Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 13, Some Like It Hoth)

If you haven’t seen this week’s episode of LOST yet…
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren’t warned. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk LOST!*

On last night's episode, we learned that you're not a character on LOST if you don't have daddy issues! It was a Miles-centric episode, which means this is the first time we had a flashback that focused on one of the freighter folk. I've been dying to know Miles' story since we first knew he was a ghostbuster. Ghosts and the whole "I talk to dead people," thing interests my morbid little sensibilities, so I was pleased with this show.

Now we know Miles' personal reasons for wanting to get to the island (although I don't think it was a surprise to any of us that he ended up being Dr. Chang's son). I find it interesting that Miles is unashamedly driven by money and can be bought. Was it because he grew up in a single family home and they never had enough money?

Regardless of my interest of Miles' backstory, I still felt like Hurley owned this episode. He had a lot of lines and was more of a central character (than the supporting character role he typically plays when sharing the screen with Jack, Kate, etc.) Let's talk about some favorite moments...

I thought this was the most shocking event of the night:

Ilana and Bram don't work for Widmore!

It was hard to find a shocking moment this evening. Based on the things Bram was saying to Miles in the van, it was implied that they don't work for Widmore. Does that mean they work for Ben? Or maybe they work for Jacob/Richard? I didn't think Jacob or Richard had any doings off-island. Then again, Richard did recruit Juliet. What is Bram and Ilana's purpose on the island? What's in the silver cargo box?

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

The adult Miles looks through the window to see his father holding him as a baby.

How could you not watch that scene without getting a little teary-eyed? Here's a question for you - Did Dr. Chang kick his wife and son off the island because he discovered the adult Miles was there, and was afraid of ripping apart the space/time continuum, because of the Self-Preservation Effect/Theory, that two versions of one person can't occupy the same time/space? (Credit goes to my husband for coming up with that theory.) Or does he send them away when the accident happens when building the Swan? Dr. Chang does seem like a colossal jerk. Maybe he just becomes consumed with his work on the island and sends them away because they are a distraction?

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Miles: What happened to him?
Dharma Worker: He fell into a ditch.
Miles: Is that a gunshot? Did the ditch have a gun?

Hurley had a lot of funny lines as he always does, and I always end up quoting him in the blog, so this time I thought I'd quote Miles, and then leave it up to you to post your favorite Hurley lines in the comments. ;)

How creepy and foreboding was it that Hurley got to see the numbers being imprinted onto the hatch? Nice touch. Now we know that the Swan is being built in what is considered hostile territory. What do you think about Miles going back and telling the father of the deceased football player that he'd lied to him? Did you think it was the right thing to do? I wonder what's going to happen to the Oceanic 6 and all - their cover stories within Dharma are quickly unraveling. I asked this a couple weeks ago, and I'll ask it again, since when did Kate become such a terrible liar? Has being a mom made her soft and compromised her (at least as far as kids are concerned)? How is Sawyer going to handle the situation with Phil and the condemning video tape? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. We don't have much time to talk - LOST is tomorrow! :)

* Thanks to all of you who have been praying for my brother, and thanks for being patient with me getting this LOST post done. It's kinda been a crazy few days...

2 comments:

Laura said...

I agree, the Miles back story was interesting and well done. The money figure he used to try blackmail on Ben now makes sense.

Hurley was adorable, I loved the Empire Strikes Back script reference. Pretty smart to be trying to write that one!

I didn't know it was Daniel in the sub so that was my most surprising moment.

Great episode... too bad this week is a recap show.

Laurie B said...

I remember, way back when, when we saw Richard going to visit with Locke when he was very young. This means he did leave the island more than once because he visited Juliet to recruit her, many years later but seemingly no older.

I think Dr. Chang is going to send Miles and his mother away after the accident that causes him to lose his arm. Remember, we've seen him with a prosthetic arm in at least one Dharma training video? Either they'll be sent away to keep them safe or maybe she'll take him away in fear for their lives.

Hurley was hilarious as usual. We really need him for comic relief.

I'm glad for the recap show last night because I tend to forget things. My question is....which came first? Did Ilana tell Sayid she was taking him to Guam, or did Mrs. Hawking tell them they needed to be on the plane for Guam? If it was Ilana first, then it might have been Mrs. Hawking who hired Ilana to get Sayid on that plane. I don't think it was Ben because he was with Ilana after the crash and didn't seem to know her. I guess he could have been pretending but it seems like Ben is in unknown territory now. He really doesn't seem to know what to expect.