Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 4, This Place is Death)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

Last night we saw the return of Smokey, and saw the terrible demise of Rousseau's crew. We saw the Oceanic 6 reunited briefly, then split apart again. We saw the frozen donkey wheel rocking off its axis and Jacob/Christian Shepard made another cryptic appearance. It's amazing that after four seasons, this show still has me completely invested and engaged in the story. Last night I found myself getting very nervous for some characters, rooting for some, getting teary-eyed over others. What a great show, that they can still elicit those responses from me. Kudos to the writers! Here are my favorite moments from the evening...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

Charlotte: I'm remembering something...when I was a child... this man came to me, he scared me. He told me I could never come back to the island or I would die.
Faraday: Why are you telling me this?
Charlotte: Because, I think that man was you!

Over and over again, the writers have said (and have had characters say) that one of the time-travel rules they follow is "you can't change what happens" either in the future or the past, but it seems to me that they keep breaking this rule. Jin met Rousseau in the past. Desmond changed the past (although we were told he is "special.") And now it looks like Faraday is changing events. First, he sends a virtual telegram to the Desmond of the future by talking to crazy-in-the-hatch-Desmond and making a new memory for him. Then it's implied that he goes to talk to Charlotte in the past to try and save her. I've asked this question once before and I'll ask it again - is Faraday "special" like Desmond, and the rules don't apply to him? I also noticed he hasn't gotten a nosebleed yet. Is that because he has a constant? Also, did you notice we received confirmation that Eloise (blond rifle girl from the Others) = Mrs. Hawking = Faraday's mother.

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Charlotte: Mummy never lets us have chocolate before dinner...

I wonder if my last thought before I die will be about chocolate... Even though we didn't really get to know Charlotte very well, I still felt really sad and teared up a little when she died. Although, we should know by now not to get too sad, because no one is ever really dead on this show. Either they show up in flashbacks, or as a formation of the smoke monster, or they resurrect (as Christian Shepard seems to have done, and, as I suspect, Locke is going to do in the near future). I know some people thought Charlotte was annoying, but I was interested in her, and still hope we get to find out more about her and her backstory later. Even if we don't see any more of her, the writers did gift her with one of the best and most chilling lines on the show ever... "This place is death!"

On a side note, I also had a bittersweet moment when we saw Rousseau's music box on the beach. It made me sad. I kinda miss her presence on the show. She brought an interesting counterpoint to the group dynamic. I also wonder about her crew and if we will see any more of their story or if that's it. She had said they'd gotten sick but obviously the story is a little more complicated than that. I wonder if Smokey had possessed them, and they were after Rousseau to bring her baby to the Others. Still not sure I understand all of that backstory.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Sawyer: Jin!!!
(tied with)
Ben: If you're going to shoot me, then let's go ahead and get it over with...

Again, if there were any funny moments last night, I can't seem to remember them, but the way Sawyer bounded over to Jin when he saw him and gave him a big bear-hug made me smile. Also, I'm not sure it was supposed to come across as humorous, but Ben losing his temper in the van reminded me of a parent threatening to "turn this car around" if their unruly kids don't behave and for a moment it was pretty funny. I have to hand it to the writer's again though, for letting Ben have a human moment of frustration. Everyone has been showing him distrust at every turn and constantly talking about how evil he is (in his presence) I'm not surprised that he finally got tired of it. If he was a one-dimensional evil villain on any other show, the writers wouldn't have had the presence of mind to write that scene.

Another solid episode, don't you think? I'm looking forward to our meeting with Mrs. Hawking next week. Until then, leave me a comment and let me know what some of your favorite moments were.

5 comments:

Laura said...

I loved the look on Desmond's face when he saw Mrs. Hawking. If I were him I would walk right up to her and punch her in the nose.

Looks like we finally know where The Temple is, but nothing about it or why there's a smoke monster protecting it. Curious...

Agreed, a VERY good episode.

D.L. White said...

Ah, I meant to mention The Temple... thanks for reminding me of it. Yeah, I wonder what the deal is with that place. The hieroglyphs on the outside looked Egyptian, and they looked like the same hieroglyphs that appeared on the countdown clock in the hatch when they let it go past 108 minutes.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, *great* episode!! i don't remember the "blond girl" eloise you mentioned...was she the one on last week's episode that took faraday out to the bomb? but yeah, i had suspected that the white haired lady was faraday's mom.

and what's up with jacob. IS jack's dad jacob? bc the first time locke "met" jacob, he apparently didn't have a body, right? maybe jacob just inhabited jack's dad's body? i'm totally confused by that whole thing.

and i liked charlotte, and thought that was really sad too...bc i really like faraday. :)

amber

D.L. White said...

Yep - Eloise was the girl that took Faraday out to the bomb and he said under his breath "you look so much like her". I also noticed that last night she still wears her hair in the same braid/bun as her younger self did.

I know - I'm confused about Jacob/Christian too. I think the island just takes on the forms of dead people - like when Yemmi appeared to Mr. Eko on the island. I always thought it was Smokey reading people's thoughts/ memories and then shapeshifting into whatever it saw. Like Kate's horse, etc. I think it will be hokey if Jack's dad is actually Jacob. I hope that's not the route they take.

I really really like Faraday too! :)

mikeo75 said...

See, I'm not sure that Faraday is actually changing anything at all. I mean, he supposedly tells Charlotte not to come back to the Island, but she obviously does anyways...he couldn't change it.

He may try...but...