Pages

Monday, February 08, 2010

Let's get LOST! (Episode 6:3 What Kate Does)

If you haven't seen this week's episode of LOST yet...
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren't warned. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's talk LOST!

Last night, instead of learning what Kate did (Season 2, Episode 17 title), we learned what Kate does after arriving in LA. Big surprise - she runs. I wonder what it is going to take to make Kate stop running. She tried to settle down once (remember how she was briefly married?) but it didn't work. What kind of epiphany moment does she need, to realize she doesn't have to run anymore, and just face who she is, face her emotions, face life? Either way, it was helpful to have the main storyline and the flash-sideways be somewhat centered on one character (or two, if you count Claire). It definitely helped me to follow along (compared to the season premiere, which was all over the map and threw so much new information at us, I'm still trying to process it). Here are my favorite moments from this episode.

I thought this was the most shocking moment of the night:
Dogen: "The infection will take over, and the Sayid you know will be gone."
Jack: "How do you know that's what will happen?"
Dogen: "Because that's what happened to your sister."


Ever since Claire just laid Aaron down on a palm leaf and followed her not-dad into the jungle, I've been dying with curiosity to know what happened to her. Then we saw her briefly in the cabin with not-dad (i.e. Christian, who was pretending to be Jacob, but who was really the Nemesis all the long). She was acting all spacey and weird and we didn't understand it. Now we know that she has been "claimed" by the Nemesis and has turned bad/evil. I wonder if it's like a possession or if it's more like she's under his spell, compelled to do his evil bidding? Not sure how that all works, but I was surprised that Dogen knew about Claire, and knew that she was Jack's sister. I was also surprised to see Claire in the last shot.

So, here's something my deep-thinking husband observed... Claire followed the same pattern as Rousseau. She was separated from her crew, had her baby taken away from her (although technically Claire just abandoned Aaron), then went crazy and lived a solitude life on the island, setting traps and shooting people with a rifle. Interesting...

Also interesting is Dogen's talk of Sayid being "infected." Rousseau talked about her crew being infected and we all thought she was crazy. Now we know she was probably right. After they visited the temple, she said they came back different. Now we know they were probably infected by the Nemesis.

Another observation, is that there seems to be two camps slowly evolving. There's Team Jacob and the good guys - the Oceanic 6, Richard, Illana, etc. and then there is Team Nemesis and his minions (so far, it's just Claire and possibly Sayid). I predict the Nemesis will start trying to convince people to come over to the "dark side of the force" so he can build up his own crew or army. I also predict he will target the most broken people who have nothing else to lose or nothing else to live for (Sawyer, that puts you on notice, buddy). Speaking of Sawyer...

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:
Sawyer: "It's my fault Juliet is dead. She sat right where you are sitting, ready to leave this island, and I convinced her to stay. I convinced her to stay because I didn't want to be alone. You understand that... But now I think that maybe some people were meant to be alone."

Could someone just go ahead and give Josh Holloway (Sawyer) his Emmy right now, because that was one of the most amazing moments of acting I've seen in a long time. He broke my heart into a million pieces, and then when I saw that what he had in his hand was an engagement ring... ugh... it was so incredibly sad. I just ached for him. I understand why Sawyer ran off. He wanted to be alone. He wanted to grieve. He doesn't care now about anyone or anything. And not that I've ever really been that interested in the Jake-Kate-Sawyer triangle on this show, but I can't imagine her ever having a chance with Sawyer now, after that scene with the two of them. It's obvious that Sawyer had found his true love, and now she's gone. Kate could never replace that. I think that's why Kate was crying, because she realized that too.

Sawyer is in such a dark, lonely, broken place, where he no longer cares about anything or anybody, I'm worried that is going to make him susceptible to turning evil and joining Team Not-Locke. I hope he doesn't, although I can't imagine what it will take to get him to rise up and be the hero again.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:
Hurley: "Dude, are you like, a zombie now?"
Sayid: "No, I am not a zombie."

