Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 10, He's Our You)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

Last night we learned how to fix chicken dinner the hard way, met a hoochie-mama bounty hunter, saw the ramifications of a simple sandwich delivery, dropped some LSD...err... I mean truth serum... and, oh yeah, SAYID KILLED LITTLE BEN!!! Let's get to the discussion! First item on the list...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

SAYID SHOOTS LITTLE BEN!!!

Uh...hello! Didn't see that one coming! Total shocker! I guess Sayid was right... the last thing he said to Ben (on the pier, before the plane trip back to the island) as he walked away was: "If I ever see you again, it will be extremely unpleasant for both of us." He was true to his word! Why did Sayid think that his purpose for coming back to the island was to kill Ben? Does he think that will stop all the killing and loss of life Ben causes in the future? What is he going to do now that he's escaped and Ben is dead? Go live in the jungle by himself and slowly go crazy like Rousseau? Join the Others? Try to find a way home?

What about Ben? Did the Benry we know and love...err hate... disappear in the present day? Will the Purge still happen even though Ben's dead? Will the Losties' memories of Benry be erased? And what about Faraday's/Hawking's rule that you can't change the events in time; that the universe will course correct? How do you course correct something as final as a death? Then again, death didn't stop Locke. Maybe the island will resurrect Ben? Maybe he isn't all the way dead, but just mostly dead... Argh! The questions! And you know Damon & Lindeloff are going to wait an episode or two and let us suffer before they come back and address this plot thread. Oh, the exquisite torture of being a fan of this show!

In the past when watching this show, my friend Raven and I held to a motto that "Sayid's instincts are always right". He knew when people were lying before anyone else did, he could assess situations and find the best course of action, etc. I just hope that little motto still holds true... and that Sayid did the right thing. Ben is one of the greatest villains of all time and I hate his character to bits, but I don't know if killing Little Ben was the right course of action...

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Sayid: Do you work for that man? He is a liar, a manipulator and a monster!
Ilana: Why would anyone work for a man like that?
Sayid: I did...
Tied with
Sayid: You were right about me. I am a killer.

When Sayid was in the airport with Ilana and saw who was going to be on the plane with him... the dawning realization and dread that crossed over his face... And later, when he told Little Ben he was right, that he is a natural born killer... the anguish on his face... wow... that was just some great acting on Naveen Andrew's part.

I was really grateful that tonight's episode was a Sayid-centric episode. I had forgotten how much I'd liked him, how much I'd rooted for him to get over his past, how much I want him to be happy. I want every one of these characters to redeem their past, to come full circle... I want them all to have a "Charlie Moment". Charlie overcame his drugs, overcame his dysfunctional past with his family, got past some other ugly selfish behaviors, rose to the occasion and sacrificed himself for others - a selfless act of love. I want every one of these characters that I care so much about to have a "Not Penny's Boat" moment... that moment where you are in awe of the victory they have won over their own "FATE". Originally, that seemed to be the heart of this show - redemption and victory over circumstances and fate.

Unfortunately, it seems like the brief victory Sayid was able to enjoy, in finding Nadia and peace from his past, has been destroyed. Sayid was haunted enough, before Ben got to him, killed Nadia (I still think Ben is behind that) and played him into revenge killing Widmore's men. Sayid is in a very dark place right now... I was even worried that he was going to commit suicide at one point in last night's episode. Will he find peace? Can he over come his Destiny or Fate of being a killer? Will he have his "Not Penny's Boat" moment? I'm trying to have faith in the writers, and I'll continue to buckle up and go along for the ride, but I need some hope... and soon... because nothing is good right now...

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Sawyer: Three years, no vans on fire. You guys are here for one day...
Tied with
Hurley: They're, like, living together...not like roommates.
Tied with
Oldman: Maybe I should have only given him half a dropper-full...

Such clever writing in this episode, when Sayid was under the truth serum, that he answered truthfully about who he was, how he got there, etc. but didn't blow their cover. And it was written in a way that didn't feel like a cop-out by the writers. What a creative team! I wonder what the ramifications will be of Sayid's escape, and the fact that someone helped him escape. Methinks that peaceful little Dharmaville is going to get all shook up by this, and that the Losties' cover will be blown soon. What do you think? And please give me your answers on the dead Little Ben thing, because I need to be able to sleep tonight! ha ha My mind has been racing ever since the credits started rolling on last night's episode! Leave me a comment and let's discuss!

13 comments:

D.L. White said...

On a completely separate note that has absolutely nothing to do with last night's episode, Charlotte's age discrepancy (was she born in 1974 or 1979) has been resolved...

