Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 2, Jughead)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

By a show of hands, how many of you feel like you need a few charts, notebooks, diagrams and a copy of Stephen Hawking's Brief History of Time, in addition to the pause/rewind button on your DVR, in order to follow along with this show? Yep, I thought so. That's exactly how I feel. Don't get me wrong; I'm still enjoying the show, it's just requiring a lot more mental heavy lifting than ever before. Maybe I'm just suffering from time travel sickness... if my nose starts bleeding, then I might consider turning off the TV.

Until then, let's chat about last night's show. We visited the early 1950s where we got a lesson in how to speak Latin, some more redshirts got blown up, and we met the Others who had destroyed an Army platoon and taken over their camp. Faraday taught us the delicate procedures required for defusing an H-Bomb (i.e. "Bury it!") and Locke tried to have a circular conversation with Richard Alpert. Oh yeah, and Faraday declared his love for Charlotte in a slightly uncomfortable, awkward way. We visited 2005 briefly, to see Penny give birth to her and Desmond's first child. Then the rest of the time was spent in 2007, with Desmond trying to track down Faraday's mother. During his investigation, wearing his nifty Bono sunglasses, Desmond discovers that Faraday has messed up the brain of one of his human "test subjects" and Harvard denies any knowledge of him or his mother, and then Desmond made a promise to Penny that we all know he won't be able to keep...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

Locke: Did you say your name was Widmore?
Other: Yeah.
Locke: Charles Widmore?
Other: Yeah - what's it to you?

Whoa! We knew Charles Widmore had some kind of connection to the island, but I never guessed that he was an Other - an original inhabitant. I always assumed he was an evil corporate guy that wanted to steal the technology and powers that Dharma had discovered there. I think we can see glimpses now, of why Charles and Ben are at odds with each other. Ben was brought to the island with Dharma, and was chosen to lead the Others, so maybe Charles thought he wasn't worthy/qualified to be their leader? Maybe Charles thought he should be the leader? Last night, Richard said there was a lengthy process to choosing their leader... wonder what it is? I was also reminded of the scene in Season 4 when Widmore tells Ben "it's MY island."

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

When Faraday tells Charlotte he won't let anything happen to her... then later, when she passes out, blood gushing from her nose, we see Faraday's anguished face.

Oh, poor Charlotte. Are we going to be able to learn about her backstory, and why she calls the island "home", before she dies? I feel terrible for Faraday too. He's our unlikely hero... he knows enough to know what's going on, but there's not much he can do to fix it. That has to be torture, especially when you see it endangering the life of someone you love. I wonder if Faraday was in love with Theresa - the girl from Harvard whose brain he accidentally scrambled? Speaking of Faraday... what's up with Widmore funding his research? Was he hoping Faraday would find a formula to explain how the island travels through time, and thus be able to locate it?

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Locke: You told me that. In the future.
Richard: Well, I certainly wouldn't want to contradict myself...

There were hardly any moments of humor in last night's episode... probably because Hurley wasn't on the scene... but this line was pretty funny. Actually, the whole conversation with Locke and Richard was unintentionally humorous, because it was just so bizarre, with Locke trying to explain things that haven't happened yet, but have. I love it when Locke said he would be born in two years, and for Richard to go visit him. And of course, we know he does. So is Locke caught in some weird time loop or is he "special" like Desmond or what? Because I thought one of the rules was "you can't change what happens". Would Richard have gone to see baby Locke anyways if he hadn't told him to do it? (Ouch! I pulled another brain muscle.)

All in all, this was a solid episode. The Demsond-centric episodes always are. By the way, I love it that they named their little boy after Charlie. I wonder if the island is going to time-jump for the whole season. I'm not sure I'm ready or prepared for that ride! In the meantime, I invite you to share your thoughts and theories in the comments section.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is the English bird with the gun Faraday's mother? He did recognize her. Is Chuck his dad? Is baby Charlie going to time warp and be our Charlie from before? I ask that question because Desmond could not remember when he had been to Oxford to see Faraday. Maybe there's some kind of timey wimey thing going on there as well, and he's there (last night) PRIOR to 1996.

I like the red shirt Star Trek reference. Very clever.

Oh, this was posted by Z-man

D.L. White said...

Faraday said he recognized her (Ellie). He said something like "you look so much like her". At first I thought he meant the girl from Harvard that he messed up. Then I thought it was his mom. But now I'm wondering if that's Charlotte's mother or grandmother... since we know Charlotte was born on the island.

Shawn has an interesting theory on baby Charlie Hume. I'll let him share it here...

Either way... ABC needs to start distributing free aspirin to all the LOST fans. I get a headache every time I try to think about this show!

mikeo75 said...

Interesting that you didn't find it that funny cause I laughed a lot. I read EW's Jeff Jensen today and he saw a lot of it too.

Funny moments like Daniel asking the ghost guy "Did they happen to say what year it was?"

Or Sawyer "you told her?"

Anyways, thought some of it was funny, especially the line you mentioned above.

Laura said...

I think I'm too confused to leave a thoughtful comment.

It's all up in the air now...

D.L. White said...

@ Mike - Hmmm... I was just having a really hard time remembering the funny lines. Probably because I'm obsessing over everything else. You're right, those lines were good. I guess I might have to start taking notes. (O,h has it come to this?!?!)

@ Laura - I feel ya! Let those thoughts simmer in your noggin', then come back and post later. :)

chandy said...

I'm looking forward to the post where you explain everything thoroughly for me, all wrapped up in a nice little bow.

I will admit, however, that during Penny's birth scene, I was desparately hoping that the baby wouldn't be born with 4 toes...

D.L. White said...

@ Chandy - uh...yeah... you're gonna be waiting a long time for that one! :P

LOL at your four toed baby comment. You are too much! :P

Anonymous said...

So what if baby Charlie actually turns out to be Daddy Charles? And Charlotte turns out to be Faraday's daughter?

Z-Man

D.L. White said...

Okay - that's it. My brain has officially imploded!!!

chandy said...

ack-attack has the new re-cap posted!

D.L. White said...

Woot! I'll have to go check it out!