it, I recommend it.

The AMC channel is airing a "Fear Fest X" which started on October 22nd and runs through until Halloween night. It is "the most comprehensive collection of Halloween horror ever aired on TV, showcasing more than 230 hours of non-stop movies for 10 days and 10 nights." For a schedule listing, you can go here.

The Food Network was running a special theme of "Sweets and Treats", airing shows that deal with candy making, along with other Halloween type recipes. I've gotten a few good ideas from these shows.

Of course, you can always watch re-runs of the Addams Family on Hulu or catch The Twilight Zone or Ghost Hunters on the SciFi channel. The SciFi channel will also be running scary movies on Halloween night. You can watch Most Haunted - Live! on the Travel channel or watch one of my all-time favorite movies, Shaun of the Dead on Comedy Central.

What makes me really sad though, is that it appears no one is airing It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, a Halloween classic! I guess I will have to watch it on DVD.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Since I have impressionable small children (and I don't like super scary stuff anyway!) we only have cartoon Halloween stuff to watch, all of which have been on TV at some point.

Max and Ruby's Halloween
Dora's Halloween
Little Bear's Halloween Stories
Pooh's Heffalump Halloween
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
and, my favorite...
The Nightmare Before Christmas

I love getting out seasonal DVD's for the kids to watch. Next are the Thanksgiving ones:
Pooh's Season of Giving and A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.

I have way too many Christmas DVD's to list them all here!

Laura said...

Oh, I forgot to mention how much I love You're Not Elected Charlie Brown, it's on the Great Pumpkin DVD. I don't think the kids get a lot of the humor, but I crack up every time they watch it.

Linus is running for student body president and is so far ahead in the polls, he decides to skip his planned speech on how he would help the students and instead delivers a speech on the Great Pumpkin. Charlie Brown and Lucy (his campaign manager) are mortified and it almost costs Linus the election! That scene is hilarious!

D.L. White said...

Good ol' Charlie Brown... :)

They just don't make cartoons like they used to...