Pages

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Let's get LOST! (Episode 6:11 Happily Ever After)

If you haven't seen this week's episode of LOST yet...
BEWARE! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!
Don't say you weren't warned. Now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk LOST!

Before we discuss this particular episode, let's take a look at Desmond's specialness or gifted abilities. When Desmond blew up the hatch by turning the fail safe key in "Live Together, Die Alone" we learned that he could time travel within his own body/consciousness. When he woke up from that explosion (naked in the jungle) in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" we found out that he could see the future in a limited way. He could see into the immediate future when Charlie was in danger and about to die. He also time traveled within his own body/consciousness in "The Constant" and reconnecting with Penny is what finally grounded his consciousness in one time. Now, in tonight's episode, after getting zapped in Widmore's electromagnetic pulse room, and then being "woken up" by his near death experience forced on him by Charlie and then his vision of Penny, I think Desmond can "see" in between the two alternate/parallel universes or timelines (island reality vs. LA reality) and I also think he's seen ahead into the future and knows how this is all going to play out. That's my prediction. So without further ado, here are my favorite moments from this episode, although it's hard to pick favorites, since Desmond-centric episodes are always 100% amazing.

I thought this was the most shocking moment of the night:

Uh... the entire episode!

Although if I had to pick one moment that kind of caught me off guard, it was this:

Faraday: "What if this wasn't supposed to be our life? What if we had some other life and for some reason we changed things?... I don't want to set off a nuclear bomb, I think I already did."

Thank heavens Faraday showed up with his journal to explain everything. How cool was it that he saw Charlotte at the museum, and it was his true love that "woke him up" to the reality that the world he's living in isn't quite right? He realized that he's supposed to be in another reality, and that this LA reality where he's a musician is false or fake in some way. It's the same thing that happened to Charlie - when he had his near-death experience on the plane, he saw his island life with Claire - his true love. Aww... It turns out that true love is what anchors, not just Desmond and Penny but, every character on this show. I think that's a terrific plot element! Love it!

I thought this was the most heartbreaking moment of the night:

Watching Charlie drown AGAIN
tied with
Desmond's underwater flashbacks to Penny and him together in the "island reality"
tied with
Desmond: "Would you like to go for a coffee?"
Penny: "There's a coffee shop on the corner of Switzer and Melrose. I'll meet you there in an hour."
tied with
Only five new more episodes left!
I was weepy through this whole episode, especially when they played Desmond and Penny's musical thematic line in the music, when Desmond met her at the stadium. Those sad sweet strings. I'm pretty sure it's the same theme that played when Desmond made his phone call on Christmas to Penny. I don't think I've ever discussed the music on LOST, but it probably deserves it's own separate post. The soundtrack is cinema quality - just beautiful and always perfect to the situation.

And finally, here's the funny moment of the night:

Penny: "I shook your hand and you fainted. I must have quite an affect on you."

Why do you think Desmond willingly went with Sayid? Did he see more of the future? Why did the alternate reality Desmond want the list of everyone on flight 815? We learned that Faraday was able to pursue his original dream and become a pianist in the alternate reality, which was kind of cool. We also learned that Mrs. Hawking (a.k.a. Widmore) is creepy and evil no matter what reality she's in, and she's always nasty to Desmond whenever it concerns Penny. I still don't understand Eloise's motivation in all of this. That's actually a nagging question I hope they answer. Is she special like Desmond and can time travel at will? I want Daniel Faraday to show up at my house with his little journal and explain everything to me! What were your favorite moments of the night? Leave me a comment and let me know.

3 comments:

chandy said...

Yay! A blog post from Davina! (Almost as elusive as answers from LOST ;) (just kidding!)

I have nothing further to add...I completely agree with everything you wrote and I can't wait to watch tonight!

Jessie said...

Can't wait for tonight! It's funny, last week we watched this episode again because it was so good!

Also, yes, the music rocks. That's what you get from Michael Giacchino. He's a genius! Love the music from "Up"? That's the same guy!

I can't wait to see who the candidate is?

D.L. White said...

@Chandra - Ha ha. Very funny. :-P

@Jes - We rewatch this episode too. Gotta love the Desmond episodes! I didn't know that's who did the music for the show and for "Up". Very cool. :-)

I think the Candidate is Jack. But I don't think he's going to be the one to save everyone. I think Desmond is the answer. See my other posts for more discussion on that. ;-)