So there you have it: another satisfying, confusing, mind-twisting episode. It was creepy seeing Ethan again. It continues to be weird to see the Losties interact with each other in the parallel reality with those awkward de ja vu double-takes they give each other. After his conversation with Jack, I find that I really like Dogen and I'm interested in his character and the role he plays on the island. Is he one of Jacob's representatives, like Richard? Is Sayid doomed to become a bad guy? Leave me a comment and let me know what your favorite moments were, or any theories you may have. I love this show!

19 comments:

chandy said...

You seem very quick to trust the temple folks and assume they are 'good'. I don't think they've done anything to earn my trust yet, and I'm just not convinced that they are the good guys. Honestly, I'm getting a bit irritated with the show, so I tend to believe there aern't that many 'good' people left. Sawyer, Hurley, Lapides, Jin, Miles, Rose and Bernard... I think those are about the only characters I trust anymore.

Anonymous said...

i still don't get the whole Locke thing. Locke's real body is still laying in his coffin, and the smoke monster just looks like him...???

amber s.

D.L. White said...

@Chandy - Funny you should bring this up - we had a lengthy discussion about that topic last night with our little viewing group - as to whether or not the temple people can be trusted. I'm not sure they can, but I made the assumption they are good, because they seem to take orders from Jacob, and Jacob seems to be good. But who knows anymore. This show makes you so paranoid!

I think I just decided good and bad, so I could put a toe-hold into something. LOST makes the lines so blurred between good and bad, it's hard to tell what they want us to think anymore. I'm more than ready for them to identify a clearly good hero and a clearly evil bad guy.

D.L. White said...

@Amber - Well, we know Smokey is a shapeshifter, and he always takes on the appearance of dead people. He's appeared as Christian Shepherd, Yemi, Alex, Shannon. So he's just taking on another appearance of someone who is dead - Locke. But why do they have to be dead? And why did Locke have to die for him to find his "loophole"?

Anonymous said...

yeah, but in all those others (besides Locke), it seems like smokey "inhabited" the BODY of said dead person (and may be what's happening w/ Sayid?), but that's not the case with Locke...bc his body is still laying on the beach...

amber

D.L. White said...

@Amber - Yeah, I don't quite get it either. And it doesn't jive with the whole "Sayid is infected, Claire is infected" angle. Those showrunners have some 'splainin' to do!

@Chandra - I just came across this on Lostpedia when I was actually looking up something else...

In a November 2009 interview, executive producer Damon Lindelof stated that, regarding the scene in "Pilot, Part 2" where Locke explains to Walt the premise of backgammon using the concept of light and dark, he and fellow co-creator J.J. Abrams had planned for those two sides to eventually be personified by two individuals (in reference to Jacob and the Man in Black).

I still don't know which one is which, but that's kinda encouraging... that they've had that idea all the long...

Laurie B said...

I have thought since the beginning of the very first show that the island is bad. The Others, who we now know are followers of Jacob, kill anyone who gets in their way or doesn't agree with them. That, a good guy does not make. They seem to be sociopaths.

I think being infected is sometimes a good thing for that person. Let's look at what has happened to them and their personalities. Claire before being infected was a weak, helpless little girl who needed protecting by Charlie and Locke. Now she's Clambo as in Claire/Rambo. She's the one who set those traps Kate used to get away from The Others and that caught Miles. Then we see her standing on the hill with a rifle and a headband like Rambo. Not so helpless anymore. Acting much like Rousseau and protecting herself from the Others. I think justifiably. In Clambo's case, infected may be a good thing.

Then we have Sayid. Sayid is a murderer and torturer. In Iraq and on the island he was the torturer and back on the mainland he was assasin for Ben. He's always been a fierce soldier who would have fought to the death to save himself. Now we see him weakened and forgetting he drowned, thanking Jack for saving him. Then he allows Dogen to torture him all the while being wimpy and crying. He kept asking "Why are you doing this?" Instead of being angry, he was afraid. Is the new Sayid going to be a pacifist? For Sayid, being infected is a good thing. IMO.

