Pages

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 3, The Little Prince)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

Last night's show was something we don't get very often - an ensemble-type episode, where no one character was really at the forefront, which was a fun change. However, I think I shall refer to it as the "Nosebleed Episode." I'm guessing that's why Ben/Mrs. Hawking said they had a 70 hour window to get back to the island... if they don't make it back in time, everyone is going to pull a Minkowski, and die a horrible, lost-in-time death... with bloody noses, no less. Yuck.

Sun was still up to no good. That woman is consumed by her grief. Jack has yet to exhibit signs of withdrawals from his meds. Kate chased after the evil lawyer, only to discover later that it was a ploy by Ben all the long, to shake her up and convince her to go back to the island with Aaron. Sawyer continued to be his cranky self, and we got to meet Rousseau when she was young and pregnant and not crazy yet. The Oceanic Six are slowly being pulled together. All they have to do is convince crazy Sun to go with them, and get Hurley out of jail and Locke out of the freezer. Once they are together, how will they go back? And will they make it in time? Until we find all that out, here are my favorite moments of the evening...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

One word - JIN!

Yes!!! Jin is alive! How awesome and unexpected of a shocker was this? I can't tell you how happy I am that they decided to keep him on the show. I'm not a 'shipper (someone who is all caught up with the romantic relationships on this show) but Jin and Sun have been through so much together, I really want them to have a happy ending. They've still got a long ways to go - physically (through time and space) and emotionally (Sun) but I'm rooting for them! I also feel like Jin hasn't been able to reach his full potential in the story either. I see him having a few heroic moments in the future...

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Sawyer: "I saw Kate..."

Again, like I said, I'm not really into the romantic relationships on this show, but my heart broke for poor lovelorn Sawyer, when he saw Kate in the past, but couldn't talk to her (for fear of freaking out the space-time continuum). The Kate/Sawyer/Jack love triangle was mildly interesting to me in the past, but this morning I found myself genuinely curious and wondering - who is Kate going to end up with? Sawyer is obviously head-over-heels for her, but then there was that scene on the Searcher, when Jack asked Kate if she was with him (on the plan to lie) and she said, "I've always been with you." and the answer seemed laden with deeper meaning. Where does Kate's heart truly lie?

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

A boat full of people are shooting at the Losties...
The purple light in the sky starts to crank up, signaling a time jump...

Sawyer: Thank you Lord!

I love it that every now and then, the writers will have a character say something that reflects what we all (the viewers) are thinking. Normally they give lines like that to Hurley, when he says what a normal person would, when placed in some of the ridiculous situations that the island has to offer. The main characters face down the island's dangers with grim looks and squared jaws, while Hurley points out, "Dude, was that a smoke monster?" Lately, they've been giving these lines to Sawyer. He's having such a human/true reaction to the island time-jumping. Everyone else seems to be going along for the ride without really questioning it. Sawyer is cursing at the sky one minute, then thanking God the next, that they're jumping out of a dangerous situation. He's not out to save the world. He's a simple guy; he just wants to camp out on the beach with a Dharma beer and his main squeeze Kate. His frustration is genuine and very human.

This was another fun episode. Leave me a comment and let me know what some of your favorite moments were. How do you think they're going to get back to the island? Who is Kate going to end up with? Why was this episode called "The Little Prince"? Let's discuss!

11 comments:

Laura said...

Oh yeah, it was a ride! Although it seems like this episode was easy to follow, I certainly don't expect the writers to follow any of the plot lines I have going in my head. :P

I hadn't thought about it before but the team with Rousseau could have "gone crazy" with nose bleeds if they started time jumping and that's why she killed them. Who knows? ;) I certainly hope JJ and Damon do!

Laura said...

Also, I assumed the title "The Little Prince" referred to Aaron and some kind of relation to the book of the same name by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I read it and saw the movie while studying French in high school. Great adult story written for children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_little_prince

Laura said...

In the Wikipedia section "references in popular culture":

A fifth season episode of the television show Lost is entitled "The Little Prince." In that episode, a vessel with the name Besixdouze (carrying a French crew) has crashed on the Island.

This could be another reference like all the Alice in Wonderland stuff in past seasons. Maybe we'll have more Little Prince stuff in the future. I'll have to find our copy in the kids books!

The Trousered Ape said...

In regard to them returning to the island, I'm sure Ben knows where to find the Skipper and Gilligan...

chandy said...

Funny moments:

Sawyer: Whose boats are these? Other others?

Hurley (wearing an orange jump-suit): No, I'm in the LA County lock up. I'm totally safe now!

And did I miss something with Sawyer and Kate? I thought Sawyer was in love with me? (kidding ;)

D.L. White said...

@ Laura - I think you're right, about the nosebleeding/time-jumping going crazy thing being the "sickness" that Rousseau's people died from. I wonder why she didn't also die? Was it because she was pregnant? Or did the Oceanic 6 stop the time-jumping of the island in time, to where she didn't die, but it was already too late for her crew?

@ Shawn - Will it be a three hour tour?

@ Chandra - You're always so good at remembering the funny lines.

Laura said...

Yeah, and when Desmond turned the key and the sky turned purple, did he start time jumping and that's how he knew Charlie would die?

The Trousered Ape said...

@ Laura - yes, that is correct.

monkeyboticus said...

So they are all gathering at the Marina in L.A. Isn't that where Desmondo and Penneh are heading?

When they show up Ben will be all like, "Hey, you're Charles Widmore's daughter, and I'm going to kill you."
And Penny will be like, "No, I'm his mother." And everyone, including Desmond, will look all confused, the creepy music will play, fade to black.

Then the rest of them will be like, "Huh, didn't see that one coming. I suppose we should be off to save the island then."

monkeyboticus said...

I have a question. How is Jin blip blooping through time when he was farther away from the island than the helicopter?

Also, does anyone else think that La Peodis (sp) sounds a lot like George American? "Stay outta my trash!!"

The Trousered Ape said...

@ Z-man - Maybe the effect of the island moving has to do with circumference and not necessarily height. So the surface area surrounding the area would be effected, but not things above the surface? Just one possible idea.