Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

13 Days of Halloween - Things I've learned...


Hello, Faithful Readers! If you don't already know, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! To celebrate, I thought I would count down the 13 days of Halloween, and share my favorite Halloween memories, favorite scary movies and more. To kick off day one, I thought I'd share a helpful list of things I've learned from Halloweens past...

THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM PAST HALLOWEENS

1. Temporary hair color isn't necessarily temporary.
I went as a banshee one year, and bought the colored hairspray to make my hair look like fire (red, orange, yellow). The bottle said it was temporary, and I figured hairspray washes out, right? Uh...yeah... I had weird patches of orange hair for the next two weeks. At least it blended with the fall colors, right?

2. If your costume comes with an explanation, you'll be better off finding another costume.
There is nothing more annoying than spending all Halloween night trying to explain "who you are supposed to be", and then, once you've given your dissertation, they still don't get it. I'm a geek; I'll admit it, and I like to take my costume ideas from the books and movies I like. However, unless you are going to a party filled with like-minded individuals, it's best to just stick with a basic witch costume, than deal with the frustration of no one knowing how cool your costume is. Case in point, I dressed up as Ophelia from"Hamlet" one year. Big flowing dress, flowers strewn in my hair and all over my dress, makeup to make me look palid and drowned. No one got it. (I know, I'm an English major geek. What was I thinking?)

3. Never ever go first into the haunted house.
Some friends and I went into one of those large haunted houses that go up every year in parking lots and old store fronts. In case you don't know, they send you through in groups, so that they can coordinate the triggers and live actors. In one particular haunted house, we had to go single-file and I was shoved to the front. Everyone else was screaming just as loud as me, but I got made fun of because I was the first to yell. Plus, I was the first one to be seen running screaming out the exit doors...

4. Wigs are itchy.
There's no getting around it. If you're going to wear a wig, be prepared to scratch your head all night.

5. If the candy looks like it was made in the 70s, it probably was.
I suspect there are some people who buy candy on the cheap the day after Halloween, store it for a year, then bust it out the next Halloween. Perhaps the stores also hold onto it. Either way, if it looks nasty or old, don't eat it.

6. No one has the patience (or appreciation) for black and white horror movies.
For one Halloween party I had when I was a teenager, I screened the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" for my guests. Classic horror film. I was enthralled with watching it again, excited to be sharing the experience with my friends, when I suddenly realized how quiet the darkened room had gotten, and turned around to see all my friends asleep or dying from boredom. Bottom line - don't screen these types of movies unless you're in a room full of other officianados. (See tip 2. Apparently I have weird tastes.)

7. Carving pumpkins isn't nearly as fun as it looks.
It's a messy and time-consuming project, for something that is only going to last one night. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy doing it, this is just a word of warning: allow yourself a couple of hours or more (especially if you've decided to follow one of those complicated templates that are so popular nowdays), have the right tools, and plenty of patience.

8. This tip is for all the kids... HIDE YOUR CANDY BAG!
Your parents will sneak into it once you've gone to bed and eat all the good candy! Horde it under your bed! Either that or barter them for 15 more minutes on the Wii for every piece they take! ;)

What are some of the lessons you've learned from Halloweens past? Leave me a comment and let me know! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words from an expert! Well done, Halloweenophile!

Jessica S. said...

I think this is the funniest and most helpful text I've read on Halloween. There's nothing like reading other people's experiences, but I was glad that you wrote about things that are relevant to my life. Such as the wig tip, the costume tip (I love Shakespeare! I would dress up as something totally cool and geeky like that too, don't worry), and the truth about pumpkin carving. Thanks Davina!!

D.L. White said...

Thanks for the comments! :) Jessica - you'll have to let me know if you ever go as a Shakespeare character. :) I would totally think you were cool! :P

Tianna said...

Impressed..! Thanks for sharing your past Halloween experiences.

raven spiner said...

I have never been the first into a haunted area...scary! I am not sure I could do that. (shaking in my boots).

If my parents ate my candy I would be soooooo upset as a kid. But my dad was super careful and threw away 1/2 my candy after the "inspection" was over. I'd be like, "No, not the snickers bar, ahhhhhh"

I don't really get into the black and white horror movies either, but I have seen Dracula and Phantom of the Opera a lot.

I love the gooie insides of the pumpkin and toasting the pumpkin seeds...yummmmm!

I posted a list on my site of 13 things I enjoy about Halloween and I even mention you on #13. whahahhaha!

Laura said...

The only "tip" I have to share is that I don't buy candy I like to give out to trick-or-treaters. The poor kids who come to my house get Tootsie Pops. I learned a long time ago that a bag of fun sized Reeses won't make it to Halloween!

D.L. White said...

Raven - I'll have to go check out your blog right now! (You mention me???)

Laura - I have a pumpkin candy dish at work and I used the same logic - I filled it with hard candy that I don't like. If there were any chocolate in there, I wouldn't be able to resist!!!

raven spinner said...

Don't eat that indian corn though.... the original candy corn is the way to go. Ask Laura, she was unfortunate to try some indian corn...