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/03/lost-exclusive.html

Short answer - it was simply a continuity error... not some secret LOST clue. With everything they have to keep track of, I'm not surprised that there aren't more errors... so I guess we should forgive them of this one, right?

Laura said...

I too thought Sayid was going to shoot himself after he shot Ben. And as we discussed last night, now that Ben is "dead" will he now be stuck as a 40-something man in the "future"? But we also know sometimes you don't stay dead on the island... Christian, Locke, and possibly Richard. Maybe something happened to Locke's timeline since Sayid killed Ben and that's why Locke is alive in the future (since Ben killed Locke and now Ben's dead...)? Does that make any sense?

D.L. White said...

I like the idea of your future self being stuck in time (i.e. not aging) because your past self was killed. That would maybe explain why Richard never ages...

Interesting idea - that Locke and Ben's lifelines might be interconnected...

How about that evil Ben, when he was telling Sayid that Locke was dead. "I don't know what happened. Someone killed him..." Ugh! What a conniving liar!!!

D.L. White said...

Another great line from this episode...

Sawyer: "How you feelin'?"
Sayid: "I was just fed lunch by a 12-year-old Benjamin Linus. How do you think I feel?"

chandy said...

I'm betting on not dead...
Maybe he's like Patchy, and can just keep on tickin' no matter what happens to him.

Besides, it seems to be the only way my head can handle understanding this craziness!

Laura said...

Here's another thought, what if Ileana (sp?) IS working for Widmore as she only said she was hired by the family of one of Sayid's victims. Charles Widmore is an Other so maybe they think of themselves as one big happy family. Plus the confrontation Ben had in Charles bedroom (where they exchanged death threats against offspring) may still be motivating them to act.

Jessie said...

I don't think Ben is dead. But he is struggling for his life over in the other island's makeshift-infirmary. So I'm thinking maybe that's why Ben's struggling. He was shot as a youngster, and will have to heal and then will be alive and walking around in the present.

Does that make sense? Somehow it made more sense last night. Probably not now. But last night's episode was superb. I love Sayid and think Andrew's acting is out of this world!

Laura said...

I didn't know there's a blog area on Lostpedia... how long has that been there?! Here's a post I found interesting including an interview with Lindeloff/Cuse about time travel and course correcting:

There is only one Timeline.

(I'm adding this comment again, the first time I tried the comment section cut off part of the site address... sorry)

Laura said...

Ummmm..... wow.

Faraday's Journal

Laura said...

Thanks for having your weekly LOST blog, I've got some more info to dump on ya!

I remembered that Mrs Hawking told Ben that all of the Oceanic 6 had to go back to the island or "God help us all". Since Aaron wasn't on the plane, I wonder if that's why Sun didn't time jump to 1977? Or maybe because Ben WAS on the plane it screwed things up since he had said he couldn't ever go back.

kathleen said...

My theory, little Ben is not dead, he is just shot. There is no proof he died yet. Besides, there is an excellent Dr on the island, Jack, who I think will fix Ben right up, therefore the time line is unchanged. Perhaps Big Ben's treatment of Sayid is because he remembers how he shot him as a boy. That must be pretty tramatic I would asume.

Shawn White said...

So I have been thinking about the Sayid/Ben shooting since I saw it. My brain is fat and slow (much like the rest of me) so it took me awhile to arrive at this idea, but perhaps what Sayid shot Ben with was a rubber bullet. Those are designed to only incapacitate, but not to kill. They can break skin and rarely do they result in death.

Rubber bullet technology has been around since the late 1960's and the UK began using them in riot situations around 1972. So it is very possible that Dharma had them in supply during their "time" in the 70's.

Now my justification for thinking they are rubber bullets and not real is the truce between the Dharmians and the Hostiles. They want to take care to protect themselves from one another, but not to kill anyone from the other group, thus breaking their truce. It makes sense that they would have the type of weaponry that would be useful for protection but lack lethality.

Laurie B said...

Thanks, Laura for the "There's Only One Timeline" post. I guess that answers the question of Ben being alive in the present.

Remember back a million episodes ago when Sayid found the hidden room in Ben's house that had the money, passports and clothes? It seems like I remember him NOT sharing this info with anyone else. The only reason to have that stuff was for travel off the island. How was Ben leaving the island? By submarine, turning the wheel, or did he have a quicker way that allowed him to also travel through time? Was there a time machine I have forgotten about? Turning the wheel causes the island to jump. I can't imagine that being how he was leaving the island. Although Widmore placed the camera in Tunisia to see who and when someone jumped. He must have been looking for Ben.

My brain is foggy and I don't have the earlier seasons on disk (yet) to refer to for the answers to my questions.