Pages

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Let's get LOST! (Episode 6:10 The Package)

If you haven't seen this week's episode of LOST yet...
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren't warned. Now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk LOST!

I don't know how I feel about the alternate timeline universe. So many of the plot lines and characters are better over there, in the sense that they've triumphed over the tragedies in their lives, instead of letting it destroy them. But at the same time, things are worse. Sayid was never married to Nadia (although she never got tortured). Sun is a stronger, self-reliant woman, instead of the submissive repressed one we originally knew, and Jin seems to be pretty nice to her too, however, it looks like she might lose her baby, where in our island timeline, her daughter is alive. I'm dying to know how they are going to rectify the split time or alternate reality. Which one is the one that "really" happened? Until we find out, here were my favorite moments of the evening:

I thought this was the most shocking moment of the night:
Desmond is the "package"!

So we all knew that the "thing" locked in the sub was probably a person and not an object, and I think even some of us in our viewing party guessed that it was Desmond, but it was still a shock to see him. I was so busy worrying about our Oceanic Six, or the original survivors or whatever you want to call them, that I had momentarily forgotten about Desmond and Penny. I had pleasantly tucked them away in my mind as having gone off happily ever after. I think in the last episode that we saw Desmond, he was at the Lamppost Station telling Mrs. Hawking and the rest of the Oceanic Six that they were all crazy and he wasn't having any part of the island. Then he got shot right through the milk jug by Ben at the pier. When we last saw him, he was recovering in a hospital bed, promising Penny that he would never leave her ever again. Oh well, so much for that promise. And if memory serves me right, didn't Mrs. Hawking talk to Penny when she and Charlie Jr. were in the hospital waiting room? I wonder if Mrs. Hawking is in cahoots with Widmore, and helped him get Desmond out of the hospital and onto the sub? But why?

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:
Widmore (to Jin): "We searched the Ajira plane, discovered your wife's luggage and found this inside. (Hands Jin a digital camera.) I thought you might want to have it. Go ahead, turn it on. Her name is Ji-Yeon. I understand you've never seen her before. I have a daughter too. and I know what it's like to be kept apart."

How could you not get a little teary-eyed at this scene? I love it that, despite all the sci-fi weirdness of alternate universes and Egyptian mythology and flying smoke monsters, the LOST writers have brought this season back to home, focusing back to the heart and intimate struggles of each of the main characters (as was the focus in season one). I hope that Jin gets to meet his daughter. I'm pretty sure I will cry big fat tears if he doesn't.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:
Miles: "Unless Richard is covered in bacon grease, I'm not sure Hurley can track him."
Lapidus: "Hey, don't talk about bacon."
tied with
Ben: "What?!?! For the fourth time - I was gathering mangoes when I found her passed out under a tree. Why won't you believe me?"
Ilana: "Because you're talking."

Sorry I'm so late in getting my LOST posts up lately. I get them half-written, then get busy and never get back to them to clean them up, find a good picture, and hit the "publish post" button. By the time you read this, Faithful Readers, we all will have probably watched tonight's episode, but that's okay, I'd still like to chat. Leave me a comment and let me know if you think Sun and Jin are going to have a happy ending, and what you think about their alternate personalities. (P.S. Mirrors continue to be a running theme this season. Did you see Sun stop and do a double-take in the mirror, as if she didn't recognize herself? Cool.)

3 comments:

Ron said...

First comment?! - I liked this episode more in the alternate time line. I wasn't really catapulted back onto the island until Desmond showed up. Except for the photos of Ji-Yeon
I agree with your shocking, tender, and funniest moments. Ben is starting to become... Well... not-Ben. Back in 'his' episode, did you see the way he puppied around begging to help with anything he could? I think he's still there.

It's interesting how the side universe is not necessarily going in chronicological order. It would be real interesting to see them all together in order, like they did with the Season 4 (I think) DVD set.

Just some random thoughts.

Laura said...

Tonight's Desmond centric episode = AWESOME!!!

D.L. White said...

@Ron - love your thoughts! I agree, this episode was somewhat transitional for the island, with more of the forward movement of a plotline occurring in the parallel universe/alternate reality.

@Laura - I KNOW!!! I simply MUST get my new LOST post written and put up quickly so we can discuss!