Pages

Saturday, November 01, 2008

13 Days of Halloween - Masquerade Memories

This is my last post for the 13 Days of Halloween, and I'm in a bittersweet mood. I love this holiday but I am always sad when it is over. I had originally wanted to take the opportunity in this last post to share some memories I have about Halloween, but I feel like it's going to turn into a rant about "the good old days" and thus make me feel like an old fuddy duddy. To keep myself from writing a dissertation on how Halloween has changed, I'm going to limit myself to a list...

Favorite Halloween Costume - I've had several favorite costumes, but one that I remember being the most excited about was Princess Leia from Star Wars. Although, words cannot describe my disappointment when I put on the costume and looked in the mirror and did not see myself magically transformed into Princess Leia (as I had imagined) but saw myself in a plastic mask and a plastic rectangle-shaped smock with two holes cut out the sides for my arms. Ah, how costumes for kids have improved dramatically since then (there I go already... feeling old...). Then, to make matters worse, my mother made me wear a sweater over the costume because, believe it or not, it was actually cold that night in Arizona. I was disillusioned, to say the least. If you remember those plastic costumes, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Favorite Trick-or-Treating Memory - When I was young, the housing community I grew up in was on the outskirts of Phoenix in the desert. There were several ranches in the area, so it wasn't uncommon to see people riding horses down the sidewalk on a regular basis. But on Halloween, one of the horse owners really got into the spirit and transformed into... the Headless Horseman! He had an all black horse and a very elaborate black velvet costume with cape, old fashioned riding boots, gloves, etc. The costume was the type where the torso and shoulders were extended up so that it looked headless. He carried his jack-o-lantern head underneath his arm, which was actually one of those plastic pumpkin buckets we all used to trick-or-treat with, and it was filled with candy. He rode his horse slowly up and down the streets in the neighborhood and, if you were brave enough to go up to him and say "trick or treat" he would lower the pumpkin so you could take some candy. He stayed in character though, and never spoke a word. Totally creepy, but totally cool.

Favorite Halloween Candy - How can you pick just one? Is it the tootsie pops, jolly ranchers, smarties or the bazooka bubble gum? The word got around fast amongst trick or treaters on the street when a house was passing out the "good" candy (i.e. Hershey's chocolate miniature candy bars). And don't get me wrong, I love me some chocolate (reese's peanut butter cups, kit kats, three musketeers, snickers), but there is no second-guessing what my favorite Halloween candy is... I love candy corn! This is a very divisive candy - people either love it or hate it. I'm in the love it category. It just wasn't Halloween until my mom poured a big bag of candy corn into the glass pumpkin candy jar.

So what about you? Leave me a comment and let me know what is your favorite costume, favorite memory or favorite candy. And thanks to you, all of my Loyal Readers, for following along with me on this fun Halloween series of posts. I hope you enjoyed them...

By the way, I may or may not be posting in November. It all depends on if I decide to participate in NaNoWriMo...

1 comment:

Laura said...

My mother always made our costumes. Looking back, they were always the best costumes of all my friends (in my humble opinion) but I always wanted one of those store bought costumes with the plastic mask that had the thin elastic band to attach to your head! Sad, but true. My favorite costume that my mother made was when I was a fairy and she put glitter all over a cat-eye mask. She made wings and covered them with aluminum foil and I wore a very cool dress I had that had bat-wing sleeves. I looked very cool.

In high school, we always went to our friends The Leeses for a Halloween party. They are a very "eclectic" family (two of their children are in the arts one used to work for Disney animation, very talented family) and their father is into practical jokes. If he didn't scare all the girls into a screaming frenzy, he didn't think Halloween was a success. One year he had pity on us and climbed the tree in their front yard to throw candy at us when we came over for the party. Ah... memories.

Since I don't buy candy (unless it's European chocolate, I'm a chocolate snob) I don't really have a favorite Halloween candy. The only thing that you can't get any other time of the year is candy corn, so I guess I would say it's my favorite Halloween candy. Be sure you don't get the Indian Corn (the one with brown). It's yucky.

Thanks for posting your ode to Halloween these past weeks. I've had fun reading... and writing... about it!