Pages

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Teatime Tuesday

Image taken from Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland.
If you've been reading this blog for any period of time, then you probably know of my love for all things Alice in Wonderland, which is the inspiration for the title and tagline for this blog. There's actually more than one reason that I picked "Storm in a Teacup" for a blog (more on that later) but one of the reasons is that I love hot tea. I'm pretty sure I must have been British in my previous life (not that I believe in previous lives, mind you). So I thought I'd start writing "Teatime Tuesday" posts, and share anything and everything about the wonderful art of "taking tea".

Another thing you probably already know about me from reading my blog, is my love for all things Disney. Today, two of my favorite things combine - tea and Disney. I'm in my happy place.

Found on Amazon.com.

Found at the Disney Store.
One of my dear friends brought me back some Alice in Wonderland tea from her last trip to Disneyland, along with this cute Mickey Mouse tea ball/tea diffuser. Isn't it adorable? She brought me a tin of the Mad Tea Party blend. It has fruity, ginger, peach and apricot notes and is definitely a desert tea. It was so yummy, that when I took my trip to Disneyland in October, I purchased a tin of the Un-Birthday Tea blend. It is a black tea similar to English Breakfast. The tea is of really good quality and the Mad Hatter's crazy tea making instructions on the tin are pretty funny. Leave it to Disney to have excellent quality tea and awesome packaging, with no detail left untouched by Disney magic.

Found at the Disney Store.
When I went to pull up pictures of these wonderful finds on the internet, I came across some other Disney - tea items that I might have to put on my wish list. For example, check out this Alice in Wonderland tea press. I've used tea presses before in fancy restaurants and cafes, but have never owned one. They certainly do make a good cup of tea, and having one with Alice in Wonderland silhouettes cut into it would just make me smile.

But what if you want to make a lot of tea? Why not use this adorable Mickey Mouse tea kettle? For as much as I love Disney, I'm not the type to have my house covered in all kinds of Disney swag (believe it or not) but seriously, how could you not smile with this sitting on your stove?

Found at the Disney Store.

I'm going to make myself a cup of tea - probably Sleepytime, since I'm posting this at 11:30 PM - but while I'm gone, leave me a comment and let me know what you think. Do you "take tea"? What's your favorite way to have it?

P.S. If your name is Shawn and you're reading this, consider this post a big hint for "good gift ideas" for the wife for Christmas. (wink) Love you!

7 comments:

Laura said...

Well, what do you know, I'm having a cup of English Breakfast with milk and two sugars right now. I know, that's no surprise. Just yesterday, Dan made coffee and asked if I would like a cup. I said, "No thanks, I'm off coffee." My home drinking experience has become almost exclusively of the tea variety.

I must admit, I am a tea snob. No Lipton. No Luzianne. If it's not from Africa or at least India, I want no part. I suppose it's like anything else in that once you've had the best, it's next to impossible to ever go back. And FYI, I'm a mil. :)

I could go on and on about how I love tea, but I will close by sharing a few tea poems with you. Enjoy with a cuppa.

"Tea does our fancy aid, Repress those vapours which the head invade And keeps that palace of the soul serene." ~Edmund Waller

"I had a little tea party this afternoon at three.
'Twas very small-three guest in all-
Just I, myself and me.
Myself ate all the sandwiches while I drank up the tea
'Twas also I who ate the pie
And passed the cake to me." ~Jessica Nelson North

"May the strength of your tea strengthen your day" ~Me

Wonderland Soup said...

Ooh, nice post - and a most charming kettle - it would match my Mickey popcorn popper

But the real reason I'm commenting is to say that if you like Alice (and tea things) then you might like my blog Wonderland Soup. It's quite new, so of course I'm looking for readers. If you have the time, do please pop in the kettle's always on ;)

http://wonderlandsoup.blogspot.com/

(I drink Twinings Earl Grey in case you're interested :p)

D.L. White said...

@Laura - I'm so glad the weather is finally turning cooler around here. It's definitely been putting me in a tea drinking mood. I love love love the poems you shared! (That will definitely be part of my Teatime Tuesdays, btw, is poems and quotes about tea.) Although, I must admit I'm stumped... what's a "mil"? Mother-in-Law? Military? Millionaire? Typo?

@Wonderland - Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I just checked out your blog - it's terrific! I love it! I've signed up to "follow" you thru Blogger, and I'll be putting a link on my page to your blog. Cheers!

Laura said...

mif = milk in first
mil = milk in last

I like my tea mil because I like the hot tea to melt all the sugar first and then I add the milk.

And again, no surprise, I'm enjoying a cuppa right now with a few (ok, several) nyakers pepparkakor. Feels like Christmas in my mouth.

D.L. White said...

Ah, we make our tea exactly the same way. Great minds think alike!

LOL @ "Feels like Christmas in my mouth." :P

Wonderland Soup said...

Oh, hey - thanks for adding me to your blogroll - I've never been in a blogroll before so I'm very chuffed.

I'm also mil - although a huge number of Brits are mif - even if they're making their tea with a bag (I find it mildly nauseating, the sight of a tea bag sitting in a pool of milk, but there you go.)

Apparently the milk in first thing dates form teapots and china cups - you would put the milk in first so that the hot tea wouldn't crack your delicate china (or so I've heard - I don't know if it's actually true...)

D.L. White said...

You have a fun blog! Like going virtual shopping with a fellow Alice-loving friend.

Interesting tidbit about the milk and the china. You learn something new every day! :)