Pages

Monday, November 09, 2009

Musical Interlude - My Chemical Romance

My Chemical Romance is probably one of my all-time favorite bands. There. I've said it.

For those of you who aren't in the know... My Chemical Romance (a.k.a. MCR) is an American rock band, which formed in New Jersey in 2001, one week after the September 11th attacks. The lead singer, Gerard Way, was working in New York and saw the planes crash into the towers. This prompted him to re-evaluate his life and he decided not to waste anymore time, but to go ahead and chase his dreams of having a band. He's also said that he wanted to make a positive difference in people's lives through music. Their music has been described as alternative rock, pop punk, and emo (which it is most definitely not), but I think it's just good straight-up rock and roll.

I'd always intended to include MCR on one of my "Musical Interlude" Monday posts, I just didn't think it would be this song. I was going to post a different song, but when "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" came up on my random playlist on my iPhone this morning, it was the right fit. This is not the first MCR song I heard that made me fall in love with them (that would be "Helena"). It's not even the best song in their portfolio (although it was their first single and it did receive a lot of radio play), but what it is, simply, is a good fast song to wake you up and get your blood moving first thing on a Monday morning.

The song is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek break-up song, about the frustration with a relationship that just didn't work. I also think it's a humorous response to one of those situations where someone breaks your heart or you've just been hurt really bad for some reason, then the person has the gall to ask if you're going to be okay, and most of the time, we answer, "Yeah, I'll be okay," to dimsiss them and let them off the hook, or to save face. This song starts out by saying, "If you want me to be honest, that's all you had to say, and no, in fact, I am NOT okay."

If nothing else, the video is clever. It's filmed like a trailer for a movie, and references a lot of the high school movie cliches, about being social outcasts. I especially like the little references to Heathers (one of my favorite movies) and I love the final joke at the end. I hope you enjoy it, but if not, that's okay. Variety of opinions and artistic expressions are part of what makes the world more interesting!



I'M NOT OKAY (I PROMISE)
By My Chemical Romance

Well if you wanted honesty,
that's all you had to say.
I never want to let you down or have you go,
it's better off this way.
For all the dirty looks,
the photographs your boyfriend took,
Remember when you broke your foot
from jumping out the second floor?

I'm not okay
I'm not okay
I'm not okay
You wear me out

What will it take to show you
that it's not the life it seems? (I'm not okay)
I've told you time and time again
you sing the words
but don't know what it means (I'm not okay)
To be a joke and look,
another line without a hook,
I held you close as we both shook
for the last time
take a good hard look!

I'm not okay
I'm not okay
I'm not okay
You wear me out

Forget about the dirty looks
The photographs your boyfriend took
You said you read me like a book,
but the pages all are torn and frayed.

I'm okay
I'm okay!
I'm okay, now(I'm okay, now)
But you really need to listen to me

Because I'm telling you the truth
I mean this, I'm okay! (Trust Me)
I'm not okay

I'm not okay
Well, I'm not okay.
I'm really not okay.
I'm not okay
I'm not okay(Okay)

2 comments:

Laura said...

How clever! I've never seen a video presented that way... it made me watch to the end. :)

"you've got something in you eye..." LOL!

WriterGirl316 said...

Liked the video- the song fit really well with it. They are a talented group!
Thanks for sharing :-)