Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 7, The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

Another week, and another solid episode from the LOST writers! Locke ended up back in a wheelchair, went on a speaking tour for the Oceanic 6, gave a shout-out to Walt, paid homage at Helen's grave (sniff) and managed to work in a little resurrection on the side. I loved the scene with Locke and Walt. Loved it that Walt was having premonitions of what was going to happen to Locke once he got back on the island. If you think about it, we've been waiting a very long time to find out how Locke died. Last night we finally got our answer, and I wasn't the least bit surprised it was Ben. Evil little bug-eyed power-tripping freak! Let's get right to it and talk about our favorite moments from the evening...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

Locke: "My name is John Locke. The last thing I remember was dying..."
tied with
Widmore and Abbadon showing up at the Tunisia Portal

I had a feeling that Locke would be resurrected when he made it back to the island. The guy is like a Timex - takes a liking and keeps on ticking. His mother was hit by a car and he was born prematurely (survived it), he was pushed out the window of a skyscraper (survived it) and got shot in the gut by Ben (and survived it). And if he really is the "savior" of the island, it would make sense for him to sacrifice his life and be brought back to life after being dead for three days, just like Christ (I'd have to check the timeline on that, but I'm pretty sure he was dead for three days). He really is special! Check out Locke's character page on Lostpedia for a really cool overview of everything he's been through, and an excellent timeline of his encounters with Richard Alpert through the years.

I didn't expect Widmore or Abbadon to show up again. I wonder how Widmore figured out that one of the time jumping portals dumps out in Tunisia? This was the first time that I kind of, sort of, actually... liked... Widmore. Is he really the good guy? Abbadon's character was cool too. Too bad he was short lived. Last night he told Locke, "I'm just the driver." I want to go back and watch the episode where he was the orderly in the hospital pushing Locke around in the wheelchair. I'm almost certain he said the same thing to him then as well.

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Locke: "No... I'm not special... I failed..."

Locke's suicide scene was heartwrenching. His character has taken some interesting twists and turns. He started out as the creepy weird guy, until we saw his backstory ("Don't tell me what I can't do!") and then I really liked him a lot more. Then he got obsessed with the island and went into a really dark period where I really didn't like him. Locke is his own worst enemy sometimes (in his life in the real world and on the island). He doesn't care about anyone else, just the island, so any warm feelings I'd had for him were gone... until last night. Especially when they touched upon his backstory with Helen, and then Kate and Jack were so mean to him, I felt so sorry for Locke. He's such a messed up guy. I hope the writers redeem his character, like they have Charlie and some of the others. Even if he can't be happy, I hope they give him some peace. The suicide scene last night reminded me of exactly why Terry O'Quinn won the Emmy for his work on LOST. Dude has some serious acting skills!

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Caesar: How long have you been away?
Locke: Uh...the timeline would just confuse you...

This show was all serious business, so this was about the only funny line I remember. Although the scene with Hurley was funny too, when he thought Locke was just another ghost who'd come to visit him like Charlie and Mr. Eko.

Locke-centric episodes used to be frequent in the first couple of seasons, but not lately. So it was fun and interesting to have a show centered on him again. It's interesting that Locke is, in some ways, naive and susceptible to being "played" by con men (i.e. his not-father conning him out of a kidney) and last night he was conned by both Widmore and Ben (in my opinion). My biggest question after watching this show, is who's the good guy? What are Widmore and Ben’s true motives? Seems to me that both of them think they should be “ruling” on the island. Ben originally usurped Widmore and exiled him, and Widmore’s been trying to go back and reclaim his throne ever since. Then Ben discovered that Jacob “chose” Locke and spoke to him in the cabin, and has been threatened by Locke ever since, and has been sour that the island “chose” Locke as their leader. So, who is the real king of the island? Do Widmore and Ben really want to help Locke take his rightful place? Or are they all still vying for the crown?

I got chills when Widmore said there's a war coming. And if Locke isn't on he island when it happens, then the wrong side is going to win. I can't wait to see what the writers have in store for us next! Until next week, let's chat! Who do you think is the "good" guy? What are your thoughts on our new Nikki and Paolo? (i.e. Caesar and Ilana) Will Walt ever go back to the island? Why did the Oceanic 6 get purple-light-beamed onto the island while the rest of the plane just crashed? Are you happy to hear that we'll get to see more of Lapidus? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

10 comments:

chandy said...

