Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Musical Interlude - Love Me Dead

It must have been fate when I heard my first Ludo song.  I mean, how could I possibly not like a band who took their name from a character in one of my favorite movies?  But that's not the only reason I like them. Ludo is one of the most inventive, entertaining and surprising bands I've come across in quite some time.

It's hard to describe their sound or genre.  I suppose they would be classified as "alternative" but simply because they do a little bit of everything and can't be pigeonholed into any one genre.  They can rock out in one song, have a catchy pop tune the next one, and then blast an almost punk vibe, then switch to a sweet ballad - and that's all on one album.  Not only that, but their songs reference such things as pirates, zombies, spacemen, Halloween, time travel, dinosaurs, Star Wars and other geeky stuff, but also have a lot of heart and can be touching and serious.

Several of their songs also showcase a tongue-in-cheek irony and are somewhat satirical. To quote keyboardist Tim Convy, in regards to the band's humor, “It's kind of a blessing and a curse, but it’s a large part of what we do. We’re just trying to be genuine and true to the cornucopia of human experience. We have songs that are dark and creepy as well as songs that are stupid and fun.”

Having said all that, you would assume their music sounds like a messy hodgepodge with no definition or skill.  On the contrary... they somehow make it work and, in my humble opinion, it works quite well.

Ludo's new album will be released on September 7th and I'm more than a little excited. So I've decided that for the next several weeks, Ludo will be taking over my weekly "Musical Interlude" posts as we prepare the preparations for the new album release date.  This is the song and video that started it all for me: "Love Me Dead" off the You're Awful, I Love You album, about a dysfunctional love/hate relationship where you know he/she isn't good for you, but you keep going back for more.  I suspect you will have to watch the video more than once, (like I did) just to catch all the fun sight-gags.  Enjoy!



LOVE ME DEAD
by Ludo

Love me cancerously

Like a salt-sore soaked in the sea.
'High-maintenance' means
You're a gluttonous queen
Narcissistic and mean.

Kill me romantically
Fill my soul with vomit
Then ask me for a piece of gum.
Bitter and dumb
You're my sugarplum.
You're awful, I love you!

CHORUS
She moves through moonbeams slowly
She knows just how to hold me
And when her edges soften
Her body is my coffin
I know she drains me slowly
She wears me down to bones in bed
Must be the sign on my head
That says, oh...
Love me dead!
Love me dead!

You're a faith-healer on T.V.
You're an office park without any trees
Corporate and cold
Gushing for gold
Leave me alone.


You suck so passionately
You're a parasitic, psycho, filthy creature
finger-bangin' my heart
You call me up drunk
Does the fun ever start?
You're hideous and sexy!

REPEAT CHORUS

Must be the sign on my head
That says, oh...
Love me dead!
Love me dead!


SOLO

Love me cancerously
Brrrot-dot-da-d-da-da!
How's your new boy?
Does he know about me?
You've got the mark of the beast.
You're born of a jackal!
You're beautiful!

REPEAT CHORUS

Wha' 'bout that sign on my head
That says, oh...
Love me dead!

2 comments:

hyacinthinemoon said...

I LOVE this video and song. This is the first LUDO song I had ever heard (back when you posted it on your blog last year) and I thought it was so brilliant. The video is so funny, they did such a great job with it, and I can watch it over and over. This band is so fun, but what I really love is that they can really tell a great story with each song. I really like songs that tell stories. Thanks for this post Davina. LUDO ROCKS!

D.L. White said...

You know, I hadn't thought about that, but I think that's why I like them too - I love songs that tell a story. And oh yeah, I love them because they rock too! ;-)