Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Musical Interlude - RED

Not much to say about this band except that they consistently rock. We purchased a RED CD for one of our friends recently, which got me to thinking about the band, and led me to posting them for my Musical Interlude Monday. RED is a Christian rock band, with their name representing the color of Christ's blood, and also being short for "redemption". This song, "Breathe Into Me", was their first single, which received a lot of airplay on the mainstream rock radio stations here in town. Which, as an aside, is typically how I found out about new Christian rock music. The so-called Christian music stations in my area only play the adult contemporary, shiny happy Christian music, which is fine, if that's what you're into, but not really the repository for all things Christian and rock... Anyway, here's the song... I hope you like it.



Breathe Into Me
by RED

And this is how it feels when I
ignore the words you spoke to me
And this is where I lose myself
when I keep running away from you

And this is who I am when,
when I don't know myself anymore
And this is what I choose when
it's all left up to me

Breathe your life into me
I can feel you
I'm falling,
falling faster
Breathe your life into me
I still need you
I'm falling,
falling
Breathe into me
Breathe into me

And this is how it looks
when I am standing on the edge
And this is how I break apart
when I finally hit the ground
And this is how it hurts
when I pretend I don't feel any pain
And this is how I disappear
when I throw myself away

Breathe your life into me
I can feel you
I'm falling, falling faster
Breathe your life into me
I still need you
I'm falling, falling
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
(repeat)

5 comments:

chandy said...

I really like that...I'll have to Pandora them!

D.L. White said...

Good stuff to get your blood pumping. Their whole album is solid!

Laura said...

I affirm your statement, "so-called Christian music stations in my area only play the adult contemporary, shiny happy Christian music..." I can only take so much of that (and that's not much).

Today, while perusing my pre-sets on the car radio, I landed on 99.9. I was running errands this afternoon and they played Nickelback "If Today Was Your Last Day" which caused me to posit the need for humanity to perform "random acts of kindness".

I started thinking about how God has placed within mankind the need to befriend and care for each other so much so that artists are compelled to write about that need. Nickelback is NOT a Christian band and yet they felt compelled to write a song about living a life without regrets and being aware of the impact one life can have on those around us.

This song was the wake-up call *I* needed today. I love it when God inspires me through secular sources, at times they have more impact than sappy pop praise music. :P

Add to that the usefulness that a group like Nickelback would be in talking about this exact thing with a non-Christian... love it.

Jessie said...

Really great song.

I totally agree with you on the Christian stations, with the exception of Air 1. I find Air 1 has a good mix of shiny, happy Christian music with Christian Rock. What do you think?

D.L. White said...

Good stuff. Thanks for your input everyone, and sorry I'm just now getting back to you.

@Laura - I love that too! The themes that make great music or art, the "Big Questions" and longings of the human experience, all point towards God and His Truth.

@Jessie - I used to listen to Air 1 a long time ago and they had a really good mix. Are they still on the air though? Last I remembered, their signal was poor and I couldn't get them on my radio. Maybe they switched FM locations or increased their tower strength?