Pages

Monday, December 07, 2009

Musical Interlude - Jars of Clay

Since we're in the month of December, I figured my Musical Interludes should reflect the music of the season. First up is Jars of Clay's rendition of "Little Drummer Boy". It has an indie rock feel, and I kinda like it.

Typically I don't care for covers of Christmas songs where the artist has changed up the arrangement significantly to match their musical style, to the point where any specialness or essence from the original score has been lost. (The worst are the R&B versions of Christmas songs where they insert a lot of melisma and "ooohh"s and "oh baby"s. Ugh! Gag me with a candy cane...)

However, I think this particular cover works. There's something about a rock band, proclaiming that they are going to worship the Christ child by banging on their drum, that just makes me smile.

If you like this song, check out Jars of Clay's verison of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". Enjoy!



Little Drummer Boy
Music & Lyrics Originally by Katherine K. Davis

Come, they told me (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
A newborn king to see (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Our finest gifts we bring (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
To lay before the king (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum) [x 3]
So, to honor Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
When we come

Little baby (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I am a poor boy too (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I have no gifts to bring (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
That's fit to give a king (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum) [x 3]
Shall I play for you (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
On my drum?

Mary nodded (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
The ox and lamb kept time (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I played my drum for Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I played my best for Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum) [x 3]
Then, He smiled at me (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Me and my drum

1 comment:

Laura said...

oh yay yay yay, I love love love this version of Little Drummer Boy. It is my favorite. :)