Pages

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Let's get LOST! (Episode 6:12 Everybody Loves Hugo)

If you haven't seen this week's episode of LOST yet...
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren't warned. Now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk LOST!

Just when we thought the LOST writers couldn't top the emotion and storytelling of last week's amazing Desmond-centric episode, and then they go and follow it up with a Hurley episode. My little LOST-loving heart nearly burst out of my ribcage. I love the alternate-reality version of Hurley. He's so confident, successful, kind, caring and happy - everything that we've slowly discovered was in him in the island-reality, underneath all his self-doubt and neurosis. It was nice to see all those attributes on display, front and center. Well... except when it comes to his self-esteem in talking to girls...that hasn't changed. I squealed with glee when Libby came over to Hurley's table in the restaurant! But I'm getting ahead of myself... here are my favorite moments from this episode...

I thought this was the most shocking moment of the night:
Ilana goes BOOM!
tied with
Hurley blows up the Black Rock.
tied with
Desmond runs down Locke with his car in the alternate universe.

We should have seen it coming. We saw what happened to Arntz. The dynamite blowing up Ilana should not have made me jump out of my seat, but it did. I didn't think we were quite done with her character, but apparently we were. Now here's a thought for you... We keep flashing back to when Jacob comes to her in the hospital, to tell her he needs her help, and Ilana is all wrapped up in bandages like she's been burned. But we've never been told what caused her injuries. I wonder if she's in some weird time loop of her own, where she keeps getting blown up by the dynamite and blown back to that moment in time? It's a stretch, but just something I thought I'd toss out there.

Why did Desmond run down Locke in his car? It seems like it's "true love" that is snapping people out of their reality and making them realize that they are in an alternate universe (Charlie remembered Claire, Daniel remembered Charlotte, Desmond remembered Penny) but Locke is already with his "true love" Helen in the alternate universe. So maybe it's his injury or accident that will wake him up or make him remember the island reality? I think we know now why Desmond asked for the flight 815 manifest in the previous episode. It seems that he's going to each Lostie and trying to wake them up. (Why do I feel like I'm talking about The Matrix all of a sudden? Take the red pill!) That would explain why he just so happened to be at the Mr. Clucks and just so happened to go over and talk to Hurley.

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:
Hurley and Libby kiss, and in that moment, all of Hurley's memories of Libby come flooding back.

This was such a happy, sad, touching moment. I was already getting teary-eyed, seeing them have a picnic on the beach; the picnic or first-date that they were never able to have on the island, because Michael shot Libby when she came to the hatch to get blankets. Sigh... Speaking of which, that was such a powerful, well-acted scene between Hurley and Michael, when ghost-Michael apologized to Hurley for shooting Libby. And Hurley, ever of the forgiving and big heart, accepted the apology and forgave him. If everybody didn't love Hugo already, they should be won over after that scene.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:
After Ilana just blew up...
Ben: "Now what?"
Richard: "We get more dynamite. Or else she died for nothing."
Jack: "Maybe she died to show us to stay the hell away from dynamite."

And now a word about the brief moments we saw of Desmond and Smokey in this episode. Remember how in my previous post I discussed Desmond's "specialness" and how I think he's seen the future? Well, this would explain his cool, aloof, almost knowing demeanor, in the island time line when encountering Smokey. I think from the minute he saw him Desmond knew who Smokey was (even though he played along and said he was Locke) and I also think he knew that Smokey was going to push him in the well, because he said, "What use is there in being afraid?" He already knew it was going to happen; maybe even knew that it needed to happen. And there's no need to be afraid if he already knows how it all ends.

We've always known Desmond is special. I'm starting to think he might be the "messiah." Jacob and Smokey are all worried about the endless loop they've been trapped in all these years with candidates and being trapped on the island, and the good vs. evil struggle. However, I think Desmond is special, above and beyond all that, and he might be the answer or the solution to end it all for good, and resolve the never ending game Jacob and Smokey are in. I don't know if that means he'll destroy Smokey or what, but I do think Desmond will figure prominently into the solution of the conundrum known as LOST. What do you think? Leave me a comment and let me know.

No comments: