Pages

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Let's get LOST! (Episode 15, Follow the Leader)

If you haven't seen this week's episode of LOST yet...
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren't warned. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's talk LOST!

Once again, LOST has left me...well... at a loss for words. Tonight's show wasn't "centric" on any one character really. Although I suppose you could argue it was Locke-centric, especially with the title "Follow the Leader". (Who is the true leader? Locke? Ben? Richard? Jack? Sawyer? Our little band of losties is so fragmented now...) However, I think this show was more of a prelude or a set-up to everything that is going to take place next week. I have absolutely no clue how they are going to wrap up this season, let alone what they are going to do for the final season. This is not a complaint, mind you. I am giddy with the not knowing! Until then, let's try to talk about this week's episode...

I thought this was the most shocking moment of the night:
Ben: Then why are we going to see Jacob?
Locke: So I can kill him.

Uh... I think the expression on my face pretty much looked like Ben's face. Say what?!? Why does Locke want to kill Jacob? It seems like Locke is taking directions from "The Island." I thought Jacob and "The Island" were one in the same thing. Is "The Island" a different entity than Jacob? Do they not work in tandem? Will Jacob look like Christian Shepard or will he take on a new form? More importantly, will Locke be successful in killing him? What ramifications will it have? Is Locke trying to free his people? Argh! Leave it to LOST to instigate a dozen burning questions with just one line of dialog!

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:
Jack: All the misery we've been through, it would just wipe it clean. It would've never happened.
Kate: It was NOT all misery.
Jack: Enough of it was...

In those few lines, I was immediately reminded of all the things Jack has been through. His sweetly blossoming romance with Kate in those early episodes, which later turned into a dark co-dependant unhealthy nightmare once they were back home. The losties have been through so much. In some ways, I'm with Jack. I want to wipe out some of this crazy stuff and go back to that time on the show when things weren't so complicated. When the LOST writers could spend more time on the characters and how they've grown, changed, found redemption for their pasts, and learned to trust each other. Since that time, several of the character arcs have gone off the rails and taken a turn in to crazytown.

I'd like the LOST writers to get back on target with the core of the characters, and have that drive the plot, instead of this time travel plot device nonsense. It was cool at first, but all the time travel physics is starting to really hurt my head and is wearing on me. Plus, I must admit, I have a concern that the novelty of the time travel plot line will overshadow the heart of the show (if it hasn't already) and negate any free will the characters may have and destroy any meaning their actions may hold. If they are slaves to destiny, then nothing matters. They are just puppets. Not sure I like that. (Living Deadman - you gotta jump in here! You know I totally set you up for a philosophical discussion just now!) Although, this show has always played with the ideas of fate vs. free will, faith vs. science. I guess I'm just hoping they come down definitively at some point on how their LOST universe operates. On which side?

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night.
(After Dr. Chang grills Hurley on 1977 facts...)
Hurley: Alright, dude. We're from the future.

Despite my earlier complaints above, I'm still fully committed to seeing this show through to the end. But I will keep espousing my desires, in hopes that the LOST writers happen to be trolling the blogoshpere and see them. (Not likely, I know, but a fan can dream, right?) I keep trying to trust in the writers, since they've never let me down or disappointed me in the past, with the plotlines that I really cared about (i.e. Charlie, Desmond & Penny, Sayid).

For now, let's ponder on these remaining thoughts from this episode. Eloise shot her adult son, while being pregnant with that yet unborn son. How creepy is that? And what about Richard's statement that he remembered the Oceanic 6 in the recruitment photo because "he watched them all die". What does that mean? And we received some subtle confirmation of what we already knew, that Richard is some kind of immortal being. Have you noticed that Sun has become the new Michael? Michael spent two seasons yelling out one line of dialog over and over again, "WAAAAALT!" Now, Sun has been relegated to saying, "Do you know how to find my husband, Jin?" to anyone who will listen to her. Will her and Jin and their baby ever be reunited? Oh, and by the way, where is Claire? Did Kate forget that was her reason for going back to the island, to find her?

Next week will be bittersweet; it will be the season finale, which is always sad, but the season finales are always filled with awesome revelations, shocking moments and usually some good action scenes. The finales have always been satisfying, even if they've left us on a cliffhanger until the next season. I'll be making a cake to celebrate; I'll try to remember to post pictures with my finale blog post. Until then, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Did you like tonight's show? What are you hoping to see in the finale?

6 comments:

Laura said...

The pace of this particular episode was very quick and moved right along... like it was plunging headlong into the season ender next week.

I'm diggin' Locke's new character. He seems to have a defined direction and isn't the sad, confused, desperate man we saw pining over Helen, working for a box company and being declined his walkabout in the first season. Even when Locke had his "mission" to push the button, he didn't seem convinced of his purpose as he does now (or did last night). Fantastic acting by Mr. O'Quinn IMO.

I think Locke may me my new fave for the summer, I like my characters well defined. Sawyer has lost his gritty edge and is too soft to be interesting with this current story line. I guess that's what domestic bliss does to a con-man.

D.L. White said...

Excellent point about Locke's character development. I concur. He really was very interesting last night! He's definitely come into his own.

LOL @ your assessment of Sawyer. I think you're right on target with that one too. But hey, you can't be a con man forever, right? Doesn't everyone deserve to be happy? (Hmmm... that's actually an interesting question in regards to LOST...)

monkeyboticus said...

D said "I'd like the LOST writers to get back on target with the core of the characters, and have that drive the plot, instead of this time travel plot device nonsense. It was cool at first, but all the time travel physics is starting to really hurt my head and is wearing on me. Plus, I must admit, I have a concern that the novelty of the time travel plot line will overshadow the heart of the show (if it hasn't already) and negate any free will the characters may have and destroy any meaning their actions may hold."

This was my point from last week. Only stated better. : ) I think the Fonze is up on the skis and heading for the ramp. I hope he wipes out before he gets there.

D.L. White said...

@monkeyboticus - Yeah, I think you and I are on the same page. I'm really trying to have faith that the writers are going to be able to pull it off. But I'm like you - I think I can see Fonzie in the distance... and a Dharma shark circling the tank...

Here's an interesting tidbit I read on another blog:
"The bomb is buried under Dharmaville. Maybe that's why all of the women can't have children. If the bomb was leaking radiation that would be good cause for the infertility."

Laurie B said...

When Locke said he was going to kill Jacob, maybe he meant he was going to expose him. If he isn't some magical, mystical controller of the island, then exposing him for what he really is would take away the mystery and kill him in a sense. I love how shocked Ben was by Locke saying he was going to kill Jacob. I think Ben has come to respect for Locke and his new position as leader. Did Ben know Locke would come back to life on the island? I don't think so and wonder if Ben knows anything about Christian. Has he ever spoken of him?

I keep thinking about the wispering that we hear from time to time. It's as if there are people watching the whole island from behind some sort of two way glass but we can hear them wispering as they comment to each other about how the players are reacting to situations.

I still want to know why certain people died and then came back to life when they returned to the island. Did Christian also have to die so he could return to the island? Now he's in the shadows with Jacob and Claire. Is Christian really Jacob? Was he on the island before?

D.L. White said...

@Laurie B - good catch about the whispering! That's another mystery yet to be explained! I like your explanation of it.