Pages

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Let's get LOST! (Episode 6:6 Sundown)

If you haven't seen this week's episode of LOST yet...
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren't warned. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's talk LOST!


I just have to say, I will never be able to hear the song “Catch a Falling Star” ever again, without instantly getting a cold chill up my spine. They took a sweet connection Claire had with her baby and turned it into something twisted and spooky and eeevil! Evil, like the fru—its of the de—vil! (Shudders) And how, pray tell, am I supposed to just pick one shocking moment, out of all the revelations we were shown last night? I’m not doing it. It’s my blog, and I’ll pick as many as I want. So, without further ado…

I thought this was the most shocking moment of the night:
Nadia is married to someone else in the flash-sideways reality.
Tied with
When Sayid stabbed the Nemesis, it didn’t kill him or even draw blood.
Tied with
Sayid turns to the dark side, and kills Dogen and Lennon.
Tied with
Jin is in the freezer!


The plot twists and revelations were flying fast and furious during this episode. I can’t count how many times I sucked in a breath, in shock over what just happened or was shown to us. I understand that things are the same, yet slightly askew in the alternate universe, but for some reason I didn’t think Nadia would be married to someone else, let alone Sayid’s brother. Her hands were unscarred, and the picture he had of her was different, so it seems like their whole background story is different, even though it seems like Sayid’s background as a torturer for the military is the same.

I’ve always liked Sayid. Ah, who am I kidding? I’ve grown fond of all of the original survivors, and even some of the newer cast additions, on different levels throughout the last five seasons (except for Shannon and Michael; they both drove me nuts). Sayid’s instinct and judgment has always been spot-on, and he was always a strong hero, and had even had regret for the torturing and negative aspects of his past. So I must say I’m a little disappointed that he has gone evil and joined Team Smokey. I’m hoping that he’s a double-agent, but I think that’s a slim chance.

As far as Nemesis not dying when Sayid stabbed him, I really didn't think he would (because then it would be the end of the show) but I was surprised that Sayid actually did it, and creeped out that it didn't seem to leave a mark or draw blood or anything. Which, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that either since Nemesis is an apparition, and isn't actually using Locke's physical body. I was also surprised that the act of violence didn't trigger him to go into Smokey mode and kill Sayid, like it did when Braum and his crew shot at him.

As an aside, Keamy is a jerk no matter what timeline he is in, isn't he?

So, after shooting Keamy and his crew, Sayid found Jin tied up in the freezer. Okay, so follow me on this one. Mr. Pak (Sun's dad) sent Jin on an errand to deliver the gold watch to an "associate" in LA. The associate must have been Keamy or Keamy's boss. (I've been meaning to re-watch the episode, because I'm pretty sure Keamy is wearing the watch.) In the original timeline, Charles Widmore was the one who had hired Keamy and the freighter people. If Keamy still works for Widmore in the parallel reality, then that means Mr. Pak and Widmore are business associates. Ah, the plot thickens...

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:
Nemesis: "Sayid, if you'll do this for me... what if I told you that you could have anything you wanted. What if I said you can have anything in the entire world?"
Sayid: “I would tell you that the only thing I ever wanted died in my arms. And I'll never see it again.”
Nemesis: “What if you could?”

As I was watching this scene, I was instantly reminded of the temptation of Christ in the desert. "Again, the devil took him (Jesus) to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 'All this I will give you,' he said, 'if you will bow down and worship me.'" (Matthew 4:8-9) Again... I'm so sad that Sayid made the decision to go with Team Smokey. But just like the devil, the Nemesis knows how to tempt people at their most vulnerable point. He did the same thing with Sawyer. He approached him when he couldn't get any lower (emotionally) or more broken, then offered him the one thing he wanted above all others.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:
Miles: "Sawyer sent you packing huh? I thought about going after him too, but I knew he’d just end up berating me until I turned around and came back. Is that what happened?"
Kate: "Pretty much."
Miles: "Well, welcome back to the circus."
Tied with
Frank: "We'll play catch up later. You wanna live you better move your a**."

