Pages

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Teatime Tuesday - Want to go for a spin?

Photo courtesy of Disney's website.

I've professed before on this blog, of my love for all things Disney and all things Alice, so of course, I love it when those two things intersect. Take for example, the tea cup ride at Disneyland.

Disney's Alice in Wonderland animated film premiered in July 28th, 1951. The Mad Hatter's Tea Party attraction opened a few years later on June 17th, 1958. The ride is located in Fantasyland and is inspired by the "unbirthday" celebration sequence in the film with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare throwing a crazy tea party. The ride control house looks like Rabbit's house from the film. There are colorful Japanese lanterns strung over the tea party, along with lots of plants and real flowers, as well as large metal flowers that all add to the garden party feel or setting of the ride. The ride is whimsical and fun, and I think the art design of the ride really captures the spirit of the tea party in the film.

There are 18 brightly colored giant tea cups to chose from and they spin on three different revolving platters which are all mounted on one larger turntable. You control how fast your tea cup spins by rotating the wheel in the center of your teacup. That's a whole lot of twisting, spinning, madness!

If you ever get a chance to visit - then make note that the orange diamond-decorated cup is the fastest spinner, along with the purple cup. If you'd rather take a leisurely spin through the tea party, then try to get one of the two heart cups, which are the slowest. It's better to ride this attraction earlier in the day, because the lines and wait times are longer when it gets later into the day. However, my favorite time to ride the tea cups is at night, because the lighting is just beautiful. The Japanese lanterns are lit with a wonderful glow and the large metal flowers also serve as lamps, with lights in the blossoms. It really does add another magical level to the experience.

Below is a fun video of the ride, taken from inside one of the tea cups. I hear that song and I can't help but smile. :-) A very merry unbirthday to you! :-)

Have you ever taken a spin on the tea cups? Or do you avoid rides like this because of motion sickness? What's your favorite ride at Disneyland? Leave me a comment and let me know.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, that video was so much fun! I watched, with teacup in hand, and smiled imagining I was on the ride for real. What a treat. :)

There were empty teacups! I guess early morning in June is a fabulous time to hit Fantasyland! Next time.. ;)

My favorite ride in Fantasyland is Peter Pan's flight. LOVE that ride! I like pretty much any ride in the park as long as I don't get wet. As far as I know, that only eliminates Splash Mountain which is too bad because I love the Song of the South.

Here's hoping I get to experience the Disney magic again soon!

D.L. White said...

Just writing this blog post made me all wound up about going back for another visit! :) Gotta love Disney.

Laura said...

I didn't know there were different speeds of teacups. Where did you find that Disney trivia?

D.L. White said...

On one of the fan sites, here.

Jessie said...

That video made me dizzy! We don't really like the ride at all, and tend to avoid it. My husband hates the ride. I mean, HATES. He hates that his legs get cramped up in those silly tea cups and then he's forced to propel us round and round faster and faster...All in all, it makes me laugh, but he hates it.

StephQJ said...

Love your blog! Am linking to your Alice from mine!