Pages

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 8, LaFleur)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!

I know I say this every week, but these LOST posts are getting exponentially harder and harder to write.  There's so much to talk about, and each week the format of the show seems to change.  Time displacement is the only constant. (Pun intended!)  I love how this episode just shifted back and forth between a three year time period:  when the island Losties joined the Dharma Initiative in 1974 and then three years later (1977) when the Oceanic 6 return (from 2008). Still following? :-P I'm going to sound totally geeky saying this, but this episode reminded me of sci-fi stories and movies, where one person leaves Earth and travels through space in suspended animation.  Even though they've only been gone for a couple of years, it's been a lifetime on Earth and when they get back the realize everyone they've known has moved on or is dead.  

It was interesting to see how the remaining Losties resigned themselves to their fate and integrated themselves into the Dharma group.  It was also pretty cool to learn more about the Dharma Initiative and how they had a peace pact with the Others.  Their history is always referred to in cryptic ways (usually by Juliette or Ben), so it's always nice to see for ourselves how things were.  Did you piece it together that this was the time before Ben grew up, and turned on Dharma and murdered them all for the Others.  I wonder if elementary school Ben is somewhere on the island with his deadbeat dad...  interesting...

So, Juliette is a mechanic (who delivers babies when no one is looking), Sawyer has gotten all respectable and is now head of Dharma security, and Daniel has lost a few marbles after the death of Charlotte.  Michelle from "24" lives again, and how weird was it to see Jin speaking reasonably perfect English?  Let's get right to it and talk about our favorite moments from the evening...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

The Statue!

Again, it's hard to pick "the" most shocking moment of the night, since almost every five or ten minutes in the show there is a shocking moment.  However, I think hands-down tonight I was completely surprised to see the four-toed statue in its complete form.  I wonder how it gets destroyed?  Who built it?  What does the front of it look like?  Did the Others worship it?  I hate to admit it, but I thought the four-toed statue/foot was just a weird little red herring the creators threw in for fun.  I never expected them to ever explain it or come back to it.  Oh ye of little faith!  I should have known better... I now suspect that we will in fact get the story behind it.

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Dan seeing little Charlotte
Tied with 
Horus saying, "Is three years long enough to get over someone?"

Poor Daniel.  He accidentally fried Theresa's brain at Oxford with his experiments, and then his attempts to protect Charlotte from the island's time-jumping failed.  I really felt bad for him when he was mourning Charlotte's death (and he couldn't even give her a proper burial because they time-jumped and her body didn't go with them).  But when he looked up and saw the little girl Charlotte, happy and alive... ugh... the pain on his face... it broke my heart.  I wonder if he's going to try again to warn the little girl Charlotte to not come back (as Charlotte "remembered" before she died) or if he's going to try a different tactic to change time and events?

Sawyer's discussion with Horus, about moving on after lost loves was very poignant and touching.  He seems happy enough with Juliette, but is it a relationship of convenience?  Does he still carry a torch for Kate?  More on that in a minute...

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Sawyer:  "You think this isn't going to get out?  It'll be on the coconut telegraph by breakfast."

We can always count on Sawyer to have a funny quip or line.  However, the best line of the night was Daniel: "The record is spinning again.  We're just not on the song we want to be on."

Sawyer's character arc has gone in an interesting and somewhat unexpected direction.  I've never really liked him, from the first time he was hoarding medicine and wouldn't give it up (or at least fess up that he didn't have it) when Shannon was practically dying of an asthma attack to the big con he pulled on the camp to get all the guns.  I always felt like he was a cruel, selfish jerk.  I had some sympathy for him, when we saw his backstory about the man killing his dad, but really this is the first time I've actually kinda sorta liked Sawyer.  

Interesting that once he killed Sawyer the con-man who killed his father, and made peace with his past, it freed him to step up and be a good guy.  It's like he reformed.  Now he's acting like a hero, trying to protect the others, being a leader.  I thought it was interesting that Miles asked, "Who put him in charge?"  Funny, some of the Losties asked that about Jack in season 1.  I don't know what to think about Sawyer convincing Juliette to stay, and then hooking up with her later.  It seems to all be out of convenience and loneliness.  And now Kate and Jack are back, and the love quadrangle is in full swing again.  What do you think?  Leave me a comment and let me know - we have A LOT to talk about!

