Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 1, Because You Left & Episode 2, The Lie)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

My mind is still mush... I'm still trying to process everything that we saw in last night's two-hour season premiere. I don't even feel like I have a sufficient enough grasp on everything to be able to write this post, but I want to get it up here, so we can all have a place to chat and share theories. Isn't this the most amazing show ever? I can't recall any other TV show inspiring this much devotion and obsession in me.

So, this is the third time (I think) that the show has started with someone waking up and turning on a record player (or CD) - Desmond in the Hatch, Juliette in her cabin and now Dr. Chang/Halliwax/Candle. I wonder if he and his wife had their baby before they came to the island, since pregnant women die before giving birth? And now I'm wondering if that baby was Miles? Richard and Locke's interchange was interesting as he handed him the compass, which looked like the same compass he showed Locke as a child. We saw the return of the cranky Sawyer that we know and love, who apparently has given up on his promise to Hurley and is back to giving people insulting nicknames. Lawyers showed up on Kate's doorstep, representing someone who obviously knows that Aaron is not really her son. Sayid was shot by a tranquilizer dart and still managed to kill a bunch of guys. Sun is acting odd, like one of the Others, and I fear she can no longer be trusted. All in all, it was a great episode that was chock full of gunfights, purple-light explosions, flaming arrows, mysteries, ghosts (hello Anna Lucia) and time travel. Oh... and hot pockets...

This show with its overlapping time lines is all starting to feel like it's turning in on itself like an ouroboros. I hope I can hang on for the rest of the ride without losing my mind. Until then, here are a few of my favorite moments from the evening.

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

One of the construction workers in the Orchid station lifts his head to reveal - it's Daniel Faraday!

How can you pick just one event, from all the shocking events we saw? But to me, it was quite a shock to see Faraday working on the island - in the 70s! How was it possible for him to be there? He would have been a little kid in the 70s, not the age he is now. So does that mean Faraday has he found a way to not only travel through time via consciousness (like Desmond did) but has also found a way to travel through time physically as well? He looked a little disoriented, but then again, he pretty much looks that way all the time. I also liked the scene where Faraday sent a message to Desmond in the future, by talking to Desmond in the past. (Ouch! I just pulled a brain muscle when I typed that sentence.)

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Hurley: We lied, ma.

Hurley's confession to this mother was so touching. Hurley continues to be the heart and the moral compass for the show. The show would be so much the lesser without him. I really like his character, and feel bad that he's so tortured and has such low self-esteem. Which brings me to this question - Is Hurley the last person left that needs to redeem or make peace with his past? He still has all the same emotional problems that he had before the island. Sure, he's made a few strides, but then he gets knocked back down by some failure or catastrophe (like the death of Libby). I want him to find redemption and peace and be happy. I hope the writers have that planned for him.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Hurley (to Sayid): You know if you ate comfort food, maybe you wouldn't have to go around killing people.

There were actually quite a few funny lines last night. Hurley had another funny quip, when he was explaining to his mom about how Sayid is a nice guy, but he also does ninja stuff. Sawyer had a funny moment with an interrupted expletive during one of the time jumps. Even Richard Alpert got in on the fun, when Locke asked him what the compass does and he said in the driest, deadpan voice, "It points north, John."

Well... Locke is on ice in the butcher shop, Hurley has been arrested, Kate is on the run (again) and Sun is acting slightly evil. Why does Locke have to die to save the island? Why do the Oceanic 6 have to return to stop the island from time-jumping? What did you think about the kick-off of Season 5? Did it meet or exceed your expectations? Is it getting too confusing to be able to follow along and enjoy it? I invite you to share your thoughts and theories in the comments section. It's good to be back...

P.S. Here's a picture of the LOST cake I made for our premiere night viewing party.  The time jumping bunnies are my favorite part. :)

16 comments:

chandy said...

Why is there a dead Pakistani on my couch?

D.L. White said...

LOL - that was a good one too!

Laura said...

I loved it! I agree, there are a lot of unanswered questions from last night (no surprise). I don't think it's too confusing, but we've been keeping up with the show and have had a few years to keep the "degrees of separation" strait in our minds.

One thought I have is quite disturbing, what are we going to do with ourselves when LOST is over? Will it be all that we hoped for? Will all the questions be answered? I wouldn't put it past the writers to leave a couple of ideas hanging out there, just to keep their options open.

The flying Hot Pocket was my favorite funny moment. That and Sawyer's line, "Sonofa..." (purple flash...) "b****!"

I love this show.

mikeo75 said...

Loved the "it points north" line too!

Didn't pick up on the compass...nice catch!

Kathleen said...

I couldn't help but love it when Hurley thew his hot pocket at Ben. I mean, if I thought I was alone and getting a midnight snack and Ben showed up in my kitchen all dressed in black I would scream and throw my hot pocket at him too. Ben's face was...perfect...I just died laughing at that.

Kathleen said...

Oh, and "When" was it as the beach got attacked with flaming arrows. Flamming arrows????

The Trousered Ape said...

"Flaming arrows?" Well, they were asking for fire...guess you better be careful of what you ask for because the island is listening.