Who did Lapides run off with? And why did he swipe the passenger manifest and high-tail it in the middle of the night?

D.L. White said...

I'm thinking Lapidus ran off with Sun? It's the only "female" of the Oceanic 6 that we haven't seen yet. I have no clue why they took the manifest...

I just had a thought... I wonder of Caesar and Ilana are Widmore's people?

monkeyboticus said...

I can't remember where I said it (may have been here), but I didn't expect to be right so soon. Our Losties are now the Others, and there is a fresh batch of plane crash victims.

shouldn't Sun have "flashed" with the rest of them? She and Sayid should be somewhere in the 70's with Jack, Kate and Hugo.

Ack Attack is also now referencing Lost as at least a partial re-imagining of Narnia.

Laura said...

I agree, Locke has been one of the characters that teeter-tottered from hate to like for me over the history of the whole show. I think I've had difficulty liking him in the past because he seemed weak... and only cared about himself and his "mission" but last night I thought he really had some serious heart felt emotion for the Oceanic 6 and Walt (something I don't think Locke had really done in the past). Oh, don't forget he survived the plane crash in addition to all the other stuff you mentioned!

I also think Caesar and that chick that was with Sayid are working with Widmore. I don't know why I think that, just a feeling I guess.

It was a great episode. I can't wait till next week!

D.L. White said...

Oh my goodness David - you're right! The Oceanic 6 is in a different TIME than the plane crash. The Oceanic 6 are now in the 70's, and the plane crash is in the current day.

Hmmm... so that shoots a hole in my theory it's Sun. I wonder who the woman was that Lapidus ran off with? An airline stewardess? The co-pilot? An Other?

The Losties have become Others (compared to the new losties from the new crash). What an interesting layer of complexity. And yes - I think you posted that here somewhere a while ago.

@ Laura - you're right - it's the first time Locke showed emotion and concern for someone else. Even when Boone died (and it was kinda Locke's fault) he was somewhat emotionless about his death, saying it was "a sacrifice the island demanded". He's been pretty selfish and obsessed.

Anonymous said...

ooh i hadn't considered that Caesar and that other girl might be widmore's people! interesting...

yeah, i thought the original losties had to be in the 70s. i think Lapidus ran off to find them...but of course he won't since they're in a different time. i agree, i think Sun & Sayid are in the 70s too but they just haven't met up w/ the Jack, Kate, and Hurley yet.

but. Locke and Ben obviously crashed w/ the rest of the (new) plane crash victims. so, the only ones "beamed" back to the 70s were the ones who left the island in the conventional way (not the crazy spinning wheel way). and ben was clearly lying about not being able to go back. SOOO....if bringing everyone back was suppose to stop the flashes...how will ben & locke ever meet up w/ the others? lots of questions still to be answered. :)

amber

D.L. White said...

lol - It's getting harder and harder to keep talking about this show in a coherent way! I totally followed your comments, Amber, and thought it was funny I could! (crazy spinning wheel thingie)

Hmmm... good question!!! Will Ben and Locke ever be able to jump in time again and be reunited with the Oceanic 6? And will the Oceanic 6 AND the other Losties ever escape the 70's?

Laura said...

Ack Attack reminded me that since Ben asked for his "weapon" before he turned the donkey wheel he must have known that Widmore was watching the exit station in Tunisia and would try to kill him when he showed up.

It's so hard for me to keep all these little story pieces straight... I'm glad your blog (and Lostpedia) are there to help! :P

Laura said...

Oh oh oh! I just read on Lostpedia that Ajira flight 316 crash landed on the second island which is why the survivors are at the hydra station. Maybe everyone is in 1970 and the Losties are on the "other" island!

I seriously don't know... it's just a guess. This show makes me crazy!

D.L. White said...

Yeah, I had read somewhere online that observation - that the flight 316 survivors are on "Alcatraz" the smaller island, looking over at the bigger island. That's why the outrigger boats were there too - must have been what the Others used to go back and forth.