20 comments:

D.L. White said...

Two things I forgot to mention - I loved seeing Richard Alpert again. I find him so interesting! And love it that Sawyer referred to the ongoing joke about his "guyliner". :P

Also, I find it interesting that the Oceanic 6 spent the three years perpetuating a lie/cover-up, while meanwhile, the Losties where also perpetuating a lie to protect themselves during those three years as well. Lots of lying going on!

D.L. White said...

Okay, one more thing and then I'm off to bed for the evening...

I'm kind of a mythology buff - Greek, Egyptian, etc. And the necklace that Paul(?) was wearing that Michelle from "24" took off him is an Egyptian Ankh, which was their symbol or hieroglyph for eternal life.

Upon closer inspection of the screen capture of the statue, it looks like it's holding an ankh in each hand.

Hmmmm......

D.L. White said...

I keep looking at the screen capture of the statue. I'm pretty sure it's an Egyptian god... maybe Anubis (God of the Dead/Underworld).

Horus - he is actually named after an Egyptian god - Horus, the God of Creation.

And there were Egyptian hieroglyphs on the numbers in the hatch, when they failed to push the buttons and the numbers all flipped to red.

What in the world is going on with this show!?!?

Laura said...

I totally called the statue before they showed us what they were looking at. Something about how they were all looking "up" made me say "they're looking at the four-toed statue!" I thought it looked Babylonian/Assyrian from the back, but Egyptian is right there in the same time frame and makes sense with all the hieroglyphics in the hatch.

I was actually glad to see Sawyer and Juliette together, I think they make a much better couple than Sawyer and Kate. I'm not a Kate fan and so I think she and Jack are a good dysfunctional match.

I enjoyed this "romantic" episode and I agree that it was informative to get some of the backstory between The Dharma Initiative and The Hostiles.

I guess we can't ever write off anything we've seen on this show. We've seen Ana Lucia, maybe Libby and Dave will make a return. :P

D.L. White said...

@ Laura - I'm LOL at "good dysfunctional match".

You're right - no one is ever dead on this show! Horus keeps popping up. This is like his 3rd appearance. Who knows who else we'll see!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

I'm finding the ankh being a fertility symbol intriguing.

What if the statue "protected" the fertility of women on the island and when it was destroyed that started the issues with death in child-birth UNLESS you were somehow in possession of one.

When Horus asked permission from Amy for the Others to take Paul's body (what's up with that?!), Amy asked to be alone and took the necklace. Then when Horus found it three years later and put it in his pocket, Amy went into labor.

Ooo... maybe there's a key here! Maybe it's like a talisman. Or maybe it's got something to do with Richard never aging as the eternal life symbol.

Aaaaaa this show! I can't even make heads or tails EVER so why do I even try?

Laura said...

Oh yeah, how are we gonna wait TWO WEEKS for the next show?! No fair!

mikeo75 said...

The blogger JOpinionated wrote about the Egypt connection last night too. very interesting...not sure what it MEANS overall, just that Egyptians have been there before, or maybe Richard Alpert descends from them...who knows.

Great episode, loved the statue bit...loved all the good lines in this one by Sawyer.

I'm with you...I hope he sticks with Juliette, but it's going to be an interesting FOUR-WAY dynamic now :)

chandy said...

Now are you starting to see why I love Sawyer so much? He may have some "issues" that he obviously tries to cover up with sarcasm and a gruff exterior, but I think he is ultimately good, and WAY less self-centered than Jack. And I loved seeing him with Juliette, especially the scene where he begged her to stay. Who could turn that down? He just looked so serene and peaceful in his life on the island. I am actually disappointed that Kate is going to ruin things now.

And yeah, 2 weeks?!? What is that about? I thought the whole point of waiting to start the season until the end of Jan was so we could go straight through...

D.L. White said...

@Laura - thanks for continuing the Egyptian discussion. Interesting observations about the ankh and fertility.

