Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Musical Interlude - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Soundtrack

Follow me on this one: in a case of art imitating art imitating art, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is actually a series of comic books (or graphic novels, if you prefer) in which the main character plays in a band. There's much more to them than that, but we'll go with that short explanation for now. The graphic novels inspired a movie directed by the genius, Edgar Wright.  In the film, he had to bring Scott's band, the Sex Bob-omb, to life.  The actors all played their own instruments and sang, and the artist Beck wrote the music for the band.  And that, Gentle Readers, is how we come to today's musical interlude.

This first song by this fictitious, although now somewhat brought to real life, band playing the song called "Garbage Truck" with footage taken directly from the movie.  This song cracked me up, but it also kind of rocked.  And because I just couldn't help myself, I posted a second video from a different, rival band from the film called The Clash at Demonhead.  (There's a lot of focus on the local music scene in the movie.) The song is called "Black Sheep" and it has a retro feel to it. It was recorded by a band called Metric.  The footage for the video was also taken from the movie. YouTube wouldn't let me embed the video, so just click on the picture and it will take you to the video on YouTube.

If you haven't seen the film yet, or read the comic books, I highly recommend both. Especially if you grew up playing video games, since video games are referenced stylistically throughout the story, sometimes just for fun but oftentimes as a metaphor for the challenges Scott faces in his life. There are a few things in the plot I wish weren't there, but for the most part it is good clean fun. And I obviously recommend the soundtrack; everything on it is just fun, good music! If you've seen the film or read the comics, leave me a comment and let me know what you thought of it. 




5 comments:

Laura said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I told Dan about Beck writing the music and I think he wants to see it. Glad to know it ranks high with you... we have VERY similar taste. :)

Laura said...

I don't know how I missed it the first time, but Metric ROCKS this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obV-OL3TwXo&feature=related

D.L. White said...

It's good stuff, isn't it? :-D Metric's version of the song is the one that's on the soundtrack. It's one of my favorite songs on the album.

Laura said...

I love Metric. I wanted their Fantasies album for my birthday but we didn't have any money. :( Maybe Christmas...? :)

My favorite song on the album is Sick Muse.

"Watch out, Cupid stuck me with a sickness
Pull your little arrows out, let me live my life."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEz8N8AT-yo

D.L. White said...

Wow! How funny! I had never heard of Metric before the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack. They just might be a new favorite! ;-)