I wonder with all the skipping through time we are going to find out something about the 4-toed statues. :)

D.L. White said...

Here's some more thoughts that I had posted on another blog. Thought I would re-post them here for this discussion...

--Frogurt was wearing a red shirt. A nice inside joke by the costume dept.

--The British men that accosted Juliette and Sawyer looked like they might be military rather than Dharma. And it looked like old military uniforms too...

-- We'd been referencing Mrs. Hawking off an on while we were watching the beginning of the show, referring back to her discussion about the rules of time travel with Desmond, and how the universe “course-corrects” so you can’t change it. So I don't think we were surprised really, when she showed up towards the end. We recognized her right away. I also predict that Mrs. Hawking is Faraday’s mother. Why else would he tell Desmond to find his mom?

-- I want to know who sent the lawyers after Kate. I think it was Sun… I don’t know why… I just know she’s acting strange… especially in that conversation she had with Kate. Maybe Widmore knows he needs the Oceanic 6 to get back to the island, so Sun is trying to round them up? I just don't know why Sun would join forces with him. She talked to Penny herself, and knows it was his freighter and his men, and that he'd told them to kill everyone... I don't get it.

D.L. White said...

A couple of interesting things I read on another blog:

- When John gets shot in the leg (in this season 5 episode), does that explain his sudden inability to walk in the season 1 episode with Boone when they were in the jungle? Also, in season 1 when he has the dream and Eko's brother shows him where the plane is - was that a dream, or was he actually "remembering" it because he was there when the island jumped (in season 5)... yeah, that made my head hurt...

-- Rousseau said all her people died of an unknown sickness and nothing she did could cure them. We always assumed that either 1. Rousseau was crazy and/or killed them herself or 2. it was the contaminant that Desmond thought had polluted the island. But what if, when her ship crashed onto the island, that they didn't come in on the correct coordinates, and they all got the time-jumping-bloody-nose-going-crazy sickness like Minkowski and now Charlotte? Rousseau just didn't know what was going on or what caused it.

-- With the frozen donkey wheel turned, and the Swan station blown up - maybe the island is now free to time jump - and what if it's jumping every 108 minutes? That would explain why the button had to be pushed every 108 minutes, and Desmond WAS saving the world - not "the" world in it's entirety, but their world as they knew it on the island.

D.L. White said...

Here's another interesting tidbit. The weird swinging pendulum thing that was drawing with chalk on the floor in the room with Mrs. Hawking is called a Foucault pendulum. It's a real physics tool that can demonstrate and measure the rotation of the earth! How cool is that? And how cool is it that the writers knew about it and incorporated it into the show? You can read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

Z-Man said...

Part of what I was thinking is that the older woman who appears to be pulling Ben's strings AND was with Desmond in the jewelry shop a couple seasons ago might turn out to be Mr. Faraday's mother. Hurley telling his mom about the survivors will turn out to be a bad thing. Creepy black guy (now cool black FBI guy on Fringe) will come knocking and she'll tell him what Hurley told her. Desmond and Penny will be sent back to the island by the old woman (who turns out to be Faraday's mom). They will be the final catalyst in settling the island down, and it will be revealed that they are, in fact, the Adam and Eve from season 1. The remaining 815 survivors will team up with the remaining Others, and the series will end with a bunch of new 815 type people crashing on the island and Ben/Locke/Jack/Sawyer/Walt whoever's in charge barking orders to people to infiltrate. Oh, and I'm convinced that, if they live, Kate will actually end up with Sawyer and Jack will end up with Juliette. Richard doesn't age, because he's dead. Like Charlie, Jack's dad and other people who have shown up post mortem. The island can skip them around in time even if they're dead. Got all that? I'm most likely wrong about most of it.

D.L. White said...

Thanks for the input David! Sounds like you've got it all figured out - ha ha! I agree - I've thought all the long that Desmond and Penny are the Adam and Eve from season 1.

I wonder if they will ever explain the white and black stones found in the pouch in Adam's pocket. Remember Jack took them and didn't show them to anyone or tell anyone about them. I wonder what happened to them?

Jessie said...

Okay, so I'm kind of new to this Lost thing. I watch it with my husband. But now I'm feeling like the loser kid who wants to be apart of some group.

So, most of your comments went way over my head. Oh well. I'll still watch it.

LOVE the cake! Amazing... I even get it!

D.L. White said...

Jessie - did you just jump in this season? That might explain a lot of the confusion. The first season was pretty straight-forward, but each consecutive season has gotten weirder and weirder.

Either way - we'll let you be a part of the club!!! :) We're just a bunch of nerds obsessing about a TV show anyway... :P

D.L. White said...

I dunno why I'm just now finding out about this website...

The author does hilarious recaps of the show using screen-captures. (Warning, the language does occasionally get saucy.)

http://www.theackattack.net/

Laura said...

btw, I caught something in the re-watch of last night's enhanced episode of "The Lie"... when Ana-Lucia stops Hurley she tells him "What ever you do, DON"T GET ARRESTED." And then we see Hurley leave Ben with is mouth agape and go running to the LAPD to surrender and get arrested.

Hmm...