Remember when Richard said if they helped save Ben he would never be the same and then he grew up and murdered his whole village? Not just the cruel father who emotionally tortured him but the whole village. How does a sweet little kid grow up to do that? In Ben's case, infected is a bad thing. Was Sayid infected in the pool?

Rousseau said her French team was infected and they tried to kill her. Not each other, just the one who wasn't acting like them. Were they infected or her?

Dogen is a master manipulator. The way he convinced Jack through guilt to give Sayid the pill. He said "It won't work unless he takes it willingly." Why is that? Would his body reject the poison like Nemesis did the bullets when he was in Locke's form? I don't trust Dogen at all.

Funniest lines of the night both go to Miles. "So as you can see here, Hugo has assumed the leadership position, so that's pretty great." And "I'll be in the food court." Those both cracked me up.

Laurie B said...

I also think Justin, the black guy who went with Kate and Jin to find Sawyer, is going to be a good guy before this is over because he seems to have a conscience or maybe he's just not as secretive as the other Others. He doesn't know the rule about Others never talking about anything in front of outsiders. He has almost spilled the beans, once about the Aljira flight landing on the other island and also about Rousseau setting the traps. Aldo seemed to be trying to keep the fact that Clambo was still alive and setting the traps, from Kate and Jin.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the temple people are the good guys. They have far too many secrets and they won't tell anyone what they are up to. I don't know if there really is a good guy because I don't trust Jacob either. I find myself feeling jack's pain because I don't know who to trust. I think the infection is the feeling of hopelessness that many of the characters feel. Because of this they come to "the dark side". Another thought I had is what if Jacob is another of the man in black's covers?

John

Laura said...

I agree with Laurie, as I said last night I don't think we can divide the people in this show into two distinct groups of good vs bad. The writers have developed completely complex characters much like people we all encounter every day. While as a Christian I try to be more like Jesus and be "good" I cannot do it all the time. Does that mean I'm sometimes "bad"?

I also don't think Rousseau was "bad" or "infected". She always behaved in a rational way toward the Losties, it was the Others she wanted to capture and/or kill.

Laurie B said...

Earlier I said "Now she's Clambo as in Claire/Rambo. She's the one who set those traps Kate used to get away from The Others and that caught Miles." I meant to say caught Jin.

D.L. White said...

Good comments people. I don't have much else to add at this point.

I have faith in the writers. I'm looking forward to what they have to say, about the nature of man, and whether he is basically good or basically evil. (something Cuse and Lindeloff have alluded to in interviews).

They've played with Christian themes in the past. I wonder if the answer to that good vs. evil question will come from a Christian worldview perspective or not... either way, I just hope it's a satisfying conclusion.

@Laurie - LOL at "Clairbo".
Also - so, do you think Jacob is evil and the Nemesis is actually good?

Laurie B said...

I think Jacob could be bad, Davina. I just have the feeling they are going to throw in a twist we aren't expecting. They are so good at that. When Ben said once "We're the good guys John!" I didn't believe him. How could such cut throat people be the good guys?

Ron said...

I have a thought about this whole "good and evil" thing. Good for the island is not necessarily good for me. If Jacob represents "the island" and Nemesis is diametrically opposed to Jacob and wants to "go home", which is better for the Losties? I think the battle for the 'undeclaired' Losties is what this season is about. So far, Locke has given all for the island, whereas Claire has gone against the island.
When the DHARMA folks came to exploit the island, the island used Ben to purge the "evil". When Nemisis said "They come, fight, they distroy, they corrupt... it always ends the same" in last season's finale, I think he was talking about Jacob's manipulation of people onto the island. He's getting tired of his "exile" on the island and is looking for a way back to reality, but his fate with Jacob keeps him on the island - going through the same thing over and over. With the Black Rock, the French team, and even our Losties... we are just seeing how this episode is playing out.
I think, in the end, it's good to be on the Nemesis' side. I'm pretty sure that Sawyer is working his way to that side. Sayid is infected - does that mean he will eventually jump to the Nemesis' side? Only time will tell.

