Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Musical Interlude - U2

Today should be the start of my 13 days of Halloween here on my blog, but since it's Musical Interlude Monday, and since I'm attending the U2 concert tomorrow night, (YES!!!) I've decided to break protocol and share a little music from our boys from Dublin.

I will admit, I was a little late to the U2 party. When they were hitting it big with "The Joshua Tree" album, I just didn't get them or their music. I suppose I should mention that they were hitting it big around the same time in my life when I was listening strictly to do-whop and oldies music. (I was a weird kid.) So I just wasn't listening to mainstream radio period. Flashforward a few years, and I guess my listening ears had matured enough to appreciate them. I've grown to love them more and more ever since.

Here's my favorite song by U2, called "Stay (Far Away, So Close)" from their Zooropa album. I love this song because of the word pictures the lyrics invoke, combined with the music. It really paints an image in my mind. And the metaphors or language chosen for the lyrics seems so simple but at the same time is so complex. Bono is a genius at turning a phrase. I also love how the song starts out so quiet and intimate, and then it grows in power and intensity and Bono's voice just breaks through and soars on the choruses. There are better songs in their catalog (especially ones that showcase the Edge's amazing talent more), but I guess this song just hits me in the right spot. I can empathize or relate to the desperation and longing in the song. It vividly reminds me of a certain time in my life... pretty cool, when music does that!

You Tube won't let me embed the video, so just click on the picture below and it will launch the You Tube video in a new window.

Stay (Far Away, So Close)
by U2
Green light, Seven Eleven
You stop in for a pack of cigarettes
You don't smoke, don't even want to
Hey now, check your change
Dressed up like a car crash
Your wheels are turning but you're upside down
You say when he hits you, you don't mind
Because when he hurts you, you feel alive
Hey babe, is that what it is

Red light, gray morning
You stumble out of a hole in the ground
A vampire or a victim
It depend's on who's around
You used to stay in to watch the adverts
You could lip synch to the talk shows

And if you look, you look through me
And when you talk, you talk at me
And when I touch you, you don't feel a thing

If I could stay...
Then the night would give you up
Stay...and the day would keep its trust
Stay...and the night would be enough

Faraway, so close
Up with the static and the radio
With satellite television
You can go anywhere
Miami, New Orleans
London, Belfast and Berlin

And if you listen I can't call
And if you jump, you just might fall
And if you shout, I'll only hear you

If I could stay...
Then the night would give you up
Stay...then the day would keep its trust
Stay...with the demons you drowned
Stay...with the spirit I found
Stay...and the night would be enough

Three o'clock in the morning
It's quiet and there's no one around
Just the bang and the clatter
As an angel runs to ground

Just the bang
And the clatter
As an angel
Hits the ground

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, my friend. You know how I feel about U2... I can't say more about that.

I will say, however, that YOU (and your hubby) are the best friends in the world for taking us along with you to the concert. I don't think it's possible to express how grateful we are... and that I get to share this experience with such amazing people like you is just the icing on the cake that will be tomorrow.

D.L. White said...

Awww... thanks for coming with us! We are in dire need of a fun night out! Sharing this experience with good friends makes it all the more special. :)

chandy said...

So I was going to start leaving you a comment, but then I realized I actually had enough to say about the awesomeness that is U2 to warrant and entire post!

So check out my blog!

And I also LOVE Stay.
"Dressed up like a car crash
Your wheels are turning but you're upside down"

Who else writes like that? Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Where are my thirteen days of halloween? Can I at least get two? Why are you depriving your fans????