Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

13 Days of Halloween - More Lessons Learned


Hello, Faithful Readers! I apologize for not living up to my promise to do another 13 days of Halloween this year. Life happens, and unfortunately, the blog sometimes has to take a backseat. Even though I was unable to do all 13 posts, the good news is I think I can squeeze in one tonight!

For those of you who don't already know, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I thought I'd share another quick list of helpful things I've learned from Halloweens past. I'll summarize my list from last year, then continue it. If you'd like to read the breakdown of items 1 thru 8, you can read it here.

THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM PAST HALLOWEENS

1. Temporary hair color isn't necessarily temporary.

2. If your costume comes with an explanation, you'll be better off finding another costume.

3. Never ever go first into the haunted house.

4. Wigs are itchy.

5. If the candy looks like it was made in the 70s, it probably was.

6. No one has the patience (or appreciation) for black and white horror movies.

7. Carving pumpkins isn't nearly as fun as it looks.

8. This tip is for all the kids... HIDE YOUR CANDY BAG!

9. If you've started a new job, ask around and make sure people dress up on Halloween BEFORE you decide to show up in costume.
There is nothing more embarrassing than showing up to work dressed as an evil witch with full-on face make-up and pointy hat, only to discover that your straight-laced uptight co-workers don't "do" Halloween. Well... I would imagine it would be. I mean, I would have never done that. Ahem...

10. If Halloween falls on a Friday or Saturday night, don't expect as many trick-or-treaters.
This may not be true for your neighborhood, but I've noticed that when Halloween falls on a weekend, instead of going trick-or-treating, people go to parties and such. In fact, each year, I've noticed a general decline in door-to-door trick or treating. This is probably because more people are participating in Trunk or Treat and other safer alternatives. Makes me kind of sad and nostalgic for the good old days, when neighbors all knew and trusted each other and you didn't have to worry about all the awful things parents worry about now days.

11. Fake blood stains EVERYTHING.
The label on the tube might say it's washable, but I have yet to find fake blood that doesn't stain your hands, stain your clothes, stain the countertop... So just use it wisely, keeping this in mind.

12. If you want a unique costume, check out Goodwill.
Most women are concerned about showing up to a party where someone else is wearing the same dress - a horrible faux pas. However, I'm always concerned about buying a pre-made packaged costume, for fear that there will be three other female vampires at the Halloween party, all with the same get-up. And I don't sew, which means I utilize Goodwill for creating my costume. One year I scored a lovely paisly headscarf, peasant top, old ratty crocheted shaw with fringe, and a really cool patterned, volumous skirt - I added a curly black wig and some big hoop earrings and was a pretty convincing gypsy fortune teller. I carried around a snow globe and would give it a good shake and forcast the weather. "Looks like snow tomorrow..." :)

13. Don't be THAT house.
You know, the one house on the street that passes out pennies or toothbrushes or pencils. If you don't have any candy, just shut the door and turn out the porch light. Word travels fast on the trick-or-treat streets about bummer houses, so you won't end up getting many visitors to your house anyway. The one exception I will make for this rule would be stickers or temporary tattoos, but only if they are really really good ones. ;)

14. There are lots of different kinds of horror movies - find out which ones your crew likes before you fire up the DVD player.
This could be an expansion or off-shoot of item #6. There are the thrillers (Rear Window), the gore-fests (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), the monster movies (American Werewolf in London), and the dark atmosphere type films (Sleepy Hollow) and the psychological thriller (Session 9). There's even the horror action flick (Alien) and humor horror (Shaun of the Dead). Find out where your viewing audience's preferences fall on the horror spectrum. It might turn out the most they can handle is It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. And that's okay. Be courteous, and don't give your Halloween party guests nightmares... unless of course, they want to have nightmares... bwah ha ha. :P

To read all 13 posts in last year's 13 Days of Halloween, just click here. Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing these, Shona and I are outside handing out candy (no tricks on our house!) and we're reading and laughing... where else can you sit outside in shirtsleeves and watch kids walk up your street. Love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for this list. I am with you on the nostalgia for halloweens past. They end trick or treating at dusk here! It just seems wrong.

D.L. White said...

@Laura - Isn't it nice out tonight? I feel bad for the kids in the colder climates who have to wear their costumes underneath snowsuits. :(

@Chad - at dusk?!?! Really?!?! That's just sad. How do you appreciate the glow of a good jack-o-lantern without it being dark?