Pages

Monday, December 06, 2010

Musical Interlude - Zooey Deschanel

It's that time of year again, when the Valley of the Sun pretends to experience winter weather, the streets are filled with stressed-out crazed drivers anxious to get all their shopping done, my neighbors beat me yet again at getting the outside Christmas lights up, and my weekly musical interludes turn to Christmas music.

I don't remember much about the movie Elf, except that it was cute and funny. I also remember being impressed with Zooey Deschanel's singing.  Below is a link to her singing, "Baby, It's Cold Outside" in the film.  It turns out that in addition to being an actress, Zooey has her own folk/indie band called She & Him and she writes her own songs.  I definitely recommend you check out some of their stuff. (I love this one song in particular.) She has a voice that is perfectly suited to an old fashioned way of singing. I just love the quality and color of her voice.  I hope you like her too.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I hadn't heard of Zooey until the movie Elf, but I too was impressed with her singing. She also sings a bit in the movie Bridge to Tarabithia, as the school music teacher.

The video from She & Him is cute because it's so over-the-top morbid compared to the happy-go-lucky sound of the song. Well done.

D.L. White said...

Oh, that's right! I always forget she's in that movie as the music teacher. Good movie.

hyacinthinemoon said...

Yay for "Elf." I just watched that movie last night. I really love this scene where Zooey sings in the shower. I like her voice so much. I never reazlied until much later that she was in the movie of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy." IThanks for posting this clip, it just so cute and makes me smile!

D.L. White said...

I love her in Hitchhiker's Guide. :)