Pages

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Let's get LOST! (Episode 6:14 The Candidate)

If you haven't seen this week's episode of LOST yet...
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren't warned. Now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk LOST!

Originally, this post was going to be very short. I was going to have pictures of Jin, Sun and Sayid, and the text was going to read: "Noooooo!!! No! No! No!" I still don't feel very talkative. I'm kind of bummed, kind of disappointed. I am again amazed at how much emotion this show enlists from me. I have never ever watched a show like this before in my life, and I suspect there will never be another one like it.

I thought this was both the most shocking moment and the most heartbreaking moment:

R.I.P. Jin and Sun
R.I.P. Sayid

Sayid's death made sense to me. It really was the only way his character could get some redemption. The writers had kind of painted him into a corner. His character had arrived at a very dire and hopeless place, so at least they gave him an honorable and heroic exit. I did find some satisfaction in seeing the eeeevil Sayid disappear for a moment, and the good Sayid take over and save the others. So long Sayid. It was nice knowing you. Your instincts never led you astray, and your talents always came in handy. I hope you were reunited with Nadia in the afterlife.

Sun and Jin's death, on the other hand... seemed a touch unnecessary. I wished in my last post (and in several others) that the writers would give Sun and Jin a happy ending. Was my wish granted? Nope. Wish denied! Although I must admit I had a sinking feeling and was secretly worried that Jin and Sun had "CANNONFODDER" stamped on their foreheads the minute after they were reunited and their story was somewhat resolved.

Dear LOST writers, just because there was no more story to tell when it came to their characters, that didn't mean you had to kill them off! I mean, really, was that necessary?! You're giving me very little hope that anyone is going to have a happy ending on this show and that's starting to worry me. You made Ji-Yeon an orphan, you big meanies!

I cried a little bit when they showed Sun and Jin's last moments, and that they were holding hands until the very end, but mostly I was in disbelief. Then they showed Hurley break down into sobs and I lost it too. Ugh. Goodbye Sun and Jin. I enjoyed seeing you overcome the highs and lows and all the challenges to your relationship. I hope you are happy and free now and together, forever.

Discussing a "funny moment" from this show seems inappropriate, but there was indeed one. I'll mention it here, simply for the sake of staying consistent with my post format.

This was the funny moment of the night:
Jack wakes up in the outrigger canoe.
Sayid: "Welcome to Hydra island. At least you didn't have to paddle..."

What do you think about the casualties from tonight's show? Did you think we'd make it to the end without losing any more key players? Do you think they will kill off everyone but Jack? (i.e. the Candidate) Jack may be the candidate (I think we've known that since his epiphany at the lighthouse) but I still think Desmond is the key. He's the wild card to ending it all. I also think Jack is right - Smokey doesn't need them with him in order to get off the island, he needs all the candidates dead, in order to get off the island. What do you think? Leave me a comment and let me know, while I get up to retrieve a fresh box of Kleenex. Sniff.

10 comments:

chandy said...

See, I was getting all weepy too, and then Joel reminded me that they aren't really dead at all in their other lives. Jin is delivering flowers to his happily recovering pregnant wife in the hospital. The one I feel bad for is Lapides. Talk about an innocent bystander. He didn't sign up for any of this, and I don't think he even has an alternate life. He's just dead. That was a GREAT episode though. I was also very touched to see that Jack and Sawyer are healing old wounds. Another funny/awesome moment was when Sawyer stole the gun from "doughboy".

Laura said...

Thinking about the writers killing Jin and Sun that way, without either of them thinking about their daughter, makes me mad all over again. I'd be willing to bet NONE of the writers are parents, or at least, NO mothers.

I think I've mentioned before that I've never been a fan of Sayid, but his death was poignant and appropriate. When Charlie died, Hurley cried but I think last night Hurley broke down because so many of his friends died in one incident. Charlie was killed by The Others, but we don't really know who or what the Man in Black is. That's tough to understand why your friends died if there's no real enemy or cause to be angry at.

Again, LOST mirrors real life and the struggle to understand life and death.

D.L. White said...

@Chandra - That does provide some comfort, but is the alternate reality really real?

I wonder if Lapidus drowned or what? I don't remember seeing what happened to him. Although in Ack Attack's recap, she said he got clonked on the head and drowned. If so, that is very very unfair. Poor Lapidus. Like you say, probably the most innocent bystander there ever was on this show.

@Laura - Yeah, it's still not sitting quite right with me either. Jin and Sun's deaths just seemed so sudden and unnecessary. I would really love to know the thought process behind the writers' decision. Btw - your last few thoughts just blew my mind! Deep stuff to ponder...

Laura said...

I heard a new theory on the identity of Adam and Eve... wanna hear it?

D.L. White said...

Sure. Lay it on me.

I was leaning towards Adam and Eve being Sun and Jin (or Desmond and Penny) but after last night's show - that kinda rules out Sun and Jin.

Laurie B said...

When this episode was over I just yelled. AAARRRGGGHHH! I still feel that way. I didn't cry last night. I was sad to see Jin and Sun die but I automatically thought, they're not really dead. We also didn't see Lapidus die, we just saw him hit by the blast.

Claire said something like, they're all dead? Locke responded, "Not all of them." How does he know? I think he knows he can't kill the replacement just like he can't kill Jacob. He knows all the candidates were on the sub but I bet he doesn't know which one it is that's still alive.

I suppose Desmond is still in the well as we're pretty sure Sayid didn't kill him. Maybe Sayid wouldn't take the chance of letting him out because if Locke found out he lied and didn't really kill Des, he would kill him. I don't think Desmond can be killed on the island.

I think Desmond hit Locke with the car to get him back with Jack. Last night we saw Claire, Locke, Jack, Sun and Jin at the hospital. If Miles and Sawyer show up to question the Kwons then we'll have all but Kate, Charlie and Hurley there. I think the fireworks will happen when they are all brought together again. I can't wait.

D.L. White said...

Good insights Laurie! :)

Laura said...

There's a lot of speculation on whether Lapedus is dead or not, Lostpedia has his status as "unconfirmed". Maybe we'll know soon... or maybe not.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Frank

Laura said...

I just noticed your episode count is off by two, The Candidate is 6x14. I don't think you skipped two episode posts, did you?

D.L. White said...

This is why I was an English major, not a math major - I can't even count!!! lol Thanks for catching that. I fixed it. ;-)