Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Musical Interlude - Cliff Edwards

I just got back from a trip to Disneyland, and I'm feeling sentimental and a little sad that it's back to reality today. So, no rock and roll to start out our Monday morning "Musical Interlude", but instead a sweet little tune that always makes me a little misty eyed. Listening to it helps me stretch out that Disneyland feeling for just a little bit longer.

"When You Wish upon a Star" was written by Ned Washington and Leigh Harline and appeared in the 1940 Walt Disney movie Pinocchio, where it is sung by Cliff Edwards, the voice actor for Jiminy Cricket. The song won the Academy Award for Best Original Song that year. Like Mickey Mouse became the mascot for all things Disney, the song has become the theme song of The Walt Disney Company. The American Film Institute ranked "When You Wish Upon A Star" seventh in their 100 Greatest Songs in Film History, and it is the highest ranked Disney song on that list.

I'm not a pollyanna type person, and I certainly don't believe in wishing on stars, but I love the sense of hope and optimism in this song.



"When You Wish Upon a Star"
From Walt Disney's Pinocchio

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires

Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do

Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing
Like a bolt out of the blue

Fate steps in and sees you through

When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true

5 comments:

chandy said...

Love this!!

And in case you need another pick me up this afternoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiGlLBk0V8k

D.L. White said...

You know I love it!!!

I'll definitely be listening to both of these throughout the day. :)

Laura said...

I haven't sung that to Neil in several months, but when I came home from my trip with you on Saturday he was getting ready for bed. When I went in to kiss him goodnight, he looked up with sleepy eyes and said "Wish upon a star?" I sang it for him with my squeaky tired voice but he didn't care what it sounded like. He just wanted mommy to sing his lullaby. And like any good mommy, I complied.

D.L. White said...

AAAWWWWWWWW!!! That made me get a little misty eyed. Precious!

hyacinthinemoon said...

Thanks for posting this song. It made my night! :)