Pages

Thursday, November 04, 2010

An Overflowing Teacup

At the insistent prodding of my husband, I started this blog on Tuesday, October 31, 2006.  I know, it's a big surprise I started my blog on Halloween, isn't it? (She said sarcastically.) Although it was at a different address than it is now, but a couple days later I moved everything over to Blogger and have never looked back. For those of you who are contemplating starting a blog, I have found Blogger to be extremely easy to use and a very stable hosting site, at least in my limited experience.

In my very first post, I wondered what the purpose should be for this blog.  Initially, it was an extension of the "Mad Tea Party Afternoon" website I shared with a friend of mine, which is now defunct.  The two of us had been commiserating about how we missed the deep discussions and interactions from our college classrooms, and we started the website hoping to re-create some of that dialog and to establish connections to other like-minded art-loving souls via the Internet. On the website, we wrote articles analyzing and discussing the arts (i.e. movies, music, art, literature, etc.), while the blog was more like a journal of my random thoughts, and recountings of the personal things that have happened or were happening in my life, and other such things.  I look back on those posts now and cringe. It's like discovering your diary from when you were twelve:  kind of interesting, kind of endearing, but mostly embarrassing. 

Eventually the Mad Tea Party Afternoon website gave up the ghost and we shut it down.  The only visitors we ever attracted were spambots and hackers. It was too much work, too expensive to host and, at the time, blogs were all the rage, they were free and they seemed to be superseding traditional websites.  So the purpose of my blog slowly morphed into discussing the arts and for posting articles that I used to post on the website.

The following year, I evaluated the blog and vowed to post more articles and less lists. Reading that today made me smile, because I had forgotten how obsessed I was with writing and posting lists. I still am, but they don't make it onto the blog as often anymore.  I also said I wanted to continue to focus on writing about the arts instead of my everyday life, saying I didn't want the blog to turn into "an autobiographical navel-gazing type thing."  And yet, I find there are moments where I still do that (just recently, in fact).  I also said I wanted to post more regularly and consistently.  Four years into this venture and that is still an ongoing challenge, one that I hope I'm slowly getting better at.  These were all good blogging goals to have, and ones that I'm yet again going to re-commit myself to.  A dear friend also sent me a link to these blogging guidelines, which I'm going to keep in mind as well.  So, I thank you, Gentle Readers, for sticking with me on this journey over the last four years and I invite you to continue with me, as I refocus as well as expand my goals for this little venture.

Lately, I've been feeling introspective as well as trapped, discouraged, without purpose and just downright stuck, as this recent post illustrates.  We all have our moments, I suppose.  I don't yet have the answers to most of the unhappy "stuck" situations I find myself in, and which I discussed in that post, but I do know a few things. I know that I have an overflowing teacup. I know I'm incredibly privileged to have the means and the time to even mess around with a blog.  I also know that I am blessed beyond measure with a wonderful, loving, encouraging husband and a bunch of caring, supportive friends, who are all cheering me on.  And I know, most of all, that God has blessed me with gifts and talents, and He wants me to use them to reflect His glory.  I don't know exactly what that looks like yet, but I do know that God helps those who help themselves.  I have this wonderful tool - a blog - and I'm going to try and harness it, and use it more effectively, with my talents, for God's glory.  God will take care of the rest.

So what does that mean for you, Gentle Reader?  Well, in the next month or so, you can expect some re-tooling and re-designing of the blog itself (if I can figure out all the code-hacking), and you can expect to see more original works from yours truly (both visual and written), in addition to my usual analytical or expository articles.  Oh yeah... and there will be more tea... Won't you grab a cup and join me?

11 comments:

Laurie B said...

Love it!! And so looking forward to more, more more!!

Laura said...

I am thankful I've been a part of this journey for the past four years and I eagerly wait more posts from my favorite writer (and good friend)!

chandy said...

Just think Davina... if it wasn't for your blog, I might never have introduced myself and started chatting with you, and I might not have such a terrific friend now! Is there nothing the internet can't do? :)

I can't wait to see what is in store with your writing!

(Also...I really, really enjoy doing blog headers and customization...if you wand to work together I'd be thrilled to help you mess with it!)

D.L. White said...

Thank you, friends. Seriously - thank you, thank you, thank you.

@Chandra - I will definitely be hitting you up for some blog-layout help when the time comes! Thanks for offering!

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Pass a cup. - Chad

hyacinthinemoon said...

It's been a blast to read your blog the last 4 years. 2006, is that right? I know our blogs and facebook made our web site completely obsolete, but I am very glad about how these things have all worked out and created something new and better. I look forward to more blog posts from you and reading everything you have to say. Your a dear friend to me.

D.L. White said...

@Kat - I loved our blog and the design concept of it, and our forums. Thanks for following me over to Blogger, and for being one of my faithful readers, and one of my dearest friends! :)

Jessie said...

I'll be there! :)

D.L. White said...

Thanks for the support, Jes! :)

Laura said...

While reading Epbot today, I linked through to this article and thought it fit well with your ideas on what blogging means to you. I love to read your writing and a blog is a great way to "get published" with accessibility to a large number of your fans.

And I mean it... I am a FAN!

D.L. White said...

@Laura - Excellent article - thanks for sharing. And thanks for being a fan. Really, that means a whole lot to me! :D Thanks for the encouragement.