@Mike - good comments. I'm anxious to find out if Richard is immortal or what. Speaking of Richard, how was it possible for him to walk through the sonic fence without getting his brain scrambled? It didn't even seem to phase him.

@Chandy - You think Jack is self-centered??? Hmmm...

chandy said...

I don’t think Jack’s totally selfish all the time, I just think he’s frequently more selfish than Sawyer.

It wasn’t Jack that jumped off of the helicopter to lighten the load…it was Sawyer.
It was Jack who couldn’t wait for Jin to get on the helicopter
Jack was more interested in his chances of hooking up with Kate than Aaron’s welfare…

He’s done some nice things and he tries to help the Losties, but I think he has some major pride issues. He loves the praise and attention that he gets from being the doctor/hero, probably because he never got it from his father, and of course the major theme of this show is…Daddy issues.

Sawyer has formed touching relationships with many characters and has risked his life to save them (I’m thinking of Claire, Aaron, Kate, etc.) I know he’s tough on the outside, but I’m telling you…inside, like butter.

Jessie said...

I am so bummed. DirecTV had a satellite malfunction at the very beginning and we missed the first 20 minutes. I might as well have come in from Mars for all the good it did me to try and watch it. Erik and I turned it off realizing how absolutely lost we were. (No pun intended!) But really, you miss a minute and you're gone!

I'm starting to experience some of the confusion the losties are! :)

D.L. White said...

@Jessie - the 20 minute black out happened to everyone in the Phoenix area - regardless of cable provider. They re-aired the show in its entirety at midnight. You can also watch the whole show for free on ABC.com. They'll probably re-run it next week too. I can't imagine how confusing it was without having seen the first 20 minutes.

@Chandra - Hmmm... Jack is by no means my favorite (in fact my favorite character is dead), but I feel like we are completely opposite in the way we view him and Sawyer. We already talked about this IRL, so I won't rehash it here (although I might have to write a compare and contrast blog post about Sawyer and Jack later). I find it interesting how each one of us takes something different from the show, notices different details. That's what makes this discussion and LOST community so much fun. I also think its interesting how each one of us brings our own personality and experiences to a work of fiction, and interprets it through that lens. (That might be another separate blog post too!)

monkeyboticus said...

This has nothing to do with the last episode, but Locke's mom and Ben's mom have the same first name. Oh no, I brought it up.

D.L. White said...

Ohhh noooo waaaay!!! I just confirmed it on Lostpedia... Both Ben and Locke's mothers were named Emily. Surely this can't be a coincidence!??! Was she one in the same person!?!? Emily had John when she was 16 in 1956, and gave him up for adoption/foster care. She could have gone on to meet Ben's dad and give birth to Ben in "the early 1960s" (according to Lostpedia). Why hasn't anyone noticed this before!?!? Kudos to you Z-man!!!

monkeyboticus said...

I had some help. Lisa's brother and brother-in-law are both huge Lost fans. We were watching all the episodes involving Horace on Saturday, and came across that nugget by accident.

That must mean that the woman claiming to be Locke's mom in the 90's was hired by his father to help secure the kidney donation.

Laura said...

About the "Emily" thing, I wondered if that was why Ben became the leader after Locke failed the test Richard Alpert gave him as a boy in foster care. Maybe Richard knew their leader was to have a mom named Emily and after striking out with Locke he just picked another kid with a mom of the same name.

That seems a lame reason for choosing Ben, unless he and Locke are BROTHERS. The fact that Locke's dad (the real Sawyer) was killed on the island by Locke may have something to do with this weird coincidence. Maybe that's how Ben got Locke's dad in the magic box, if he was his dad too Ben may have been keeping tabs on where he is.

So much speculation for just one hour of show a week...

D.L. White said...

I totally think Ben and Locke are half-brothers! I wonder how it ties in with the biblical references that have been on the show...remember the brainwashing slides said "God loves you as he loved Jacob." And Jacob had twin sons. (although Ben and Locke aren't twins)

Laura said...

Ah, maybe Ben tried to "steal" John's birthright as the leader of the Others! They do have an interesting dynamic.

Then there's the Cain-killed-Able thing with Ben killing John. Wow, I could go on and on and on and on...