D.L. White said...

@Laurie - Oh how many times that scene has been mentioned in my household!!! When Ben says "We're the good guys, John!" Shawn immediately said he believed Ben, and I immediately said I didn't. Can you be "good" and gas a whole island of innocent people, simply because they were squatters on your land? But who has been behind all that evil? Hmm... did Jacob tell Richard to order the attack? And Richard told Ben to do it? Or did Ben take it upon himself to do that? Hmmm... gonna need to re-watch that episode...

So here's a new question for everyone, based on the following discussion between Jacob and the Nemesis. My question is after the quote.

JACOB: I take it you're here because of the ship.

NEMESIS: I am. How did they find the Island?

JACOB: You'll have to ask them when they get here.

NEMESIS: I don't have to ask. You brought them here. Still trying to prove me wrong, aren't you?

JACOB: You are wrong.

NEMESIS: Am I? They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.

JACOB: It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.

NEMESIS: Do you have any idea how badly I want to kill you?

JACOB: Yes.

NEMESIS: One of these days, sooner or later... I'm going to find a loophole, my friend.

JACOB: Well, when you do, I'll be right here.

Why does Jacob bring people to the island? Is it to cause some change for the better in their lives? Or is he a cruel god, playing a cruel game, and just messing with them like his own personal chess pieces? Is he using people as his own personal pawns to "prove Nemesis is wrong"? What is he wrong about? That people are basically good or basically evil?

I also now find the line "It only ends once" very telling... does it really? We have two alternate realities going on right now... that would seem to imply it could end twice. Or maybe he means each existance only ends once... (argh... pulled a brain muscle again)

Btw - Ron - thanks for joining the discussion! :)

Laurie B said...

I remember posting something here last season about hearing the whispering voices from time to time. I believed they may be the voices of the gods up on Olympus commenting as they watch the show as it plays out below them on Earth. It's like Jacob and Nemesis are playing a game, as you said with spectators commenting above.

Shawn White said...

I've been resisting to comment, but alas, here I am...

To answer the question about Ben killing the innocents - who is truly innocent? No one is, so I think that is a tough call. Plus, I think Ben really thought he was one of the good guys because he was doing as Jacob commanded. Somewhere, Ben went sideways and I don't think we can fault Jacob for that.

Why does Jacob bring people to the Island? Probably because he believes in the goodness of people and he is trying to show his Nemesis that man is ultimately good. Now, if that is the case, the Jacob severely underestimates human nature. It must be for some other reason, but I don't think it is a sinister reason. I do think he is trying to prove the Man in Black wrong about something that the writers haven't revealed to the audience yet.

Finally, I think Jacob is right that it only ends once. I have a feeling that Leibniz's split world scenario is going to converge upon itself. Remember, they said very early on that you can't escape death; the universe is self-correcting. That was mainly in reference to Charlie, but I think it was meant to be understood in a broader context as well. If the universe does self-correct, then I can't see the parallel timeline being sustained for the entire season.

Jessie said...

Okay, so I have to wonder if Ben had been following Jacob's orders at all. I mean, when Locke say "Jacob" it was Christian's form, right? So, isn't that really The Nemesis? So, doesn't it follow that perhaps Ben was actually doing the bidding of The Nemesis? I could be WAY OFF BASE here, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

I, for one, have never trusted Ben. I had my doubts when he had those supposed lists, which he used to pick off people from the crash sites. And then he couldn't actually see Jacob... Hmmmm, I'm just not sure Ben wasn't making the whole thing up.

What gets me about this whole side-ways parallel reality

D.L. White said...

@Shawn - jump in any time! Why resist? Your comments were very helpful to me. I'll be interested to see how much of a Christian worldview is reflected in the writer's final analysis of good vs. evil on this island.

@ Jessica - I'm with you. I think Ben has been making it all up and serving his own plan for a long time now. He chose the dark side a long time ago... regardless of who he was supposed to be answering to.