Thank goodness for the few lighter moments, where we could find them, because this was a very dark episode! I have a few more random thoughts. Did you see Sayid and Nadia pass Jack in the hallway of the hospital? Interesting, to find out that Dogen had a "job" assigned to him by Jacob. He must have been a protector of some kind or gatekeeper, because once he was dead, the protective ash circle didn't matter, and Smokey had free-reign into the temple. Not only did I see Biblical parallels in the "temptation of Sayid" but I also felt like the ultimatum given at the temple had echoes to the passover of the Bible. Poor Kate is getting in on the tail end of all these goings-on and she has no idea the levels of psychopath crazy that she’s walking into, not only with Claire but with Not-Locke. Last she knew, Locke was dead. So as far as she knows, this is Locke resurrected. Argh! So many things to discuss, my fingers can't type fast enough.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about Sayid and his decision, and the direction the story is taking. And until next week, I leave you with this creepy final scene, and that sweet lullaby turned psycho creepy horror movie theme song. Scary!


10 comments:

Laura said...

I've never been a huge Sayid fan, but his centric episodes are always AMAZING.

Just a thought, what if when Sayid told Smokey aka not-Locke the only thing he ever wanted died in his arms... well, what if he meant Shannon, not Nadia. I admit I think he was referring to Nadia, since she was in the episode, but since he wasn't specific about it I wouldn't put it past the writers to pull a fast one on Sayid. And send us all into screaming fits of rage.

D.L. White said...

Aaargggh!!! Not Shannon!!! Shannon is on my short list of characters I couldn't stand on this show. I'm gonna start praying to the four-toed LOST gods right now, that they do NOT do that to us. Ugh!

Laura said...

I don't think they will do that, but it's kind of reminiscent to a Twilight Zone effect. Someone makes a deal with the devil (or someone) but because they aren't specific enough, they get cheated by a "loophole". ;)

chandy said...

It's obvious that the writers are trying very hard to convince us that not-Locke (and now Sayid) are "bad". But the problem I have is that they haven't done one single thing to explain to me WHY Team Smokey is bad and Team Jacob is good. So I'm at the point now that I don't care which side wins. I'm not bothered when the smoke monster kills people...I'm not bothered that Sayid chose the 'dark side'...I kinda understand Claire wanting to get revenge against Kate...Sawyer just rocks, and he always will.

So, why should I even care about the 'good' guys? Why should I even believe that they actually are the good ones? That side does nothing but lie, cheat, and manipulate. How are they any better than Smokey? (except Hurley...I think he's good)

Ron said...

I'm liking your thinking, Laura. I was, sorta on the fence about who was good and who was evil. Then when not-Locke made the deal with Sayid, I blurted out "He's evil!". Your take on it would be just what evil would do.

Jessie said...

I hate to admit it, but the twilight zone thing is plausible. Shannon did die on the island...But I think Sayid meant Nadia anyways.

How about not-Locke being a little surprised to see Kate? I am a little happy that Kate will be back with Sawyer, and am incredibly interested to see how that turns out. But I am not liking that Kate is tagging along with Team Satan.

Anyways, I am dying for the sideways world to resolve itself. It's almost too much!

hyacinthinemoon said...

I didn't consider the Shannon angle either. Interesting.

I am kind of sad Sayid has turned to the "dark side."

I think Kate has no idea what she is waking into.

I think the battle lines are drawn and Kate will realize, perhaps too late she is on the wrong side.


Did anyone see what side Miles ended up on? I can't remember.

Laurie B said...

When Not-Locke was making an offer to Sayid it made me remember when Ben did the same thing to Locke. he told him his heart's desire (or something like that) was in the magic box, and it was, it was Locke's father. Then Ben said he could join the group if he killed his father. I still have trouble believing Jacob is the good guy since Ben was one of the Others and they would kill anyone who got in their way. I'm anxious to see who the good guy really is.

Laurie B said...

I was thinking today, when is Widmore going to come back to the island? Maybe that's who is coming.

Laurie B said...

Didn't Miles go into the secret tunnel with Ilana, Lapides, Sun and Ben?